G-Speed Studio R Red LED One Drive Dead - Help!

Hi All

I have a 16TB G-Speed Studio R (4x drives) set up in raid 0. I am getting a red LED on drive 4 and ‘Drive Dead’ and ‘Degraded’ warnings in the G-Speed utility (pics attached).

I have read on this forum that the drive itself is often not the problem and the bay can be reset using Terminal. However the initial command ‘gspeed2util’ to bring up the G-Speed details in Terminal is not working for me - I just get ‘command not found’.

Can anyone please help with this? (I’m not an expert with Terminal).

I’m on a 2014 retina i-mac 10.14.6.

John

Hi JohnGilluley,
have a look at below article which addresses exactly the issue you are describing and gives a full description with screen shots:
https://support-en.g-technology.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/706

Hopefully this helps.

How did U fix this?

Hi

You’ll see in an earlier post I was advised to use TERMINAL (on the MAC) to re-set the drive. This fix worked intermitently but the problem always came back after a few hours. In the end I bought a new 4TB drive and replaced it myself (easy) then erased and re-formatted the entire G-Raid and set up a new RAID5 configuration (not so easy).

You will need the G-Raid utility software which can be downloaded from their website. But I found the instructions provided by G-Tech on how to use the software were baffling!

Then I found there are a number of videos on YouTube about setting up G-Raid drives and re-setting the RAID configurations. This one (link below) helped me the most. I basically just followed what they did. RAID How-To | Setting up a RAID Configuration - YouTube

John