Firmware 01.06.34 Removed from update page

So WD, it’s been a week since you finally took notice and pulled this absolute disgrace of a firmware. Where is our update on progress and timing of resolution? And don’t even dare pull that NDA nonsense that Bill humiliated WD with before launch of the last mess.

Where is the guy who claims to have some super top secret contact at WD? Why aren’t you emailing your deep throat source for an update?

Yeah, I have a WDTV Live Plus. I updated to 1.06.34_B. I’m having issues with network sharing that are new with this firmware. I navigate to video/network shares and try to select network shares, but I can’t. It’s like my remote has gone dead. My network is configured properly, if it weren’t I’d be able to select network shares and it would say something along the lines of “could not access network shares”. The problem is the WDTV won’t let me select network shares. I hit the enter button a thousand times and it doesn’t help. The issue goes away after I reboot the WDTV 2-5 times.

I’m going to roll back to 1.06.16_B to see if this fixes the issue.

iotheguy wrote:

I was trying to downgrade from the portable disc drive and couldnt, I tried from a pen-drive (usb stick) and could.

I’m using version 1.06.15, but I am still having problems connecting to the Wi-Fi network. A previous post suggested that the Wi-Fi usb could have been broken with the latest firmware. Is this at all possible?

Mine works, but the WIFI adaptor LED doesn’t come on anymore. WEIRD.

I finally got Wi-Fi running again. It was a problem from my side. The USB light works fine for me.

It is a pity that every time that there is an upgrade something does not work well.

this time it seems… that nothing worked well.

I’ve learned…

everytime that I get an upgrade notification, I DON"T download it… I wait a couple of days

Then I come here to see all the mess around it.

Then I analyze the pros and cons…

Then I decide if upgrading or not.

One question… the people doing the upgrades, are they volunteers?
Because I don’t understand why WD is throwing an upgrade with flaws with some kind of files that worked ok before the upgrade (as some people mentioned), and now the don’t work well

2 Likes

Is there any update on when this is going to be re-released?

It will be re-released when it is fixed!  Beleive me Pal, this disaster got WD’s attention and you can be sure they will release it when they are SURE it is fixed.  Meanwhile, be patient.

Well, it took a full year for the disaster to be released… At least a ton of people got invites for beta testing this time around, so who knows, it might just be possible that nothing NEW will be broken on the next release.

Hi, I just did the rollback, i shouted YAY!! when it came back on. The comments i have are as follows:

The you tube on the new update is absolutley diabolical, as is the one on my newer wdtv live model, i have both. I still have to periodically reset the older live version, WDBAAx0000NBK,_ As it slows down and locks up from time to time. I prefer the old one to the new one, one reason is that the youtube version is not as good as the old version, and is no fun at all to navigate, there are also no history lists to save time. The newer live version has the updated handset which has the round back to it, which tries to spin in the hand as the buttons are depressed, this is not good, neither is the size, it, can’t be operated with just one hand, it needs one hand to hold it still, and another to find the right button and press it. The new live version keeps ejecting the USB drives, i’m always getting the dont remove usb warning screen when i leave the wdtv for any length of time. (I use wd drives and one external seagate, all of which do not produce this effect when used with the old wdtv live). Hard to understand why the old is preferable to the new when all the lessons learned with the old seem to have been consigned to the B FILE for the new version. I like the gigabit connection, i do not like the position of the front facing usb socket when we all want two more round the back, we don’t like wires looping from this socket when we connect anything at all, we expect full compliance with usb 3.0, inc  hub support which all models are lacking so far, because this is the way the world is going and we expect to keep this product for a long long time. The sales potential for these players is nowhere near what it should be, this is due to the fact that they work best with massive network NAS systems, which not many people understand, they work best when supplied with top grade media which to the average joe means blu ray player and discs, which the industry has shoved down their throats, and your retailers don’t push these wdtv players because that means explaining how phenomenal their potential is for the reasons i’ve stated and the fact that they wouldn’t sell another blu ray player or blu ray disc again. Thanks for the rewind, and please include usb 3.0 and hub support in your next version.__
_

@ eddy2010

I own a WD Live and upon every firmware update I eagerly seek for comments on this forum and the internet… Don’t want to brick my device, as it’s working great now. Using the last compatible WiFi-USB dongle I could find (there are no many updated models available). 

About the BBC iPlayer feature, for those of us who don’t live in the UK, you could provide tools such as “Add a VPN service” so we can get a workaround and actually use it.

By the way, it would be nice to add Youtube HD playback. I don’t seem to find any option to select the actual resolution… ?

Cheers,

I strongly doubt you’ll see any new features added in this “last” firmware…you’ll be lucky if it fixes most of the bugs it introduced.

we are not happy at all about the download and bought a new player out of desperation. Why on earth do you release a software that doesn’t work at all?

How do I stop my new player switching to the upload page every time we switch it on? I DON"T WANT TO DOWNLOAD ANY NEW FIRMWARE!!!

very disappointed.

hi wd;

ı would like say about new frimware. wd should be interesting “ASPECT RATİO” OPTİONS. because when time we would like watch bluray movies than we have big problem at “ASPECT RATİO” . not enough chosing for us . you are giving to us only wide screen or normaly screen chosing. why you arent upgrade “ASPECT RATİO” options, Why not put a rich menu for users. please wd engineering we are waiting from your site rich menü options at this frimware for  “ASPECT RATİO” . some tv not support diferent kind of chosing same like 16:9 4:3 subtitle panoroma bla bla… you can help us wd …please to integrate more options this frimware

also we are waiting delay sound frame rate changing options…

already thanks for your help end devoloper

Got the same problem as Jon74. I try to downgrade to 01.06.15, the menu “New firmware found” does not appear under “Settings”. I tried to copy the firmware on 3 different USB flash disks and also tried both FAT32 and NTFS and still the firmware is not detected by my WD. Any idea?

Make sure you are using the rollback firmware. See post 1 of this thread.

MKV files slow to start with last update and now just noticed Deezer is not working.

Don’t know whether to risk downgrading or put up with these problems until WD hopefully fixes them in next update - if the next one actually works.

Any recommendations what to buy if I ditch this little box of horrors which to be honest has worked pretty well over the years? Are the new ones better or should I look for a different manufacturer?

If it has worked over the last few years just roll back and enjoy it again.

Bill et al., any updates on progress with the beta testing? Would appreciate knowing what the status is, the new firmware is ‘ok’, but autores is still broken.

Also, an odd bug that I only noticed this week. Previously FLAC files played just fine. Now, they play but double the length of the track, with the extra time all being silence. A 3 minute song plays for 6 minutes, but the final 3 minutes are completely silent. Very irritating when listening to an album I’ve ripped into FLAC.

One last point: I got a sony google TV free with a credit card. It’s awful, I’ve been an outspoken critic of the flaws in WDTV products, but by comparison to the sony google TV, the WDTV is good. It does have a really neat remote control, but the UI and file support are truly dreadful.

We have released a new beta firmware to test fixes we have so far.