Enter content

Jus received MyCloud and after installation and watching “how tos” come to think that entering content by giving instruction into Run, is surely a stone age method. Am I wrong here. Surely there must be a more convinient way?

Thanks

A convenient way to do what? What are you doing where you need to use the “Run” command?

If you haven’t already, you should read through the WD My Cloud User Manual, it has general information and directions on how to use the WD My Cloud.

and watching “how tos” come to think that entering content by giving instruction into Run, is surely a stone age method.

Maybe you could point us to the ‘howto’ video in question that suggests using ‘Run’.  Then we might have a better idea of what you’re trying to do.

Thanks. Here is the page

http://setup.wd2go.com/?mod=faqs&device=mc&faq=uploadMedia

Eikukaan wrote:

Thanks. Here is the page

http://setup.wd2go.com/?mod=faqs&device=mc&faq=uploadMedia

That is one way to use Windows Explorer to access the WD My Cloud directly. The other way, the way many people seem to do it, is to simply launch Windows Explorer, then navigate to their WD My Cloud. Once they have Windows Explorer open one can “map” a folder from the WD My Cloud via these directions: How to map a WD My Cloud or NAS product on a Windows PC

The easiest way to open Windows Explorer is to click on the Start button, then select “Computer”.

How to Open Windows Explorer

Assuming that ‘Go’ is the same as ‘Start’ in Windows, it looks like it’s just using it to launch Finder, and then using Finder to copy files. So just use Finder… If necessary, map the MyCloud into the Mac’s file system: see p23 of the Set Manual.

The ‘related video’ shows how to use the WD app to access the MyCloud, and isn’t needed for local access if you map the drive.

[edit: The link came up pointing to OSX instructions for me: I see there’s an equivalent Windows page, too…]

Thanks guys

I have the WE open and I can see there under Network

the following 

A folder on my first name??

Public

-shared music

-shared pictures

-shared videos

Smartware

Timemachinebackup

The Public sounds normal and I assume you can add folder as you like? Have not tried yet. The rest I need to find out from the User Manual. 

cpt_paranoia wrote:

Assuming that ‘Go’ is the same as ‘Start’ in Windows, it looks like it’s just using it to launch Finder, and then using Finder to copy files. So just use Finder… If necessary, map the MyCloud into the Mac’s file system: see p23 of the Set Manual.

The ‘related video’ shows how to use the WD app to access the MyCloud, and isn’t needed for local access if you map the drive.

[edit: The link came up pointing to OSX instructions for me: I see there’s an equivalent Windows page, too…]

My goodness, all these PC users trying to help a Mac user :stuck_out_tongue:

No the ‘Go’ is not the same as ‘Start’… Macs don’t need to start :stuck_out_tongue: it just works :stuck_out_tongue:

So mapping a drive on a Mac is 

1. Using Finder (clicking anywhere on a blank area on the screen) will display the file menu at the top

2. select ‘Go’,

3. then select ‘Connect to Server’

4. type in your Server Address which can be any of the following examples:

AFP://192.168.0.15 <=== replace with your own Cloud ip and this connects via AFP protocol

SMB://192.168.0.15 <=== ditto as above connects via SMB

smb://WDMyCloud/Cloudy <=== replace with the name of your cloud, mine is Cloudy

or simply click Browse and select your Cloud. 

1 Like

No the ‘Go’ is not the same as ‘Start’…

We’re still no nearer the ‘Run’ that the OP asked about…

My old Mac SE had a ‘start’ button; it was the Apple symbol in the top left corner. Perhaps I should go and start it up to see if it’s still there…