Files MIA for no apparent reason

I have installed on my PC the WD My Cloud program Version 1.0.7.17. My operating system is Windows 10. My Cloud Firmware version is WDMyCloud v04.04.04-101 : Core F/W. Using the WD My Cloud program, (That is installed on my PC) I would launch videos I have saved on the device. The videos would launch and run in VLC with out any issue. I have been operating like this since I purchased the drive. From time to time I see lag in the video, this is usually due to intense use of my PC and it needing rebooted. I shut down VLC and the WD My Cloud Program. I rebooted the machine. I relaunched the WD My Cloud Program and returned to where the folder of my videos were. To my shock the folder was now missing. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt I did not delete it. I verified drive using Windows Explorer, Putty SSH, WS_FTP. The folder, its subfolders and all files in that folder are no longer visible. Ran quick diagnostics, no issue. Currently running full test. I do not use the Tonky Server. I do have Media Streaming Turned on. Ran DLNA Database Rescan, still missing. Will run a complete DLNA Database Rebuild once full scan is complete. I work on computers for a living, and files just dont vanish. It act as though the system forgot the folder was even there. This was approx. 2 to 2.5 GB of data, lost. What happened and how do I fix it.

Are you accessing the My Cloud while connected to the same local network as the My Cloud? Or are you connecting to the My Cloud from a remote network?

If you are on the same local network as the My Cloud are the files/folder missing if you access their location using Windows File Explorer?

Typically one doesn’t need to use the WD My Cloud Desktop program when on the same local network as the My Cloud. One can use Windows File Explorer. It makes things easier if one “maps” the My Cloud to their local Windows PC for easier access using Windows File Explorer.

http://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=2676

Answer: The WD My Cloud is connected to my local network. My Desktop is connected to my local network. My Desktop and WD My Cloud are connected to the same switch. All 3 devices sit within 24" of each other.

Answer: As stated " I verified drive using Windows Explorer, Putty SSH, WS_FTP."

I would typically agree. But with the OS/Firmware being Debian Linux Kernel “wd-1.4-rel armv71 GNU/Linux”, I like to keep things as clean as possible. No direct read and write to the drive either from my WIndows 10 Desktop or from my Linux Laptop. I either use WD Desktop software or an FTP program. WIndows is WS_FTP and on Linux is Filezilla. This way both OS versions are using a universal protocol.

Appreciate your reply and the link, but I don’t trust Windows File System and Linux File Systems to play nice.

Until now I have not had a single issue. Sorry to anyone that reads. A little peeved at the file loss. Anyone who has had this happens would agree.

Lucky for me. I always had a for sight of data loss and have most files backed up. I can retrieve these files from my secondary laptop I keep at work. But the sudden unexplained loss of over 2GB of data in the time it took to reboot my desktop is no where near acceptable.

Well, there is an intermediary in the way whether you use File Explorer, Finder or the MyCloud app. And that intermediary is the samba file server; the MyCloud isn’t a simple HDD, it’s a networked attached store, and all accesses are performed via a file server protocol, not by direct ext4 file system accesses.

So, are you going to trust Microsoft’s long-established File Explorer, Apple’s Finder, or WD’s rather cobbled-together app?

I know which I’d trust, and it’s not the WD app…

[quote=“Jason_Nutty, post:3, topic:179882, full:true”]
I would typically agree. But with the OS/Firmware being Debian Linux Kernel “wd-1.4-rel armv71 GNU/Linux”, I like to keep things as clean as possible. No direct read and write to the drive either from my WIndows 10 Desktop or from my Linux Laptop. I either use WD Desktop software or an FTP program. WIndows is WS_FTP and on Linux is Filezilla. This way both OS versions are using a universal protocol.

Appreciate your reply and the link, but I don’t trust Windows File System and Linux File Systems to play nice.[/quote]
For local network access, by using Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder and mapping the My Cloud you are keeping things as clean as possible. The My Cloud is designed to be accessed by Windows File Explorer and Mac Finder (and other OS file managers). The My Cloud OS generally uses the Samba (SMB) protocol when communicating with Windows. Mac users can use AFP or SMB or even CIF if they desire.

The My Cloud is a network attached storage device. The WD My Cloud Desktop program, WD My Cloud mobile apps and the MyCloud.com web portal are primarily for remote access.

If the Share in which the missing files were contained was configured for Private, ensure (through the Dashboard) that at least one User is configured for full access permission. Then attempt to access that Share with Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder using that User’s name and password. Once that share is accessed verify if the missing data exists or is actually gone.

Another method to try is to access the My Cloud using SSH. This allows access to the firmware/root directory level of the My Cloud and you can search for hidden files/folders that may not be visible using the WD apps/software or Windows/Mac file managers.

It is entirely possible you may have inadvertently deleted the data when using the WD software/apps. On the single bay My Cloud there is no “recycle bin” type feature. Once the data is deleted from the My Cloud one may have to resort to using some sort of recovery method. Various attempts at data recovery have been discussed in other threads that can be found using the forum search feature (magnifying glass icon upper right).