Frustrated dosent describe my issues

I would appreicate any help anyone can offer (and please dont tell me to read the online instructions they are not helping)

I have a few issues, the biggest of them is when I am out side of my home network I cant stream from my WD cloud… why

2nd issue, the drive keeps changing IP addresses. I am not sure how to set a static IP or even if its safe to do. I have read that some users after setting a static IP the cloud became unusable

3rd some how my remote devices are regiestering with my gmail address rather than my main email. I have my main email listed and confirmed but yet for some reason it is picking up a gmail acct

I really want to use this hard drive to stream and access files but ive only had headaches

HELP

In what way is remote streaming not working?
What devices are you trying to use to stream remotely?
What media are you trying to stream?
What tool are you using to gain access?
What tool are you using to play media?
What is your broadband uplink rate at home?
What is your broadband downlink rate remotely?

1. The changing IP address will be caused by your router, not the MyCloud. Log in to your router’s admin page, and find the IP address page. Look for a setting that says something like ‘always use this address’ for the MyCloud, and select it.

2. For the devices that use a gmail account, are they Android devices, by any chance…?

adtdream wrote:

I would appreicate any help anyone can offer (and please dont tell me to read the online instructions they are not helping)

Please read the maual. it has a lot of info which can help :dizzy_face:

I have a few issues, the biggest of them is when I am out side of my home network I cant stream from my WD cloud… why

You need to give more info. What is the actual problem. Basically, it depends on the quality of your remote connection and your upload speed from home. check with your ISP or test your home conenction Here.

2nd issue, the drive keeps changing IP addresses. I am not sure how to set a static IP or even if its safe to do. I have read that some users after setting a static IP the cloud became unusable.

Again not clear, how often does it change? At basic level, the drive will contact the DHCP server (your router) and will request an IP address. That address is leased for a period of time. When this lease ends the drive (which has the DHCP client) will contact the router (which has the DHCP server) and request to renew the lease, the router decides whether to renew the lease or give a new address. In some routers, including mine, the lease time is programmable so I can set it to along period or short period. It is the router decision what to do when contacted. check your router. I cannot beleive your router is being overworked to keep changing the address (a typical home router will have a total 253 free addresses excluding 0 and 255 for broadcasting) and well behaved modern DHCP sever will re-issue the same address if it is available. More efficient this way.

On the other hand you might have bad connections.

I cannot see how giving a static address can make it unusable!!! However, some WD applications hard wire the IP address to the app (bad WD). In this case you can modify the shortcut  in property to mdoify the ip address.  You can go to your router, find the wdmycloud device and make it static/permanent (look for something like DHCP reservation). Maybe your router will behave.

3rd some how my remote devices are regiestering with my gmail address rather than my main email. I have my main email listed and confirmed but yet for some reason it is picking up a gmail acct

Nothing to do with the device, however when it sends a confirmation it will contact your ISP. I had a similar issue but not with mycloud. GMAIL hosts Virginmedia emails. when mail apps try to autoconfig they pick up the gmail which is not correct as I am not registered so I have to modify by hand. Could be something similar, hard to tell.

I really want to use this hard drive to stream and access files but ive only had headaches

HELP

Thank you all for responding and I apologize for not being more clear.

1. when I am trying to connect remotely I either get a error connection 905 and have to remove the cloud device from the app and add it mannualy.

2. I am trying to stream video files on numerous android (phones and tablets) as well as apple (phone and Ipad)

3. I am trying to stream using the WD cloud app in both the play store and itunes

4. I am running Verizon DSL at home with avarage speed of 7 MBPS down and 4 MBPS UP

5. I am not sure what speed my mobile devices are running at off site they are verizon 4G LTE

I am not sure where it is getting the gmail address because the email I provided in the my cloud desk top is my Yahoo address. I dont even use my gmail acct

I didnt mean to sound ungreatful or smart in my last email. I am just frustrated and the past few times i searched for help i was directed to the FAQ instructions. They are helpfull but dont help in all areas, everyone has been great I just am a bit disappointed that i havent been able to use my cloud fully yet

I haven’t seen this error 905  on wdmycloud  (yet).

1st obviously make sure wdmycloud works at home.

if looks like it is local error on your device, quick Google found this.Check them out.

Google search 905

there a couple of soutions there.