DX4000 Stuck on Loading OS

Power outage yesterday caused the DX4000 to shut down unexpectedly. Now its been stuck on Loading OS overnight. Tried resetting this morning but it is still stuck on Loading OS a few hours later. Starting to get worried now, any ideas on trying to find out if it is still alive?

can you ping the box? If not either wait 5 days and see if anything changes or start a recovery with the iso you get by contacting WD Support

You don’t by chance have a USB drive plugged in do you? I have seen that stop it from loading the OS in the past.

It eventually fixed itself after 5 hours. But it has just happened again, its been 24 hours and no action from it. Can’t really afford to have this much downtime, should I look at recovery from an ISO?

I think I would get a UPS first

Got one yesterday, albeit too late though as I’m in this situation at the moment. Is it possible to do a recovery without losing data? Is this via creating a bootable USB for server recovery? The manual says it can be done without losing data, it just doesn’t show where you tell the PC not to erase all the data

Is it possible to do a recovery without losing data?

There is an option in recovery to “recover” and keep data. But if your raid is rebuilding now it will continue to rebuild during the recovery. I think you should only do a recovery if it fails to ever boot again on it’s on.

Have you tried to ping the box or actually access it. That msg will stay there until the lcd service starts. As it could actually be working the service is just not started.

Tried pinging by the name of the server, no response. Can’t access via remote desktop, launchpad is saying it is offline. Server is still making noise as if it is still loading. How are you supposed to know when it is going to fail to load again?

If it does not load in six days, it is probably not going to. I suppose if you had four 4tb drives it could take longer

Wouldn’t the result be the same, recovery would still take a while or would that be presuming it is not rebuilding the RAID and is just stuffed?

I am working on the assumption that you do not have a backup. The only way to get to recovery mode from where you are is to power off. We know that is not a good thing. If I needed the data I personally would wait. But perhaps I am over cautious.

I need the data as there is no backup. But I was under the impression a recovery was possible without losing data

24 hours later, no action

Your data has to be there for a recovery keeping data works. Perhaps open a support ticket from WD and get their feedback. I just hate to see you power off the box if it is avoidable

I spoke to WD, they are going to send me a link for an ISO that will reinstall the server software, apparently, without losing the data…not sure if I’m game to try it or not. Tempted just to hand this over to someone to recover the data and throw the device in the bin

There is only one iso and it has different options. You have to get it from wd support. They removed it from the downloads page :frowning:

I spoke to WD, they mentioned that if it was rebuilding the RAID it would still stay it was initialising. Since it is saying Loading OS they reckon its the operating system gone wrong. They are going to send me a link for an ISO that will reinstall the server software, apparently, without losing the data…not sure if I’m game to try it or not. Tempted just to hand this over to someone to recover the data and throw the device in the bin. They’ve just given me http://downloads.wdc.com/private/PANAM_SvrRecovery_1_7_6_21_.iso. Would’ve thought it should have been APAC being in Australia? They did take the serial number down so I presume they’ve sent me the right one. They are telling me if I follow the guide and perform a system recovery I will not lose any files. Is this correct?

Question: what data is it giving me the option to keep? The programs? Or any other files?

I created 3 folders on the network. One for a program which had the program files plus any documents (PDF, Excel, etc) created and filed there. Another just for storing general stuff and another for music. Do you reckon it is going to let me keep these?

the system C: drive is totally wiped and reloaded in both cases. The D: is what is left alone when you say keep data

All users/computers start new at zero. Any programs installed on C: will be gone

I think the difference in APAC Panam and the other one (Emma?)are language files. So PANAM should be fine for English