Ex2 ultra streaming to roku media player …

I am totally befuddled with the MyCloud ex2 ultra not being seen on my two roku ultras. Interestingly my much older WdMycloud is totally visible and accessible. The new EXUlta is supposed to be DLNA compliment. There is a button for media server on the old device. I cannot find that button anywhere on the setting for the new Ex2 Ultra. I am not getting a helpful answer for phone support. Other then here are apps you can download. My response to that is I did not need to do that with the old WdMycloud. So if anyone has made the two device work together any help would be much appreciated. Thanks. I would be up and running instead of searching for help. If the media switch were returned. Thanks much

Hi @jmusich1,

Please refer to the article My Cloud Twonky DLNA Media Server Support:

Thank you. So Twonky was the media server software in Os3 then. This is good to know. A page a level for two way from your shared link may help me bettter configure Twonky on my WD Elite dashboard. That will be tomorrow. I still would tike learn the reason it was not included in Os5. If to had been it would have saved days of going between various tech people at WD and other places to resolve the issue. I i will not even mention the return of A WDHome in that mix of the upgrade. The feature certainly should be replaced with a firmware update. My reading at community would suggest many are unhappy. All that being g said thanks for the link. It is much appreciated.

joe musich

No luck with the effort. Which folder that appears in browse when choosing a folder is the question which needs to be answered. Any ideas ?

Hi,

I appreciate that you have performed the troubleshooting steps.

Please contact the WD Technical Support team for best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

The fact that that this customer and others are trying to figure out all the holes in Os5 will most hopefully be noticed somewhere in redoing Os5 to make the operating system more user friendly. I am an old retired guy with time on my hands. Somewhere in engineering must be employed to establish quality. I hope the word gets to that group. My next step will be to see wether I can access the drive through the mac iOS 5 app away from my network. I must say that when speaking with phone support one tech actually was convinced the media tab slider existed in Os5.

Could not agree more that this is frustrating! I’ve been using Roku + MyCloud since 2014 with ZERO issues and no setup needed. The Roku devices just see the drive and it was so easy. I’m still testing my new Ex2 Ultra; it seems to not be worth the effort and I’m probably going to buy a Synology NAS and go through the effort of transferring my files yet AGAIN. Sigh. I tried so hard to stay with WD and it’s just an uphill battle every step of the way. UPDATE: I was able to get the Twonky app to work; still evaluating.

I got my to work by installing twonky. However it required a lot of digging to get it to work. I installed the twonky app via apps in the dashboard toolbar. You then need to configure. Pressing that button/bar leads to configure. This will open twonky and then you need to share the folder. /mnt leaving the choice at the other end open to all. In roku media player you have to hit * help and search for DLNA devices. Give it sometime but it will be seen. It is absolutely clumsy. I seem to have lost the ability to search on the drives tho. It is pretty clear OS5 was not completely and thoroughly tested. I did find out twonky is what was used inside of OS3 that made it so much easier to use.