EX2 Install and Launch Issues - The Blinking Yellow Light, Mirroring, Encryption and More

Good day,

I’m new to the forum, but wanted to throw out some things to any newbies also finding their inner personal cloud and just starting out, and to see if any of the established MyCloud gurus can cut to the chase and confirm or reply on some of my points.

I just spent 4 hours with Tech Support on the phone (Much thanks to Gravis in Dominican Republic).  They should give him a huge raise for his patience as we both muddled threw the launch and learned some things that we’re not sure if they are Mac/Windows issues or MyCloud issues.  I think he was surprised how calm I was, but the challenged to solve the issues was intriguing, and he was really nice.  So, from my experience:

1. Out of the Box - First, If you bought an empty EX2 and separate drives (because the store has sold out of populated EX2 devices). You have to quick format the drives once you get the MyCloud Setup software installed.  This is mentioned no where in the literature or once the software is installed; like some small note saying: “hey, your drives are not formatted, that is why you’re getting a blinking yellow LED light.” or “If you purchased an empty device with separate drives…”

2. Yellow Blinking LED -  We tried to solve the blinking yellow LED light.  He then realized what I was noting about having bought the unit empty with separate drives.  That is when he understood I had bought an empty EX2 and separate drives. So, we did a quick format of the drives using the software.  Success!! No more yellow blinking LED

3. MyCloud Setup Software - Back to the software.  We could not get the MyCloud Setup software to work properly on my Macbook Pro 13".  After some searching through WD site, and him bringing in a co-worker, the current Mac Setup files that are listed on the WD downloads page, are the wrong file(s).  He will forward that up the chain.

4. Install and launching with MS Windows - On the Windows 7 side (I’ve got my mac partitioned for OS and Windows 7), went well.  Verdict: this works far better in Windows than Mac. Can anyone concur what I’m saying?  Once we got this installed on Windows, we both thought, maybe it will now recognize on the Mac side.  On the Mac side, the EX2 was found in the Dashboard and all data agreed with the Windows side, but the software for uploading docs did not function properly.  So, we gave up.  Now, in all the reviews I’ve read, this issue has been raised numerous times, so if anyone has a fix, love to hear it.

5. Formatting to RAID 1 - Mirroring.  It appears, from our multiple attempts, you CANNOT encrypt if you’re choosing to format to RAID 1 - to mirror the drives.  When we did this, the drive health would say “no volume found.”  If we opted not to encyrpt, after formatting to RAID 1,  it said “healthy.”  Anyone else have this issue or is there some logical reason why you can’t encrypt when formatting to mirror? 

6. Mobile Devices - Once up and running - adding the mobile devices was easy.  I have Samsung Galaxy S5 and Galaxy Pro 8.4 Tablet. On both, I went to the play store, downloaded the WDMyCloud App AND the MyCloud Photo App.  The photo app allows for seamless upload of pics from your mobile devices; his suggestion and one I’ll pass along here.

That’s all I have.  I’ve been uploading pics and all appears to be going well.  I want to keep this as secure as possible, so I do have it password protected and in my private side. I also have my SSID Broadcast on my router disabled.  Any other suggestion are welcomed.

Much thanks

I concur with your points 1 & 2…I had bought a diskless EX2 also, just a week after it was launched (6 months ago) but I was able to figure that out within 15-20 minutes on my own. But yes, it could have and should have been more intuitive OR at least mentioned in a note on the diskless model.