Can't play SRT subtitles associated to MKV files

I bought these drive to backup my 2 640 GB USB 2.0 HD and to be able to stream all of my MKV movies wirelessly to all of the devices at home. MKV files are already on the WD My Cloud NAS and I can access them from the TV, tablets and cell phone, each movie is in a folder with an SRT subtitle file with the same name. If I open them from the pc using VLC everything works fine, subtitles are displayed correctly and I can select the audio track in the language that I want. But if I open the movies from the LG smart TV or on my phone or my tablet (with VLC apk) the subtitles won’t display and I can not even select the audio track that I want from the MKV file

How can I make subtitles and MKV files (with different audio track) work as they work on my pc or as they work on my TV using plex server or via USB drive connected? (normally i just have to name the SRT file as the MKV file and the subtitles always work)

Thanks in advance and sorry if my english is not good.

DLNA doesn’t support SRT subs.

Thanks for your answer, I have to ask you (perhaps you know), I have been reading about some ways of hacking (modding) and changing the way your drive communicates to other devices and from what I have understood there are plenty of possibilities of changing the way the drive works (for example being able to display subtitles); most of the information is for another version of WD drive, like WD My book and other, there are many things in web pages like these http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/forum/t-710471/new-wd-mycloud

My question is: is it possible by changing and modding WD My Cloud firmware to make it capable of displaying subtitles? (I don’t care if I have to read a lot about the procedure or to learn about more expert procedures) I just want to know if it is possible and where to start searching for the information

Thanks in advance 

It’s NOT the mycloud; DLNA itself as a protocol for streaming doesn’t support SRT subs. Your only bet is to either stop using DLNA and use direct network shares if your TV allows it, or to add the SRT files into the movies as an embedded (Fused) file so they ALWAYS show. 

2 Likes

Thanks for the information, I tried adding the SRT file to the MKV files using mkvmerge GUI and they work, you can also add different languages and change them from the TV, or just turn them off. I have to do this with all the movies and it takes about 3 minutes to recompile an 8 GB MKV file but I’ve got just what I wanted. Thanks a lot. 

Firstly sorry for the poor english.

I bought last week a My Cloud.

Reading this topic I understand why my WD LIVE TV HUB can not load subtitles when I try to watch a movie that is in My Cloud.

Is it possible to connect directly to the My Cloud WD LIVE TV HUB like a simple Hard Drive? Does it solve the problem?

I was frustrated when I discovered this problem! I should have followed my instinct and have only purchased an HD larger capacity.

aldopicanco wrote:

Firstly sorry for the poor english.

I bought last week a My Cloud.

Reading this topic I understand why my WD LIVE TV HUB can not load subtitles when I try to watch a movie that is in My Cloud.

Is it possible to connect directly to the My Cloud WD LIVE TV HUB like a simple Hard Drive? Does it solve the problem?

I was frustrated when I discovered this problem! I should have followed my instinct and have only purchased an HD larger capacity.

Your post makes it look like you didn’t read this thread at all.