Files on mp4 can't play subtitles

Hello there

I’am having a problem that when i stream to my TV, via DLNA, if i play some movie on MP4 it won’t play the subtitles, i tried already to rebuild the DLNA base and tried several files and it won’t play. The solution i got it’s to convert to mkv and then it works…

Someone has a solution to play MP4 files with subtitles?

Btw. the FW is v04.01.04-422

Thanks

It may depend on the DLNA client playing the MP4 video. Using the Roku Media Player on my Roku I am able to play seperate SRT subtitle files in conjuction with MP4 video files. The SRT file has to have the exact same name as the movie file. I cannot however play the subtitles if they are embedded as a track in the MP4 video file.

MP4 technically ONLY supports “Timed Text” subtitles.  

Some muxers allow for inserting other formats, but no telling if Twonky supports that or not…

Bennor wrote:

It may depend on the DLNA client playing the MP4 video. Using the Roku Media Player on my Roku I am able to play seperate SRT subtitle files in conjuction with MP4 video files. The SRT file has to have the exact same name as the movie file. I cannot however play the subtitles if they are embedded as a track in the MP4 video file.

I use Twonky, the DLNA client that comes with WDMyCloud

TonyPh12345 wrote:

MP4 technically ONLY supports “Timed Text” subtitles.  

Some muxers allow for inserting other formats, but no telling if Twonky supports that or not…

If i use a time text subtitles and the file is on .srt, will it work? 

I tried other subtitles also so see if would work, but the problem still persists

tiago.woa wrote:

Twonky is the DLNA server. The DLNA client is your smart TV or other DLNA device/software/app that contacts the WD My Cloud (Twonky media server) to stream the media content.

The timed SRT file contents will have text that looks like this:

00:19:32,400 → 00:19:35,080
Sorokin wants to meet you now.

00:19:50,840 → 00:19:52,041
Ten minutes.

Occasionally the SRT files from online SRT sites are not properly formed (or created) and as such the DLNA client will not recognize and play the file alongside the MP4 (or other formatted) video file. 

Bennor wrote:

tiago.woa wrote:

Twonky is the DLNA server. The DLNA client is your smart TV or other DLNA device/software/app that contacts the WD My Cloud (Twonky media server) to stream the media content.

The timed SRT file contents will have text that looks like this:

00:19:32,400 → 00:19:35,080
Sorokin wants to meet you now.

00:19:50,840 → 00:19:52,041
Ten minutes.

Occasionally the SRT files from online SRT sites are not properly formed (or created) and as such the DLNA client will not recognize and play the file alongside the MP4 (or other formatted) video file. 

Sorry my bad. I connect it to my LG Smartv directly. I’ll check if the srt files are formed correctly, as soon as i get home.

tiago.woa wrote:

Sorry my bad. I connect it to my LG Smartv directly. I’ll check if the srt files are formed correctly, as soon as i get home.

I’m not sure I understand correctly. Are you saying you have the WD My Cloud connected directly to the LG SmartTV via an Ethernet wire? If so, you do not connect the WD My Cloud directly to the LG SmartTV. The WD My Cloud connects to your network router (or gateway), as does your LG SmartTV.

Bennor wrote:> I’m not sure I understand correctly. Are you saying you have the WD My Cloud connected directly to the LG SmartTV via an Ethernet wire? If so, you do not connect the WD My Cloud directly to the LG SmartTV. The WD My Cloud connects to your network router (or gateway), as does your LG SmartTV.

No, i have the WDMyCloud connect to the router, and then the router connects to the Smartv.