G-RAID Studio 8TB

Hi, my G-RAID studio 8TB drive ejected itself and the G logo is flashing red, what does it mean? I re-powered the drive and the problem persists. Appreciate any advice or help on this. Thank you.

It means there is likely an issue with one of the drives. If you open the top panel and look at the drives one of them should have a red light on it signifying that it has failed or at least is out of sync with the other drive.

If you left the drive as is out of the box then it is RAID0 and it would mean the data on the device is lost. If you converted it to RAID1 then it is mirrored and if one drive goes out the other takes over and maintains the data. In that event if the drive is under warranty still then you would remove the one that has a red light on it, remove it from the tray entirely so it is just the bare drive and create an RMA on the HGST website to get a replacement. HGST RMA Creation

Thank you Rydia. The drive is RAID 0. Is it possible to recover the data?

If it is RAID0 then there is no recovery on a normal usage. You would need to contact a data recovery company for recovery of data from that. Data Recovery

I bought 2 new 4TB drives to replace the corrupted drives and tried to recreate the 8TB RAID0 with the Configurator but the red light comes on as before. Am I missing something?

Could it be the G-RAID studio hardware problem instead of the drives?

Could someone tell me if I need to erase the new drives as Mac OS Extended before inserting them into the G-RAID studio to create the RAID? The LED light flashes red and the Mac cannot detect it. Thanks

No you create the RAID with the configurator, then erase them in Disk Utility. What type of drives did you put in the enclosure? Make sure they are flush with the backplane of the unit and are all the way attached. Also make sure you are using the proper power adapter 12v and 4a

Thanks, Rydia. The brand new replacement drives are WD Black 4TB. I did check to ensure that they were inserted all the way. The power adapter is the original one that came with the G-RAID. If it is an enclosure issue, do you think I should put the original drives which I thought have failed in another 3rd party RAID enclosure so I could retrieve the data? Thank you.

The drives will only work as part of the G-RAID, the RAID controller has to be the same or else the drives cannot be read.