Firmware 01.06.34 Removed from update page

Hello,

The 01.06.34 firmware releases for WD TV Live and WD TV Live Plus have been removed.    We are currently investigating reports of problems and their associated resolutions with this firmware. 

If you have updated to this firmware, you can roll-back by following the instruction here:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800/

Some users did report a problem where the device was unable to boot after the update.  We have confirmed that using the reset button on the device will allow you to recover your device.  Instructions on how to reset your device can be found at the following link:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3646

If you need any further assistance, please contact WD Technical Support:

http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?wdc_lang=en

We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

2 Likes

Hi, I messaged you guys yesterday that upon trying reset,  I now get a very gray, fuzzy picture with horizontal and diagonal lines.  So my unit is now unusable.   Is there any fix for this problem?

Thanks

mjchet wrote:

Hi, I messaged you guys yesterday that upon trying reset,  I now get a very gray, fuzzy picture with horizontal and diagonal lines.  So my unit is now unusable.   Is there any fix for this problem?

Thanks

Sounds like PAL/NTSC mismatch.

If you’re using component or composite hookup, you need to hold the reset button down for 10 seconds (while the unit is ON and booted up) to change modes.

If you’re using HDMI, then I’m not sure what that’d be.

There were some reports that the firmware was in fact left up.  There was an issue with the website.  This is being corrected and this version will be removed.

How about removing the BBC iview that doesn’t work in Australia, and adding Australian ABC iView so we can watch it here?

p.s. Firmware worked fine on my Gen2 device.

by the way, the firmware is still on the website.

I successfully installed the new firmware two days ago and operated without problems until this morning. My WDTVLive locked into the "loop of death"and it’s only response to power cycling was to eventually flash the menu screen for a fraction of a second.

Having not seen the recall notice on the new firmware, I downloaded the recalled firmware onto a USB flash drive. By chance, this flash drive also had a PowerPoint AutoRun file in the root (.PPS X). When I install the flash drive into the WDTVLive, the PowerPoint show started before the upgrade could take effect. When I pressed stop to kill the PowerPoint, the WDTVLive exited to the menu without any problems.

I’m not sure of the repeatability of this “fix”, but it may be worth looking into.

why not actually fix stuff before releasing such [Deleted] software?

there are lots of good developers out there, to bad you folks wont hire any of them…

what is quality control to WD?? is there any testing of this stuff?

looks like your media player segment will be flushed away if this is how customers are treated, waiting over a year for fixes, only to have more [Deleted] instead, way to go…

I have trouble believing this is the best you can do, yet you folks never cease to underwhelm the masses.

I managed to install without any problem and initially it looked like there were some improvements with the menus loading up faster and directories refreshing faster however when I tried to play a file *.mkv it takes about 20secs to actually start (used to be instant) and any attempt at fast forwarding causes the video to lock up after a couple of seconds or just run like [Deleted]… so rolling back to the previous release for sure! 

Hello,

I tried to rollback to previous version (1.06.15) but without succeeding: it does not appear the “New Firmware Found” voice under Settings menu.

Tried even to reset to default factory settings too but nothing changes.

BTW i cannot reset my WD TV Live with the reset button (nothing happens by pressing it within any timing)

Thanks in advance for support

Jon74 wrote:

Hello,

I tried to rollback to previous version (1.06.15) but without succeeding: it does not appear the “New Firmware Found” voice under Settings menu.

Tried even to reset to default factory settings too but nothing changes.

BTW i cannot reset my WD TV Live with the reset button (nothing happens by pressing it within any timing)

Thanks in advance for support

Have you dowloaded the special rollback firmware from the page below and followed all the instructions.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800/

Just a note to advising you about problems I’m having operating with the new solfware update.

I can no longer access my computer from the player (although I can still access the player from my computer)

Also I’m having problems with the server function accessing  files on my computer.

I’m finding significant lag in loading files as well as streaming.

Thank You

You guys **bleep**… I try this firmware and the only thing that change was the Youtube aplication, but know you just say: “Hey, we’re sorry but we committed a huge mistake… Thank’s”.

What’s wrong with you? I buy this thing 'cuse was pretty impressive and them you start to make firmware updates that suppose to “improve”, but guest what, the only thing you get glitched and all king of stupid things from your firmware, and you just say: “Ups… Sorry guys”.

What kind of company you are?

1 Like

Hilarity ensues.

I did the update to 1.06.34 on WDAAN0000NBK.

First I had problems when going to youtube. The unit would reset. This happened from the start with the new firmware.

Today I decided to do a roll-back to previous version of the firmware. I downloaded version 1.06.15 from: http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800/session. I copied the firmware files to the root (top level) of a portable USB drive. From the menu, selected to upgrade (downgrade) to the firmware version 1.06.15.

The unit reset and then a screen indicating that the firmware was being updated appeard. With the progress bar in 0% the unit reset again. And again, and again… (is this the loop of death?).

I tried pressing the reset button, but nothing happend.

What can I try? How can this mess be fixed? Did I do wrong in upgrading to the new firmware?

Thanks!

Followed the instructions and downloaded the special rollback file… nothing shows up on the Settings menu after trying with multiple different USB drives.  Verified that the .ver file lists the following:
VERSION=‘2.06.16_B’
LOCATION=‘wdtvlive2.bin’
PKG_LOCATION=‘wdtvlive2.pkg’
ROOTFS2=‘’

Even placed it on a WD Elements drive and still nothing comes up under Settings.  Tried just adding it to a drive that already had media on it as well as formatting one of those drives and placing JUST the firmware on the drive.  No luck.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated since my device currently won’t play anything without locking up.

System Info:

FW Version: 1.06.34_V

Part Number: WDAAN0000NBK

Trying to roll back to 1.06.16_B.

Your trying to install the wrong firmware. You need 1.06.15_V to roll back, the V is for the Live and the B version is for the Live Plus.

Frak I’m stupid.  Thanks markinuk.  Let’s try this again…

Everything was running fine until I updated the firmware as prompted last week. Post updated, the player booted and image was fine but was slow to commence playing from my wifi network drives and now my Asus N-13 Wireless adapter doesn’t work at all, in any device. Seems the update blew the adapter.

Adam72perth wrote:

Seems the update blew the adapter.

Impossible.

I was trying to downgrade from the portable disc drive and couldnt, I tried from a pen-drive (usb stick) and could.

I’m using version 1.06.15, but I am still having problems connecting to the Wi-Fi network. A previous post suggested that the Wi-Fi usb could have been broken with the latest firmware. Is this at all possible?