FIRE ! WD RED WD20EFRX 2TB NAS catches fire when installed!

Last night I had the unfortunate experience to have a WD20EFRX 2TB NAS drive burn and actually catch fire in my system. Now, I’ve been building systems since I was a teenager, and this is something that I have “NEVER” seen in my life. Cabling setup was correct, I’m positive of that. Drive was brand new, received earlier in the day.

I had hooked it up into my home server machine, which currently houses 4 x 3TB Red, which have worked perfect over the last year. Yet after installing this drive, I heard a distinct hissing sound and then smoke appeared on the underside of it (near the circuit board) and then actual little flames appeared. I was shocked and terrified upon seeing this, not so much that my house would burn down as I would have controlled the fire, yet more concerned that it would have destroyed my main server.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I’ve done some research last night and this typically doesn’t happen, yet I still need to install the replacement that WD is going to send me through RMA.

I’ll list my components to see if that helps. Thanks so much !

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H

Main HD: Crucial M4 Solid State Drive 256 GB

CPU: G2130, 3.2 Ghz 3MB Cache LGA1155, 55W

Ram: 8gb Corsair XMS3 Ram

Power Supply: Corsair AX860i

Storage Drives: 4 x 3TB RED WD30EFRX

Operating Sys: WHS2011

That is truly wild! I don’t think I’ve ever heard the like.

I would guess it was a seriously defective (shorted traces) circuit board at the power connector. I would not expect the power supply to be at fault since nothing else has smoked, unless, just maybe, this happened on a power cable that nothing else has ever used before.

I hope your server and the PSU are still OK.

See http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/HDD/TVS_diode_FAQ.html