Full Factory Restore now at 62+ hours!

Try performing a 40 second system restore if you haven’t done so already.

http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=13986

UPDATE - This has probably been the most frustrating computer-related problems I have ever experienced. The 40 second restore process was proceeding without issue. I knew it was going to be a long time before completion so I let it run while I took care of the errands I needed to run. When I returned home later in the day I was hoping I would see a nice steady blue led. When I opened the front door I saw something much worse.

The clock on the stove was flashing.

Of all the times for a power outage, this was pretty bad. Plus, the clock was showing the correct time, which means it was only off for a second or two at the most! That’s never good for electrical devices.

When I looked at the drive, the led was steady Red.

Nothing I tried had any effect, so I performed another 40-second reset. It’s been running for a few hours with a steady white LED. I’m going to let it run undisturbed for a few days. If it’s not operational, I might begin the unbricking procedure.

I pray it doesn’t come to that, but if it does, can anyone point me towards a virgin 6TB image?

I’ll keep you posted.

Thank you.

UPDATE - The drive is still in the process of doing something. The LED is still steady White and I consider that to be a good sign (better than Red LED). Also, when I log onto my router, the My Cloud now appears in the Attached Devices list. For the first few hours of this reset, the drive wasn’t on the router list at all. I was going to try to access the dashboard via the IP address, but I don’t want to take a chance on that causing a problem.

I’ll let her keep doing whatever it is she’s doing. Maybe I’ll get lucky.

Thoughts? Opinions?

3 days ago I performed a 40-second reset. Since then I’ve let my 6TB My Cloud 5run uninterrupted with its steady white LED staring me in the eye (laughing, no doubt). I can see the drive as an attached device when I log onto my router. If I open windows explorer, I can see a device called MyCloud is detected in the Network group, along with all my other network drives (which includes another 6TB My Cloud, a 2TB My Cloud Mirror and a couple My Book Live drives). If I try to click on the WDMYCLOUD icon for my problematic drive, A Network Error window opens that says:

“Windows cannot access \WDMYCLOUD”

Under details, it says:

“Error Code: 0x80070035
The network path was not found.”

If I click Diagnose, it returns the following:

“The remote device or resource won’t accept the connection”

Under details:

"The device or resource (WDMYCLOUD) is not set up to accept connections on port “The File and printer sharing (SMB)” "

There is no physical indication of drive activity except for a faint, soft ‘thump’ I can feel every 5 to 10 seconds if I hold my hand on the drive itself.

Is it still trying to finish the 40-second reset process I started 3 days ago? 6TB is a big drive. Could the process be going slower than normally expected? I don’t want to give up and concede defeat, but if I have bricked this drive, I want to get the repair process going sooner than later.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you!

[Offtop]
Full fatory restore - 60+ hours.
Unbricking - ~ 20 min.
[/Offtop]
WD should dismiss FW developers…

I know, you’re right. I was hoping the drive would get itself back to a point where I could do a quick factory restore. Not looking very likely at this point.

I have started to research the un-bricking process. I would feel more confident if I had a virgin 6TB image, but others have had success without one, so I will give it a try when I feel I fully understand the process.