Faster way to copy

Not really a problem just my observations and a  question.

1  To create a safepoint containing 800GB on a 4TB MyCloud to 4TB MyBook attached to the MyCloud’s USB port took ~20hrs.  (both are new so both are USB3.0)

2  To copy 1TB of data to a 4TB MyCloud from a 1TB USB3.0 Seagate plugged into the MyCloud USB port using a Mac over a 100Mbps network would have taken 5 days.

3  To copy 1TB of data to a 4TB MyCloud from a 1TB USB3.0 Seagate plugged into a Mac over a 100Mbps network would have taken 2 days.

4  To copy 1TB of data to a 4TB MyCloud from a 1TB USB3.0 Seagate with both devices plugged into a Mac took 8 hours.

I can understand somewhat why 2 & 3 would be slow because they are both dependent on a ‘fast’ (read slow) network.  But what I don’t understand is why #1 took so long.  To my thinking it is not much different than #4.  If anything it should be faster since it is a direct connection.  Yes it was a safepoint, or backup, but it was brand new so a check for files didn’t need to happen just copy the files.  Even if it did need to create an index how much overhead could that be?

So what is it about a safepoint that makes it take almost three times as long as a straight copy?  The filesets were very similar (a couple hundred 2GB video files).

FWIW if you need to copy a lot of data at one time you might be better off just plugging your MyCloud right into your Mac’s ethernet port.  I believe it is also possible to do this on a PC but not quite as easy as just plugging in a cable.

If you had Gb LAN end to end 3 & 4 would be vitually the same. in 2&3 you say you have 100Mbps connection but it sounds like your mac has Gb ports

no idea about safepoints, i don’t use it but there are lots of complaints posted

Edit in 1 you say they are both new so both USB3, have you veriified the external drive is USB3? not all are

edit 2 - the the cable a USB3 cable? they are not the same

You can also plug in a drive to the USB port and then ssh in and copy our files using cp or whatever. That’s the fastest way I know of since it cuts the network out of the loop completely, and should achieve close to drive speeds.

FWIW if you need to copy a lot of data at one time you might be better off just plugging your MyCloud right into your Mac’s ethernet port.  I believe it is also possible to do this on a PC but not quite as easy as just plugging in a cable.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/apple-mac-osx-nfs-mount-command-tutorial/

(1 terabyte) / (900 Mbps) =

2.4691358 hours

With gigabit you should get the above times.  The only thing that seems to work (for me at least) is NFS and DLNA.  Try setting NFS with your mac.  As long as you have gigabit card + gigabit router/switch, you should hit the above speeds.