Firmware 1.02.42 vs 1.03.41 ( latest today)

i got a new NAS ex4 with firmware 1.02.42  i was getting great performance close to the 80MB/s tranfster writing to NAS

after that i have upgraded with the latest firmware … and it cant get past 60 MB/s

normaly its on the usb 2.0 speeds  33 MB/s

i already had another EX4 nas to test and behaves the same thing with the latest firmware

could you please see what whappened wd team or can i get aces to the older firmware?

Have you checked if you have any running processes that might be slowing down the performance? 

http://i59.tinypic.com/330en43.png

http://i59.tinypic.com/2dweqnd.png

see for yourself :confused:

the other firmwarewas working great… this firmware just barely does it

hope that WD can do better than this on the next firmware :stuck_out_tongue:

its usb 2.0 speeds for good sake… :confused:

18,5MB/s transfer   sometimes 20MB/s

still have to wait so many hours to get things done

DavidSucesso wrote:

i got a new NAS ex4 with firmware 1.02.42  i was getting great performance close to the 80MB/s tranfster writing to NAS

after that i have upgraded with the latest firmware … and it cant get past 60 MB/s

i already had another EX4 nas to test and behaves the same thing with the latest firmware

could you please see what whappened wd team or can i get aces to the older firmware?

This issue is currently under investigation. 

Yeah my server has dropped in performance ALOT. Took 12 minutes to move 17.2mbs work of music. It also would freeze along the way and I would have to restart the process over 

thank you for all your input

Could you please provide the old firmware to re test and see if its realy better for now Staff ?

drives in raid 0 and completely clean ( this is the first file…  what a waste of power :stuck_out_tongue:  30MB/s

DavidSucesso wrote:

I have never seen that good of a transfer rate on this box!  (there are a few threads on it, just search on performance)  The EX4 has always maxed around 40 depending on the best source.  (What drives are you running?)

If you are saying you get 60MBs, that even better than I have ever seen!  By your later screen shots looks like you are hitting the average sub 40MBs that I think everyone sees.

Has WD contacted you back to revert to 2.42 and confirm?

yes 

they can send me the build 1.02.36 or 1.02.25. Let see of soe of this does the trick until we get new firmware

i was using 4x2tb red nas drives 

i shoudlnt have dont the update but the revision was huge…

Please keep us posted.  I would happily revert for those kind of performance gains.

Curious though as I recall one of those being an interem fix for the LCD patch and if that causes you further problems reverting back?

Didnt know that… sorry im on vacations now
i dont have ex4 unit with me…

This monday  just received this ex4 with FW ver 1.03.41  (12TB , 3TBx4 ), have been try using direct connect to my PC (Gigabit Lan) ,with Raid 5 , found the write speed really very slow ,during started copy the speed about 25MB/s (299GB jpeg, raw files) , later will drop to 16.8mb/s , the temperature showing 65C.

Yesternight , i have changed to Raid 10 , and copy the same files (299GB jpeg, raw files). The started speed  show 37mb/s , but a while also drop to 18.7mb/s. Look like this ex4 is really slow slow slow !!!

yongyong wrote:

This monday  just received this ex4 with FW ver 1.03.41  (12TB , 3TBx4 ), have been try using direct connect to my PC (Gigabit Lan) ,with Raid 5 , found the write speed really very slow ,during started copy the speed about 25MB/s (299GB jpeg, raw files) , later will drop to 16.8mb/s , the temperature showing 65C.

Yesternight , i have changed to Raid 10 , and copy the same files (299GB jpeg, raw files). The started speed  show 37mb/s , but a while also drop to 18.7mb/s. Look like this ex4 is really slow slow slow !!!

You used the phrase “direct connect to my PC” and then used the phrase Gigabit LAN. They are a bit contradictory. Direct connect implies connected directly to the PC via an ethernet cable - while your latter phrase implies the EX4 is actually connected to the LAN, via a router.

Anyway, I don’t have RAID nor do I have the EX4, I have the EX2 with just one drive running in JBOD connected via Gigabit LAN, but I get much higher sustained speeds between 48-60 MBps usually. But just now I started copying 120 gigs of data and am averaging about 34 MBps…which was much slower than usual…but then I realized a friend of mine is uploading 3 large files remotely (over the Internet) to my EX2 of data about 80 gigs worth. I wonder if your EX4 is being accessed by another person in your household or perhaps from outside. May not be - but just one of many possible reasons why copy speeds could be slow (not saying that the system couldn’t be at fault - it could - but sometimes there might be extraneous factors involved).

My Ex4 connected directly to the PC via an ethernet cable (without router). Ex4 is not connected to internet.

During copy these  files (299GB is jpeg& photo raw files). my writing to Ex4 is getting poor speed 15mb/ (raid10).

Have another same setting above, copy 970GB from HDD to Ex4 (raid 10) , it took about 18hours to completed.Write speed is about 15MB/s…This really slow ??? New FW getting more slower write speed ???

DavidSucesso test with firmware 1.02.42 ,  getting great performance close to the 80MB/s tranfster writing to NAS

Below the EX4 Vs Ex2 Cpu comparision.

EX 4 is using  Marvell ARMADA 300 (88F6282) 2Ghz CPU.

The SoCs integrates:
• High-performance single-issue CPU operating at 1.6 GHZ, 1.8 GHz, and 2.0 GHz (88F6282)
• Low-power single-issue CPU operating at 800 MHZ, and 1 GHz (88F6283)
• 16KB-Instruction and 16KB-Data 4-way, set-associative L1 cache
• 256KB unified 4-way, set-associative L2 cache
• 16-bit DDR2/3 memory interface (up to 1066 MHz data rate)
• Two Gigabit Ethernet MACs with interface options
• Audio Video Bridging
• Two PCI-Express ports
• Single USB 2.0 port with integrated PHY
• Two SATA 2.0 ports with integrated PHYs
• LCD controller supporting up to 1080p and UXGA resolutions
• Network security engine with various encryption algorithm support
• Audio and MPEG Transport Stream Interface
• Two TDM Channels, SDIO/MMC, NAND flash, SPI, two TWSI, and two UART interfaces
• DMA/XOR engine with four channels
• RTC and Thermal sensor
• Compact Package (15 x 15mm FCBGA)

EX2 is using  Marvell ARMADA 370 / MV6710 SoC
(ARM V7 cpu with FPU )

The SoCs integrate:

• High-performance, dual-issue, and out-of-order ARMv7 CPU with Floating Point Unit (FPU) operating up

to 1.2 GHz (3000 DMIPS)

• Single/double precision FPU (VFP3-16) IEEE 754 compliant

• 32KB-instruction 4-way and 32KB-data 8-way, set-associative L1 cache

• 256KB unified 4-way, set-associative L2 cache/SRAM

• 16-bit DDR3/L-1333 memory interface

• Two Ethernet networking MACs controllers

• Four SERDES lanes with versatile muxing options for SGMII, PCIe2.0, and SATA2.0

• Two x1 PCI Express 2.0 interfaces

• Two SATA Gen2.0 ports

• Two USB 2.0 host/device ports with integrated PHY

• Network security engine with various encryption algorithm support

• Two TDM channels

• SDIO/MMC, NAND flash, two SPI, two TWSI, Device Bus, I2S/SPDIF and two UART interfaces

• Two DMA/XOR engines with two independent channels per each engine

• RTC and thermal sensor

• 286-pin HSBGA 19 x 19 mm, 1 mm ball pitch, green-compliant package

In my efforts to help someone else with the EX2 he actually found the source of his problem on his own.  He had neglected to mention that he had configured the device to use encryption.  As soon as he reconfigured the raid array to NOT USE encryption the transfer rates went up to a normal value.

Are you using encryption?  If so, turn it off.

Here is the link to the string I am referencing;

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud-EX2/MyCloud-EX2-extreme-low-file-transfer-rates-on-Gigabit-Router/td-p/783447

ver used encryption and glad that was the case… if something goes wrong will be a major pita :confused:

and like you say the device has some issues for now