Firmware Problem

I just realized that a new firmware is in the web. but i just tried to upgrade my system but i couldnt

my model is

S/N

Firmware: 1.01.10

i download both version PAL and NTSC in my pendrive… without folders or anything… but my WD didnt recognize the upgrade i didi it before with the Cabin.img but now i can not

Whats the problem?

Serial number is meaningless. In fact you should remove it… What MODEL number is it?

Model: WDBACC0020HBK-00

What FW version is currently on your EP?

man i wrote it

my  Firmware: 1.01.10…

i remember was the cabin.img

LEANDROURU wrote:

man i wrote it

my  Firmware: 1.01.10…

i remember was the cabin.img

I thought that’s what you were trying to install!   If you’re already using 1.01.10, then why are you trying to upgrade??

1.01.10 is the LATEST.

so we can’t install the firmware 1.0.12 (ep2 firmware)  on our EP1?

Of course not.

And, there is no download of 1.0.12 FW for the EP2.

And if you pay attention, you’ll see that the EP1 firmware is actually a LOWER VERSION.

Latest FIrmwares:

EP1 →  1.01.10 (released 10/2010)

EP2 →  1.00.10 (released   1/2012)

Where are you seeing a download for 1.0.12?

Download for new firmware is available here =>  http://community.wdc.com/t5/News-Announcements/New-Release-Firmware-Version-1-00-10-for-the-WD-Elements-Play-1/m-p/335277#M233

Don’t you think a FW made available in Jan 2012 should be better that a FW released 1 year ago, and even if the version number seems to be lower ?

Question is now : can we install this last released FW on our EP1?

Doudy wrote:

Download for new firmware is available here =>  http://community.wdc.com/t5/News-Announcements/New-Release-Firmware-Version-1-00-10-for-the-WD-Elements-Play-1/m-p/335277#M233

That is the version 1.00.10 that I referred to, which is ONLY for the EP2.

The OP said something about 1.00.12 being available.

Question is now : can we install this last released FW on our EP1? 

The answer, AGAIN,  is *NO!*

The EP1 and EP2 are different hardware.  You cannot mix and match firmware.

Snif, snif… :cry:

Do you think we can expect a new release for EP1? 

I think I may have found what my problem is, I have an apple imac the firmware is written for windows, does anyone have an answer to this dilemna.
Thanks in advance.

That is not your problem. The EP (Gen 1) works perfectly well with a Mac and Mac file formats (without journaling, I think).

When the last (sic) firmware upgrade came out I used a Mac to upgrade mine.

“the last (sic) firmware upgrade came out” : did this FW you’re talking about come out recently?

I don’t get what you are saying there Johnaduk, the imac cannot decipher the “cabin.img” file have plced it in to a clean thumbdrive and nothing happens at all.
The imac model is:  iMac11,2.

hopefully you can turn the lights on for me as I have tried everything.

Sorry if I’m misunderstanding you, but the Mac doesn’t need to “decipher” it.  You don’t need to put the usb pendrive with cabin.img into the Mac.  You put it into the WD EP box:

(From the manual)

1. Connect the USB drive to the EP’s USB port. Upon detecting a

firmware update, the EP automatically opens a screen asking you if

you want to apply the firmware update.

1. Select the check icon, then press ENTER.

2. Select on the firmware update prompt, and then press ENTER.

This will update the firmware, then automatically restart.

Once the multimedia drive restarts, the new firmware is automatically loaded.

When this update first came out - over a year ago - some people were having problems with their EP recognizing the update. If you try with a variety of “clean” drives, it should eventually recognise it and go into the update process.

bazzah wrote:

I think I may have found what my problem is, I have an apple imac the firmware is written for windows, does anyone have an answer to this dilemna.
Thanks in advance.

The firmware is NOT written for Mac or Windows.   It’s written for the internal Linux OS of the EP.     It doesn’t matter what OS your PC is.

If you don’t have a properly formatted USB disk, all you have to do is connect the EP to your Computer via USB and put the IMG file on the internal harddrive (in the root folder) and reboot the box.

Doudy:

The last firmware wersion 1.01.10 came out in October 2010.  I said the last (sic) because it is the latest and also probably the last, ever.

Thank You

Johnaduk I will try that now, disappointing WD doesn’t explain too well how you go about using the update.

WEll Johnaduk took your advice put the cabin.img into the roof directory of the hard drive and nothing has happened, have ejected and plugged abck in again still nothing.
Guess I am back to where I started “the drawing board”.

Thank you for your help and is there something else I should do?