Final EX2 firmware

OK, so I just updated my firmware to the latest, greatest(?) and final firmware update for this device. It was supposed to block out internet access but when I look at Settings>Network it says Status: “Internet Access” and there’s no way to turn it off (the setting is gone from the Dashboard)!

At best (assuming it’s just plain wrong), this is really sloppy. At worst, its another botched, incompetent demonstration of why people are ditching Western Digital in droves!

@sktn77a Internet Access is not blocked by the My Cloud firmware.
You can still configure port forwarding on your router manually, if you wish to do so, and access your My Cloud remotely using SSH or FTP Server.

Thanks. No, I don’t particularly want to implement any remote capability, just block it from the EX2. Earlier on, WD stated that they would disable all remote access but this does not appear to have been done.

By stopping “remote access”; WD has shutdown WD OS/3 Servers.
These servers enabled communication between your NAS and WD operated websites and apps for PC’s and mobile devices. Hence. . .the “WD cloud” is gone.

Also; WD has stopped support, such that there will not be any security updates for the devices running OS/3. There will be no security updates for OS/3 devices - - > unless you upgrade firmware to OS/5. Think of it as a PC running Windows XP. Fine in it’s day. . but not this day. There are both known and unknown security vulnerabilities in the OS/3 software.

No one has ever said anything about installing a software firewall within OS/3.

Fundamentally, these devices are old linux PC’s attached to your network. Without support, any security vulnerabilities that were in the code for the last year. . . will stay in the code. There will be no security updates for OS/3 devices - - > unless you upgrade firmware to OS/5.

If the device is hooked to a network with internet access. . .it is hooked to the internet. Just like your PC. Just like your phone.

If you want to truly block the device internet access, this MUST be done from the Router.

Routers by nature will provide some level of software firewall. Note that most routers also get firmware updates to maintain security.

Me? I am paranoid. I have multiple OS/3 devices - - -attached to a dedicated router that has no internet connection. To access the devices, I literally turnoff my Wifi connection, and plug in an ethernet cable from that dedicated router.