Freezes when playing Netflix after 2.06.10 update

My Live Hub seems to be freezing even more frequently with the new firmware.  I can’t watch even five minutes of something on Netflix without having my Live Hub completely freeze, to the point where I have to unplug the unit.  I’m in the same boat as a couple other people who have posted on this thread.  One of the main reasons that I purchased the Live Hub is for Netflix.  I have a Wii in my kids play room which never has a problem playing Netflix media.  WD, please do something, this is ridiculous.

Just adding my voice to this call for action from WD.

I recently started experiencing freezes, which requires me to pull the plug on my Hub and reconnect it.

What’s strange is that I get freezes in titltes that I have previously had no problems with (Toy Story 3 for instance) and I haven’t updated firmware or anything.

Can the problem be due to sudden fall outs in my internet connection? In any case I don’t think that should cause the Hub to freeze (forever).

Kasper.

I’m on the same boat.  My Live Hub streamed Netflix quite well, with the occasional freeze requiring a reboot by unplugging.  However, at some point over the last week or so, I can no longer stream anything from Netflix without my box freezing up within the first few seconds.  Extremely frustrating, given that this is the primary purpose that I purchased the device.

I closed the other thread you were a part of and move you all into a new thread.  We want to track this differently.  

There may be a couple of issues to consider here that may not have anything to do with the firmware. 

1. Check to make sure that your fan is still running.  If the fan has failed, then overheating could cause the Hub to start freezing up.  If that’s your issue then you will need to RMA the device.
  2. Not enough bandwidth.  I have tried watching Netlix on my Laptop via a wireless connection.  It freezes up on me immediately.  I have no such issue using My Live Hub because it’s wired.  Make sure that  you network connection has the bandwidth to handle streaming.
  3. Quality of service.  Does your internet service provide enough bandwidth for Netflix streaming?  Especially if the shows/movies are in HD.

If you can hear the fan running, and you are wired to your router, and you are getting at least 2 MB’s of download bandwidth from your internet provider, then we may have to look at other possibilities.

Thanks for replying to someone else’s plea for help as mine is still left unanswered.   

1.  Fan is still running.

1. Already RMA’d device and replacement unit does the same thing.  No issue however, with the PS3 or laptop using Netflix.

2. Already checked with service provider.  there are no bandwidth throttling or any other ISP imposed restrictions in effect for my line.  As a matter of fact, I am using Verizon FIOS -  I am subscribing to the 20MB/20MB (up and down) so bandwidth is not an issue for me.

**** FYI -  the last time it froze and I unplugged the unit and it no longer recognized the internal storage which contained all my movies / pictures …etc…  I got tired of the run around from WD Tech support especially when they would not  even hear about trying to assist with data retrieval.   Loss of data  from hard resets appparently is a risk you take when you  unplug the device.  For me this was not an option so I opened up the unit and retrieved data myself.  Apparently there is a disconnect between the OS and the Storage media  -  I have learned so much about  the media hub by having such a bad experience with it.  So I ask WD…do you want to work with me to figure out  this Netflix Freeze issue or just keep ignoring me?

Bill - thank you for responding.

1. The fan is still running when the Hub freezes during Netflix streaming

2. I am able to stream Netflix on 2 other wireless devices (one Win7 notebook, one Win XP notebook) in the same room without interruption.  A Sony PS3 at the complete opposite end of the house is also able to stream Netflix uninterrupted with a significantly decreased WiFi signal.  I am  able to stream 720p .mkv files from my home server to the Hub without interruption, so my wireless network’s bandwitdth should not be an issue.

3.  I am a Verizon fios subscriber with plenty of download bandwidth.  As mentioned in point #2, every other device in my house streams Netflix uninterupted.

Thanks again,

Dan 

DUuDE wrote:

Thanks for replying to someone else’s plea for help as mine is still left unanswered.   

1. Already RMA’d device and replacement unit does the same thing.  No issue however, with the PS3 or laptop using Netflix.
  1. Already checked with service provider.  there are no bandwidth throttling or any other ISP imposed restrictions in effect for my line.  As a matter of fact, I am using Verizon FIOS -  I am subscribing to the 20MB/20MB (up and down) so bandwidth is not an issue for me.

**** FYI -  the last time it froze and I unplugged the unit and it no longer recognized the internal storage which contained all my movies / pictures …etc…  I got tired of the run around from WD Tech support especially when they would not  even hear about trying to assist with data retrieval.   Loss of data  from hard resets appparently is a risk you take when you  unplug the device.  For me this was not an option so I opened up the unit and retrieved data myself.  Apparently there is a disconnect between the OS and the Storage media  -  I have learned so much about  the media hub by having such a bad experience with it.  So I ask WD…do you want to work with me to figure out  this Netflix Freeze issue or just keep ignoring me?

What router are you using?  Can you turn off the UPnP option in the router and see if the issue persists?

djsaitta wrote:

Bill - thank you for responding.

1. The fan is still running when the Hub freezes during Netflix streaming
  1. I am able to stream Netflix on 2 other wireless devices (one Win7 notebook, one Win XP notebook) in the same room without interruption.  A Sony PS3 at the complete opposite end of the house is also able to stream Netflix uninterrupted with a significantly decreased WiFi signal.  I am  able to stream 720p .mkv files from my home server to the Hub without interruption, so my wireless network’s bandwitdth should not be an issue.
  1.  I am a Verizon fios subscriber with plenty of download bandwidth.  As mentioned in point #2, every other device in my house streams Netflix uninterupted.

Thanks again,

Dan 

What router are you using?  Can you turn off the UPnP option in the router and see if the issue persists?

I had a similar problem myself, and I had determined that it was the DNS being forwarded from my router.  You may want to try entering a manual DNS entry on the WDTV in the network settings such as 208.67.222.222 or 8.8.8.8.

The first is OpenDNS and the secondary is Google DNS.  After testing one of those on my WDTV, retrieving data from Netflix and streaming seemed to speed up considerably.

Another thing you may want to check, depending on your actual ISP download speeds, is the quality setting on the Netflix site.  You can adjust your bandwidth usage there.  I have mine set to highest and I’m having no problems with watching HD titles on the WDTV after those minor changes.

I am having this same issue and it has continued for almost 2 weeks. I have to unplug the WDHub in order to reset it after it freezes while watching Netflix. I do not have this problem on any of my other Netflix streaming devices (My Sony TV and Sony Blu-Ray player).

I have also lost all of my music files stored on the LiveHub by puling the plug on it (I had no other choice). Luckily I have it all backed up, but this is rediculous. WD PLEASE FIX THIS! Don’t make me have to return this and resort to Sony’s LiveHub option! 

This Netflix freeze issue happened to me for the first time yesterday. Fortunately, I did not lose any data on the internal hard drive. I will be watching this thread and hoping the issue does not reoccur.

DUuDE wrote:

1. Already checked with service provider.  there are no bandwidth throttling or any other ISP imposed restrictions in effect for my line.  As a matter of fact, I am using Verizon FIOS -  I am subscribing to the 20MB/20MB (up and down) so bandwidth is not an issue for me.

Sorry, DUuDE.

Having the same freezing issue with my WD Live hub and netflix.  Any one got suggestion for a fix, or WD needs to send out a new firmware update?

Thanks

I also have the same issue. Now my WD Live will not even connect to Netflix. It goes to black and after 20 min or more it goes to screen that it cannot connect to netflix. Do you want to exit.

This is odd as the system did work on the new update for a time before this occured. Other services like Pandora, Youtueb, and the weather work fine.

:frowning:

Can anyone from WD comment, please?

I had several problems connecting to Netflix a few weeks ago, you may want to check this thread regarding my issues and see if they may apply to you…

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/Netflix-quot-Unable-to-connect-quot-with-errors-100-102-What-s/td-p/211148

I am also having the same issue with my WD TV Live Hub.  Ever since I updated the last firmware, My Netflix doesn’t work.  Sometimes I am able to load a movie, but then once I exit the movie, the WD TV Live Hub locks up and the only thing I can do is unplug the power and plug it back in.  Sometimes I can’t even load a movie.  I have 5-6 Mbps transfer rates and my laptop and wii both stream Netflix with no problems and they are much further away from my router.

Now I notice my Live Hub locking up randomly when playing media files too.  Another problem that has started since the update, my internet connection is dropped!  My WD TV Live Hub disapears from my network.  I then have to go into settings and reconnect.  What a PITA. 

Western Digital  - What can I do to get my WD TV Live Hub working properly again? I love the product, but this last update has pretty much rendered my Hub USELESS.

Same here. Brand new WDTV Live Hub, new firmware, plenty of band (FIOS 25/20), I can see my Netflix queue/preferences but when I try to play any movies, it freezes with unplugging being the only option.

BTW, my AppleTV2 is streaming Netflix movies just fine.

I called the Customer Care and they told me to return the unit. Reading the messages on this board, I’m not sure this will solve my problem.

Not to give WD a good reason to blame someone else, but I’m using a WiFi dongle to access my LAN: can this be the reason? The dongle is in the WD OK list, but maybe for video streaming it’s still not good enough.

WD: any comment on this WiFi dongle possibility? Is there any dongle you fully certify to access the net via WiFi for video streaming?

Cheers

Dare I bother (??) mentioning my brand new WDLiveHub is doing the same freezing ~ actually it plays the Netflix media fine, but when I press stop in the middle of a show it freezes on a black screen; leaving unplugging being the only option.  

Also, I have the latest firmware, 2.07.17 ~ and yet upon booting up the WDLiveHub it says it’s installing the firmware and then invariably fails that process.

This was one of the more expensive media players I chose from, and I payed the extra bucks to get QUALITY.  Shall I return the unit and never buy or recommend WD again?

If it’s telling you it’s installing firmware then you did NOT successfully update it.

You need to Roll Back to the previous version and try again.

As to NetFlix going black when you press STOP, try this:

Even though your picture is black, hit the blue HOME button, then count three seconds, then press OK.    See if your picture returns.