What happened to the final OS3 update?

I am still getting those irritating messages from WD telling me to update to OS5 or shell out for a new NAS. I haven’t unsubscribed from them because, previously, they had said a final firmware update would be made available to secure the device from any remote access. But now they merely say "immediately back up your device, disable remote access, disconnect it from the internet, and then protect it with a strong, unique password."

So does anybody know about this mysterious “final” firmware update for non-compatible devices?

Apparently all WD has officially stated is:

Devices that have auto-update enabled will receive a final firmware update to disable remote access and outbound traffic to cloud services.

One can assume that WD will be pushing out that “final firmware update” sometime in the coming days seeing as they state support ends on April 15th (8 days from now). But based on past history, anything is possible with WD. They could end up not release the final firmware at all, or even release it after April 15th.

In the mean time people really should, if they can, block broadband/internet access to their unsupported OS5 My Cloud models at their router/network firewall. One should do that in addition to disabling remote access/cloud access in the My Cloud Dashboard or in addition to what ever the “final firmware” actually ends up being pushed out.

Edit to add: Oh and it’s laugh out loud funny they tell people to “disconnect it from the internet”. Doing so means the auto firmware update won’t work since its not connected to the internet, which means they won’t get the “final firmware update”. (Face Palm)

@sktn77a
What version of Firmware do you have? Below image shows mine and my device no longer has internet access.

Remote access (once I enable broadband access to the My Cloud in my router) working for me on 04.05.00-353. Just checked it a few moments ago both through the Android My Cloud OS3 mobile and the MyCloud.com web portal.

firmware_remoteaccess

The 04.05.00-353 (11/17/2021) firmware release notes only indicates they added a popup notification. No mention of blocking or shutting off remote access. My assumption has been WD would be issuing that final firmware right before, or on, April 15, 2022.

https://support.wdc.com/download/notes/WD_My_Cloud_Firmware_Release_Notes_04.05.00-353.pdf#page=3

Firmware Version 04.05.00-353 (11/17/2021)

• Added the following pop-up notification message to inform users about end of support for prior generations of My Cloud OS. Here is the entire message:

On April 15, 2022, support for prior generations of My Cloud OS, including My Cloud OS 3, will end. Your device isn’t compatible with critical security updates that are only available for My Cloud OS 5-compatible devices. As a result, you’ll only be able to access it locally. After April 15, 2022, your device will no longer receive remote access, security updates, or technical support. To help protect your content, we recommend that you back up your device, disconnect it from the internet, and protect it with a strong, unique password. Check out our recent My Cloud updates to learn more.

The only OS3 device I have left is a MyCloud EX2, so the firmware is different, but it’s the last update they sent out a couple of months ago.

EDIT: It’s actually 2.12.144 which is newer than the version currently on their website (2.12.127)???
Internet access is working fine (I have nothing on the drive until after April 15 when it will be used for local backup/camera footage only).

@sktn77a
You have posted in the sub-forum for the single bay WDMYCLOUD. My WD My Cloud 2nd generation has the following firmware (OS5), and it is a single bay too. I updated it from Firmware 02.xx.xx!

Try this sub-forum and see what other owners of the EX2 say.
Latest My Cloud OS 3 Network Attached Storage/My Cloud EX2 topics - WD Community

They likely aren’t going to be able to say much more than what has already been said here unless a WD employee has chimed in over in that subforum. The EX2 isn’t supported by OS5 so they are in the same boat as the single bay v4.x firmware My Cloud users are with respect to the ending of OS3 support. The following devices are not supported by OS5:

• My Cloud (P/N: WDBCTLxxxxxxx-00)
  • My Cloud Mirror
  • My Cloud EX2
  • My Cloud EX4

So it’s a waiting game on that OS3 “final firmware” WD mentioned for those who are either waiting for it or curious about it.

Yes, My EX2 is the first gen (not EX2 U;tra), so can’t be updated to OS5. The promised update from WD was for all non-updatable my cloud versions.

The Firmware Release 2.12.144 (01/04/2022) for the EX2 is available on the My Cloud support site:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/products/product-detail/p/129#WD_downloads
Firmware release notes:
https://support.wdc.com/download/notes/WD_My_Cloud_EX2_Release_Notes_FW_2.12.144.pdf
Direct download link if anyone reading needs it or wants it:
https://downloads.wdc.com/nas/My_Cloud_KC2A_2.12.144.bin

1 Like

Ah, yes, you’re right - I was getting my MyClouds sources mixed up!!!
So we still wait for the “final” updates for these gen 1 devices.

Final OS3 update appears to have been posted online by WD. Just posted a thread about it for the first gen single bay My Cloud.

Firmware Release 04.06.00-111 (4/15/2022)
https://community.wd.com/t/firmware-release-04-06-00-111-4-15-2022/277040

New OS3 firmware is also up for the EX2 (and I assume the other non OS5 supported My Cloud devices).

Firmware Release 2.13.108 (4/15/2022)
Direct Download link: https://downloads.wdc.com/nas/My_Cloud_KC2A_2.13.108.bin

Release Notes

Firmware Version 2.13.108 (04/15/2022)
As of April 15, 2022, support for prior generations of My Cloud OS has ended. We’ve made the following changes as part of this release:

• Disabled Cloud Access support
  • Disabled Notification Email support
  • Added My Cloud OS 3 End of Support message in the My Cloud dashboard

You will continue to have local access to your stored content. Remote access, security updates, and technical support will no longer be provided. Check out our recent My Cloud updates to learn more.

#WDUserRewards

1 Like