Drive Sleep - drive never sleeps

Update: I tried turning all sharing off and shutting down the one PC I had used to access, and they drives did sleep. I will gradually turn things back on and see what is causing it.

So I have a my cloud mirror gen 2. I have upgraded to OS5. I have noticed since the upgrade that the drives never sleep, at all. The unit is pulling 15watts 24/7 and the drives are constantly spinning. I have turned off cloud access and ssh and the problem persists.

Sometimes I might not access the device for a few days, seems pointless to have the drives spinning and wasting all that power and heat constantly. I have the “Drive Sleep” option turned on.

The only way I have got the drives to sleep is by unplugging the network cable and then leaving it for 20 minutes.

I have seen other posts where drives are intermittently waking, but with mine it is just constant, never spin down.

Any ideas for things I can try?

Thanks
Jamie

Ok, next update. So it seems to be having an SMB mapped share. I am guessing even though I am writing nothing to the drives, I am guess windows is doing some kind of check to see if the mapped drive is still up and that is taking the drives out of sleep.

I will see if it is repeatedly reproducible and report back.

Others have had this problem.

Not sure I ever heard the cause.

One theory related to things like PLEX.

Another theory centered on the Cloud Access.

NOTE: If you turn off cloud access; then the unit will do a complete re-indexing if you ever enable it again. Indexing is a serious brush with death for any MyCloud Mirror.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. Ok, so having turned off Cloud Access, and making sure no other access is going on the drives are now finally sleeping. I will try turning back on Cloud Access in a day or so and see what happens. It is only pulling 5 watts now with the drives in a sleep state. Cloud access would of course be good but not if pulling 20 watts and having the drives going 24/7. Although I don’t really want to spend the money, I would be tempted to swap out the two drives for two SSDs.