Fan not working. Code: 0029

I’ve recibe emails about fan stop working

Following events are generated on your WDMyCloudEX2 .
Event title: Fan Not Working
Event description: The system fan is not working. Contact WD Support.
Severity: critical
Event code: 0029
Event time: 03-28-2019 03:05:04 AM
Firmware version: 2.31.174

Is there any way to contact WD Support?
Or there way to solve this?

Hi JuanS,

There can be many conditions under which the “fan not working” notification on the My Cloud device’s dashboard can be triggered. You can refer the link mentioned below to troubleshoot for the issue.

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=25714

@Brandon.P I’ve not yet got a fan problem, but was wondering if it is possible to purchase a spare from someone? It only attaches to the chassis by four screws and one connector to the PCB. Just a 10 minute job to swap out of necessary. I can’t see that there should be a need to return a NAS back to the WD for a fan replacement?

Can you provide the specifications, make and model of the the required fan or a direct compatible make and model? I am Edugessing that the fan for the EX4100 will be the same as for the DL4100?

Hi Myron,

Replacing a fan from My Cloud enclosure would void the warranty of the device. We always recommend contacting WD Support in this concern.

@Brandon.P The DL4100 in discussion and consideration does not a valid warranty so no warranty to void so for me to replace a faulty fan in it should not be a problem. Is it still possible to get a single replacement/spare fan some time in the near future?

I had to do exactly this. My fan failed. They ARE available, though most don’t come with the 3 pin connector.

To replace:

1. Remove the drives (keeping them in the same order)
  2. Open the chassis via the 5 screw on the back
  3. Remove the top mainboard via 6 screws, and by disconnecting the ribbon cable for the front panel
  4. Remove the backplane via screws on the side and top
  5. Remove the fan via the 4 screws
  6. Replace the fan, re-assemble

The fan is mounted label side out, as I recall.

I ordered this fan: 1pc new fan freeship ME92251V3-000U-G99 ME92251V1-000C-F99 12V 1.3W SUNON | eBay (shipping from china took some time). I needed to swap the red and black pins in the connector, which you can via unclipping them and sliding them out. I also ordered a fan from digikey, but it didn’t include the connector, in case you go that route.

Thank-you @michaelsmoody. So apart from swapping the red and black, the NAS can still monitor, correctly, the speed of the fan with this particular fan? The DL4100 is not under any warranty and I have had it open so taking it apart and purring it back together is not a problem.

In my experience there are two things can can go bad and cause grief. First one is the PSU and for that I have a comparable spare that has the right sized plug and the exact voltage with more than enough amps. An actual ACER brand laptop PSU.

The second thing that can end-up going is the fan. The fan in mine is still running fine and where the NAS is there is very little dust, but I would like to be prepared and have a spare fan in-case I end-up getting fan error codes.

Do you have a technical specifications for this FAN?

I got the same problem. Mine was just purchased a few months ago, but I keep getting the Fan not working alert. So I have to reboot it to clear the alert. I don’t think this is hardware problem. Would it be the firmware bug? I already have the latest firmware version.

Just rebooting worked for me.