G-RAID GEN4 4TB Not Powering up / Blinking white light

Hello there.
My G-RAID GEN4 4TB is not powering up. When i try to power it up the white light blinks. It is set up as a Raid 1 Mirror. I desperately need what’s on this drive. What should I do? Can I remove the physical drives from the enclosure and mount one up in a separate enclosure and then copy it to a new raid enclosure or is this a situation where the physical drive will not boot without the enclosure??

thanks for your help!!

bump. please

@nohopesyoyo

If the light on the front of the unit is blinking only when powered up then it could be related to the adapter. Double check and make sure the light on the adapter isn’t also blinking. If it is then it is definitely an adapter that has gone bad and needs to be replaced. Also check to make sure you are using the proper adapter and that is is outputting 12v and 4amps.

The drive can be removed from the enclosure but it is 2 drives inside there. In order to get access to the data you would need to put it into another G-RAID GEN4 enclosure. You would only need to attempt that after you have ruled out the AC adapter as the issue.

thank you. so let me get this straight - as a mirrored raid which should be two identical drives, i cannot remove them both and mount one of them in a different enclosure and retrieve what is on it??? i’m confused. what is the point of mirroring then if i can’t do that?

Sorry as a mirror it is capable of that but the G-RAID GEN4 wasn’t user changable by our support. It was sold as a RAID0 only device, not RAID1. If you were able to convert the RAID at some point on your own then it could work that way outside of the enclosure.

thank you. ok… so the white led on the enclosure blinks when i hold the power button. it does this in synch with the led on the actual adapter. does this mean my adapter is dead for sure? and if so how can i get another one? is there a generic one i can buy somewhere or should i order from you guys? thank you

That is an adapter failure. We don’t have them for purchase but you can get them here: G-RAID AC Adapter

I’ve got the same issue: G-Raid Gen4 2TB, won’t power up. The light just blinks. I’ve removed both drives and verified that they both spin up, but are unreadable. I have a “G-RAID2 1000 GB” that I’m not currently using. Can I swap the drives to this enclosure? Will the 2 1TB drives be readable there? It’s power supply is not interchangeable, or I’d try that.
Thanks.

No, the drives will not work in another generation enclosure. They would require being placed in another enclosure of the same Gen.

Hi there,
I have a similar problem.

My G-RAID 2TB is not powering up and blinking with white light. The power adapter is also blinking. I checked the power adapter with another G raid 8tb drive and is working. Does that mean the drive is gone or the enclosure?

The power adapter light should not be blinking.

Does the power adapter blink only when attached to the drive or even when not attached to the drive?

If it is only when attached then the enclosure is the issue. If it blinks while not attached to the drive then the power adapter is the issue.

Hi Rydia,
Well, it blinks when connected to the enclosure.
I was advised by G tech team to open it and try to put the hdd into my other 8tb G-raid and the same thing happens inside the other enclosure. I also swapped the hdds and it seems that both enclosures work with the 8tb hdds but not the 2tb? Any ideas?

Thanks

If it blinks when plugged in as I said it is an enclosure issue. However your 8TB and 2TB units are very likely to be different generations. They are not cross compatible. Your 2TB is likely a GEN 2 or 3 G-RAID where your 8TB is either 4 thru 7.

They only can be swapped between identical generations or else there will be no recognition.

Hi I meant to say 4tb not 8tb. It is also firewire 800

Still same answer, the bottom of the drive will mention the generation in its name. You can also call in to support directly and provide serial #s

Hi Rydia,
Thanks for your help. It seems that both enclosures 4tb and 2tb are GEN 4. I opened the enclosure and I disconnected each hdd at the time and switch on the enclosure only with one drive connected at the time. The result is that when one of the drives is connected, the enclosure switches on. However when the other hdd is plugged in while this time the other drive is disconnected, the enclosure doesn’t want to switch on. What I get is flashing LED. I swapped the drives and the same happens. It seems that only one HDD is effected. Whether I rewire the cables top to bottom the same thing happens just with this particular drive.

Many thanks
R

Hi there, I’ve literally just had this problem.

I have a G-Raid with Thunderbolt 8GB device.

Went to boot it up as normal and the drives didn’t spin up, they started to and then stopped leaving the device connected and with the light on but nothing showing on the desktop or the system info (i’m on a Mac Pro).

The drive is configured as Raid 1 so mirrored.

As its out of warranty I took it apart and using a desktop drive mount I tested each drive - they both span up fine, all my files in tact and both a mirror of each other - so no data lost (thank the lord for that !).

Put it all back together and same issue. I then disconnected one of the drives inside the drive case and it span up perfectly.

So my thinking is that whatever tells each drive to ‘play nice’ is not working. Does anyone know what this ‘bit’ is and whether it can be fixed or am I looking at running this as a single 4GB drive with another as a back up of where I’m up to.

Appreciate the forum’s help with this.

Thanks,

James

@GeordieJames

The issue you are reporting sounds like a lack of power more than anything. The G-RAID w/ TB requires a 12v 4a power supply. It sounds like you might have plugged it in with an under-powered adapter and that is why it only was able to notice a single drive at a time.

It is also possible the enclosure has failed after a time but in most cases this is due to lack of power.

Well that was embarrassingly simple to fix !

Thanks so much, I had inadvertently plugged the power supply for my 6TB G-Drive USB into the G-Raid w/TB.

I have now labelled them …which obviously i should have done before.

Thanks again,

James