G-SPEED Shuttle/Studio XL Thunderbolt 2/3 Ports Breaking - Need Replacing

I am the media manager at a small production video company and we currently own 25 different G-SPEED Studio/Shuttle XL Thunderbolt 2/3 Hard Drives. They have been great so far however 4 of the hard drives have recently had one of the thunderbolt 2/3 ports either break or get pushed into the chassis so it is completely inaccessible. Luckily two of the hard drives are still under warranty and can be replaced but two of the hard drives are not under warranty anymore so I cannot send them into be repaired or replaced.

Has anyone had this issue before? and if so are there any good solutions or good companies who can help fix the thunderbolt ports? Any suggestions are welcomed.

Hi,

We regret to inform you that physical damaged drives are not eligible for replacement as per western Digital warranty policy.

Find below the link for Western Digital warranty policy:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/Warranty_Policy

Also, please Contact Us for any further assistance.

Hello Paul, we seem to have the same problem here. Have you by any chance found a solution to this? How did this end in your case?

Hey there,

The G-SPEED Shuttle/Studio XL Thunderbolt 2/3 Hard Drives come with a 5 year warranty that allows to replace the entire drive via an RMA (Return Authorization Authorization) but they don’t do any repairs to the existing hard drive. So basically if your hard drive is past its 5 year warranty and it has damaged Thunderbolt 2/3 ports then it’s just an expensive paper weight. Only other option would be trying to repair it yourself (I couldn’t find any resources or guides on how to do that) or try and find a 3rd party repair service (I also couldn’t find any other resource for a 3rd party who repairs G-SPEED Shuttle/Studio XL hard drive).

Hello Paul, thank you very much for a quick reply! I really appreciate it! / Chris