PR4100 New Config - WD Red and B2 Qs

New to NAS / WD PR4100 and nervous about going all in on the new device, meaning pushing files off my desktop to the NAS and deleting them from desktop.

I purchased WD Red drives, 4 TB x 4. Then I started reading about them failing due to some manuf issue. This does not feel reliable. Has anyone had first-hand experience? What is considered the most reliable drive? Do the Red Pro drives have the same issue or is it just the basic model?

Does anybody back up to Backblaze/B2? I saw a syncing app but couldn’t find specs about what services it syncs to.

Does anyone have a list of must-have apps for the PR4100?

Thus far I have only formatted my RAID 10, not moved any data on yet. Thinking of scrapping the Red drives before I start if there truly is a reliability issue with them.

Thanks for any input.

I have the exact same setup you have. About a year ago, I could not access the PR4100. The blue power light continues to flash blue and the screen says: Welcome to WD My Cloud PR4100.

I have power cycled it probably 100 times and the last time I power cycled it, I left it unplugged for a couple months and it still is doing the same thing. I can’t remember if I setup a Raid or not. I have done the 4 second and the 40 second hold the reset button in and that doesn’t fix it. It’s basically a paper weight. I called WD and they told me it’s out of warranty. I think I paid $1300 for it new about 3-4 years ago. I have a lot of data on it. I’ve looked on the forums and there is very little info on them. I’ve done everything they’ve suggested to do, to no avail. I would not recommend this device to anyone unless you don’t care about losing your data. I’m going to call WD one more time and see if they can help me. I’ll let you know what they said. I hope this helps you!

Thanks,

Kurt Dean