Extremely slow directory change and browse on Win 10

For a years now our MyCloud Home Duo is extremely slow to reach folders and files in windows file explorer (or any other file browser. Now it is unbearable. It works fine and smooth (more or less) on the android app or web app but on Windows 10 it is unbearable slow. Opening a folder takes 3-5 MINUTES, saving a little file takes a few MINUTES only. After reaching a folder or file copying is quite fast.

The drive is mapped as a drive.
MyCloud Home Duo is 4TB (x2) RAID1, and has TB free space. Connection type is local.
I use wifi on my laptop but that should not be a problem (this is not a speed issue)
I have a Lenovo Legion gaming laptop with 8mb memory.
In the internet settings/connection tab/local network settings I turned off “automatic detection of settings” but that does not help either.
I have no problem reaching via OPENVPN my company’s NAS, it is as fast as it was a local drive.

If somebody has a clue I would appreciate, WD cannot help me at all.

Solution #1 That Worked in 2017

The solution that finally worked for me was to reset the TCP/IP stack. TCP/IP is the communication protocol used on the Internet. It’s also used on the private networks. Although it’s rare, but once in a while the TCP/IP stack can get corrupted. Luckily resetting TCP/IP solved my problem right away.

You can use the NetShell (netsh.exe) utility to reset TCP/IP on any Windows computer, client or server. I have documented all the details in my article How to Reset TCP/IP on Windows Computers.

Solution #2 That Worked in 2018

After a while I started to have the same problem with slow network access to the shared folders, saving files in Outlook, opening or saving files that were on a shared network folder. I am talking about the standard network shares mapped as drives in Windows, not Distributed File System (DFS) shares. This time I modified the registry and disabled DirectoryCacheLifetime, as explained in Microsoft’s article SMB2 Client Redirector Caches Explained. This fixed the problem immediately. For details, please check out my article How to Fix Slow Access to Network Shares.

1 Like

Thank you for your tips and detailed how-to!

At first glance the first solution seems good for me, I test for a while. It still waits while clicking on a folder, but it is definitely faster.

Of course nothing can solve the problem of WD - this NAS will never be fast.