G-RAID Studio 8T RAID controller issue

I have an old G-RAID Studio, no longer supported by WD. The drives are both fine and I’m using them for backup at the moment. The unit is no longer showing up when connected to my Mac. The drives seem to spin up and the light comes on solid, but no connection. Is there any way to get the controller repaired/replaced or am I SOL?
Thanks
Dermod

Hi @Dermod,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

Hello Keerti, I’ll do that. Thank you!
Best
Derm

There may be several reasons why the G-RAID Studio is no longer showing up when connected to your Mac. It could be due to a faulty controller, a problem with the USB or Thunderbolt cable, or an issue with the power supply.

Unfortunately, if the unit is no longer supported by WD, it may be challenging to get the controller repaired or replaced by the manufacturer. However, you may be able to find a third-party repair service that can diagnose and fix the problem.

Before exploring repair options, you can try some basic troubleshooting steps. For example, you can try connecting the unit to a different computer, using a different USB or Thunderbolt cable, or plugging the power supply into a different outlet. You can also try resetting the unit by disconnecting it from power and then reconnecting it.

If none of these steps work, it may be time to explore repair options. You can search for a reputable data recovery or repair service that specializes in external hard drives. Be sure to read reviews and check the service’s credentials before sending your device in for repair.

If repair is not an option or is too expensive, you may be able to salvage the drives by removing them from the G-RAID Studio enclosure and using them in a different external hard drive enclosure or docking station. However, be aware that this may void any remaining warranty on the drives.

1 Like