G-Raid Thunderbolt 2 8T 2016 and Mac OS Big Sur

Hi,

I have a 2016 G-Raid Thunderbolt 2 and 2016 Mac OS Big Sur. I am unable to mount the drive for raid setup using the Thunderbolt 2 cable. It does mount as a non- raid setup.

I read in another forum that mounting with USB a should work. The hard drive only has two Thunderbolt 2 ports. I bought a converter to USB A and when I plug it in to my computer, it does not show up in the finder.

Has anyone been able to solve this problem?

Can anyone respond to my inquiry? @Neha_07 any ideas?

Hi @Chefnewman,

I would request you to please install G-RAID with Thunderbolt 2 converter, please refer to the link below:

https://support-en.g-technology.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/768

1 Like

@Neha_07 Thank you for responding! It says I can do it with 3rd party software SoftRaid (not free but 14 day trial) or through the terminal. Can you please direct me to a guide on how I can do it through the terminal.

Appreciate it!
Steve

@Neha_07 I just finished working with support for SOFTRAID. They told me their product doesn’t support Time Machine backups and that I would need to use Apple Raid in the disk utility. I understand that the current Disk Utility does not have a Raid option. Is there an alternative way to set this up, for example in the terminal?

@Neha_07 I figured it out!

In the disk utility there is a file option in the top left of the screen. If you click on File then Raid Assistant, it configures it as a Raid. I had to do it from the command R reboot of my machine because I had all kinds of strange things going on after I installed SOFTRAID.