Data Transfer Rate My Cloud to My Book?

I am having a bunch of issues with my My Cloud 3TB refusing to create a Safepoint to my My Book 3TB. I am on my next round of troubleshooting with Level 2 support.

However, I have a question. I was told that the Safepoint backup uses a Linux protocol, which is why it is so slow. BUT, if I just did a normal copy/paste from the My Cloud to the My Book, which are directly connected via USB 3, it would run at USB 3 speeds.

So, I went to my laptop (connected to the network via WiFi) and told the My Cloud to copy some files to the My Book. It is running over 1,000x slower than USB 3 speeds (500KB/sec vs. 640MB/sec).  Is this an issue with the My Cloud USB port or is the data really getting relayed through my laptop via WiFi and not actually directly copying from one drive to the other?

If it is the latter, can someone tell me how to get it to copy at USB 3 speeds?

Stealth57 wrote:

…I was told that the Safepoint backup uses a Linux protocol, which is why it is so slow. BUT, if I just did a normal copy/paste from the My Cloud to the My Book, which are directly connected via USB 3, it would run at USB 3 speeds.

Both are incorrect.   Safepoints don’t use a “Linux Protocol.”   They use RSYNC – which is not unique to Linux.

And doing a Simple Copy and Paste MIGHT work at USB3 speeds – but it also involves your network, unless you happen to be using the My Cloud Desktop app.  But even then, it’s not going to work at USB3 speeds, since very few hard drives actually come close to those speeds.

Just as a side note, doing the direct data transfer from the My Cloud to the My Book via the USB 3 port failed after about 160GB transferred.  The My Cloud completely dropped off the network and had to be rebooted.  I am now on my final strategy to get the data transferred off the My Cloud and onto the My Book.  I connected the My Book to my Windows laptop (direct connection to my Mac would not even acknowledge the copy…maybe compatibility issues) and using WiFi to connect the two.  Funny thing is that transfer rate is over 2MB/sec, substantially faster than what I was getting when the two units were directly connected.