WD RED NAS Drives Reliability : near 0%

I am the owner of a Synology DS416 Play server with 4 x HDD WD40EFRX of 4 TB each mounted in SHR.
I use my NAS as a multimedia server, drive and storage. It is secured by an APC Back-UPS and therefore has not suffered any electrical or electromagnetic problems.

Although all the drives have SMART tests at first, soon the first failed (less than 3000 hours of power-up), then the second (the 2 changed under warranty by WD) then, unfortunately, the 2 last, at the same time: 2 drivess that break down, it’s very rare, but it happened to me… I’m not drawing you a picture, I lost all my data.

Scalded by this experience, I still put my NAS back into service a few weeks ago, therefore equipped with 4 new drives counting just a few hundred hours on the clock and all tested in depth before mounting via DLGDIAG.

Everything was going pretty well, except that this week : a NEW WD RED disc of 4TB (less than 3000 hours), coming directly from WD, well packaged and protected, tested before assembly goes back to failure after an extended SMART test while all the intermediate rapid SMART tests indicated that the disk was in good health with 0 bad sectors… and another drive don’t pass the SMART test neither !!!

Following my recurring failures on my WD hard drives, I try to use the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics utility in order to at least diagnose the problems: it turns out that the utility “hangs” at 0.05% of the scan and continues to “spin” endless without the “current sector” evolving, same for the second drive.
Now 2 of the 4 brand new drives don’t pass the extended WD scan, 6 drives failures in ONE YEAR ONLY : WTF ???

I did not invest all this money in a NAS server with special hard drives to be constantly down and lose my data , that does not make any sense…
How it it possible to see a such poor reliability with WD products ?
Any advice ?

Just a thought and it’s a vanishingly rare possibility but it may be worth considering:

Is it possible that some kind of vibration is being coupled through the building into whetever shelf the box is sitting on? (like a slamming door jarring the system, etc)

Hello !

This possibility was raised in another forum.
My NAS is inside the lower compartment of the main cabinet in the control room of my recording studio …
There is not really any reason for the appearance of this kind of trouble : there are lots of other computer equipment, including HDDs which have been running for 10 years without problems, in the same area …

Very strange.
I bet on problems during the shipping of the drives, which makes them vulnerable afterwards, but I have no definite explanation.