DX4000 Stuck on Loading OS

I cant remember what drive the shared folders I created would be on it, are they default to be on D or is possible its on C?

If you used the wizard in the dashboard to create them, they should be on D: unless you changed it. C: is only 60gb so I think you would have avoided using it

Yeah I didn’t change a thing. Would’ve followed where any other folders for sharing were. D drive would’ve been were I installed all the folders for the 1 program I had installed on there so do you think it would leave all the files alone?

Everything on D: should still be there after, if it is there before if you select keep.

No clue on your program I mean like I said everything on D: should stay but many programs may make a registry entry for example which would be on C: So you may have to reinstall the program but any data on D: should still be on D:

Ok. WD are telling me the USB has to be 2.0 and not 3.0, whys that?

I have actually used a USB 3.0 thumb before. You are welcome to try one. If the wizard sees the thumb to build it, it should work. I think I would use a usb 2.0 port on my computer to make the thumb though to make sure it is accessible in 2.0

Truth be known, some folks have had issues with certain USB 2.0 thumbs

It does read and work, I just found it odd they’d say that if it works

Considering its just the OS that’s got issues there’s no way to get into the file system?

Thanks for all you help mate. I’ve dropped it off to someone who believes they can recover the data on it. Once I get it back along with the data backup ill then do the system restore. I’m not game to do it without knowing the data is going to be 100% safe and id feel a lot better about this process. I’ve purchased a cyber power UPS, is there any special configurations that need to be done with the DX4000 to ensure it shuts it down properly? I’ve just heard stories of incompatible UPS not shutting it down properly and experiencing this all over again

There is raid recovery software (google it) around 275us. Most will show you the data for free and pay to copy. But I have no clue if it works if your raid is rebuilding. In your case I just do not know if the OS is simply corrupt and will not boot or if one or more drives has failed.

Hopefully the OS just went south.

I am no expert on UPS(es) but my thoughts are if you plug it in and see a battery in the systray you are good to go.

I think your new focus should be on backups. If your box is 2tb useable you can use the built in windows server backup. If it is larger you have to look elsewhere. If you like start a new thread on that.

Please keep us posted on what goes on so we can all learn from your experience.

All the Best,
Grey

3 days of stress and panic and a dozen phone calls to IT techs who either said they couldn’t do it or hold me ransom to my data for days on end or charge me an arm and a leg, finally found someone who pulled the data I need off it within 24 hours for $95. Have just loaded it back up, storage bad error now, probably because of how they have got into it to get the data out. So will recreate the storage, tested the recovered data and it is fine, then recover to factory settings!

Great news. Think the dude will share what software he used to get the data back? Just be nice to know.

I’ll see if I can find out how they’ve done it, might be a trade secret though :wink:

I’m getting this annoying message now when trying to reinstall the connector software on the PC:

Happen on all clients?

You can read the links below if you like, but I think the issue is the task scheduler. (You have applied all windows updates to the server? Did you also have the uEFI hotfix before ? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2781274 )

I would open the task scheduler and delete all the Windows server Essentials tasks

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11209-whs2011-connector-and-windows-10/

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/84e2d89b-767f-43bb-a226-c4a328adc1bb/trouble-installing-launchpad-logs-included-update-solved?forum=smallbusinessserver2011essentials

I was originally getting this:

Then I ran Microsoft’s easy fix: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/kb/2723674. Then I started getting those errors above. Downloaded a Microsoft.NET repair tool, it made some changes to services.msc but now I’m back to square one and getting this error. By the way, Windows 10 so I know its the OS but not sure how to fix this up

Found this:

Now back to the 1603 error

Bugger it, I’m throwing this thing away. I’ve tried everything. Installed the hotfix, no good. Task scheduler seems to work fine. Another day wasted :rage:. I can see the server and everything, but cannot install connector software. Time for a new NAS I think…Is there anything else from WD worth considering? The reason I liked this was due to the ability to install programs directly onto it. So long as i can store the data from the program onto the NAS, so just install it directly to a shared folder, and it runs fast for multiple users then something without a windows OS would suffice

Check the date, not the time on the server (DX4000)

WD no longer has any windows Boxes. Thecus is the newest windows essentials out there. If you want client PC backups that is the only option out there. Or you can get an HP Microserver and a copy of Windows Standard and enable the essentials role, but that is pricey.

If you just need a shared folder to store data most any NAS will do that. But note you cannot set widows permissions on a WD NAS box. Only works if all the shares are public. Qnap or others may do better at that.