After Os5 update no more sleep

HI everyone!
Yesterday Ive updated to Os5 my drive, since then the drive is not able to sleep anymore.
Today I conmected the Cloud services in order to turn off the Cloud availability on the Shares, and the I deactivated the Cloud access.
The drive is still clicking once every 10 secs and is not going to sleep.

I use the drive as a Safepoint from another drive so its just a mirror, I dont want any service running there.
Is there any chance that Os5 is going to index/whatever every file anyway besides all the Cloud deactivation I made already?

3 Likes

Same problem with me. Contacted to wd support and get no response

3 Likes

If one uses the forum search feature, magnifying glass icon upper right, they’ll find a number of past discussion on sleep issues with My Cloud devices using the OS5 firmware.

https://community.wd.com/search?q=sleep%20category%3A252

I wish I checked here instead of updating!!!
They now even took the ability of power off the unit using WD Smartview now. How the heck im gonna shut down when I need it?
First I need a solution for the sleep. I can try format and restore the data (790gb) but if its going to be the same is not worth it

1 Like

Can’t believe what Im gonna say but, Im turning this unit off for good. Until WD can figure out and push a valid update…
Im gonna have to schedule myself a “backup reminder” and do it manually once a week instead of letting the unit ON and giving the possibility of spinning a whole week just for nothing.

PS: oh, for power OFF I found a useful post from 2017!!! that a super cool user found that editing the CSS html code (or whatever its called) you can “make visible” the Hybernate button, temporary of course because its just on that web tab. So WD never fixed that since 4 YEARS hahaha daaaamn Im sooo frustrated on you guys of WD!!! why do you do this to us!!!

1 Like

Wow… I really fu*** the things up moving to Os5…

1 Like

Yeah same my used to go to sleep after updating to My Cloud OS 5 now it doesn’t which is lame just posted an hour ago all I got was search the forurm which was no help. might go back to a Windows NAS and salvage the 4TB out of the My Cloud.

1 Like

Yes, I see no need for an end user going SSH to investigate things like this.
Even WD saying that there is no way to come back to OS3, an user posted how to do that.
I dont get it, im confused.
Now that I found a post on how to show the Hibernate button (editing the html code on the Dashboard) I found out that even Hibernating the drive, once the blu led goes off, if you dont unplug the unit the hard drive still spinning…
Unbelievable! I own a MyBookLive too and when it sleeps, there is no spinning…
Whats the criteria here?

1 Like

Yes agreed I don’t understand SSH neather even as a full time computer user. Bennor sent me links to possibly revert it back to OS 3 but it’s all to complex for me, shame it can’t be a simple bin file to restore the My Cloud back to OS 3 really frustrating.

About the hibernate button I just figured that out yesterday from a German guy on YouTube, even then like what you said it doesn’t stop spinning.

My dad has a MyBookLive and I noticed his has a shut down button on the Dashboard which is also werid in it’s own right why they would remove it, but his spins down as it should.

Have the same sleep and no power off problems with OS 5, contacted support and of course no reply. Instead of letting my drive and data spin/click for eternity inside a tiny plastic box, I busted out the 4TB drive and went back to using my HTPC for full NAS duties. It was already a backup anyway. This will be my last WD NAS product. Best of luck to everyone. If this was part of some sly plan to get me to upgrade, it failed spectacularly.

2 Likes

I don’t think so aldamon… think it this way, if it is part of a plan, you first have to be in love with their products and brand to contemplate upgrade and buy again WD. Maybe it is a plan but was designed by the ones that designed the firmware 2.xxxxx MyCloud’s Dashboard… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Same I busted out my 4TB as well and put it in my Windows NAS Server at least now it will be able sleep now. :joy:

1 Like

I submitted a ticket, which they initially deflected by saying it’s not supposed to sleep because it’s a cloud drive (lol) but now on second reply they want logs. Obviously I can’t produce logs having given up on the product but I recommend anyone sticking around to submit a ticket and follow through to get sleep working. GLTA.

2 Likes

hahaha that answer… lovely!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I sent mine back under warranty before I took it a part saying " My WD My Cloud will not go to sleep even though the drive sleep option is enabled" and they said “We couldn’t see any problems with the drive” and they wanted me to provide logs also. What confused me was they could have checked the logs when they had it instead of puting more pressure on the end user. :rage:

After taking the drive out I’ve had zero issues what so ever felt like the My Cloud was a massive bottleneck and Headache.

e.

2 Likes

Yeah, I wasn’t sure if it was just me being pissed with massive confirmation bias, but it seemed like the reads/writes went to hell with OS 5 as well. Plenty fast in the HTPC now on gigabit. Hey, I got the thing 3 years ago for $99 refurb so at least I still have a usable 4TB HDD to show for it. If they want to deflect instead of fixing this, then that’s their prerogative I guess. I’m sure a suit decided having all drives on the same firmware was in the “best interest” of the company, unfixed bugs be damned. Hopefully they’re at least patched properly across the board.

1 Like

What I don’t understand is why on one side, there are official topic on this forum saying about the updates and the patches and asking the Comunity to keep reporting stuff.
And on the other hand, when you call Support and say something about this issue, they answer in such an â– â– â– â– â–  way.
Thats by far, taking us as stupids, honestly. Or they just don’t care.
I mean, a hard drive is just a hard drive… I understand what you did guys tearing the drive appart, but what we bougth is a NAS (at least in theory, right) not just a hard drive.
And don’t get me wrong! saying that the WD hard disk is working better on a HTPC is just pointing more and more the looks to this “os5” strategy that we honestly don’t understand.

Now, Im not gonna take my time and risk into go back to the oS3 using a method that an user discovered, but that’s ok. Because Im just that, an end user, right?
Now, this particular part of WD company is not really taking care enough of this product.
Of course our single bay MyCloud’s are just the entry level of the Cloud’s but to me at leas, in our ■■■■■■ country, that cost money and a lot of money! so I was happy with the MyBookLive! when the HARDRIVE started to fail I had to put it to sleep (pun intended) and I happily bough another one! that was so many years ago, and when I learn that a NAS is “not a backup, son”
I save money and bough the “next gen” of MyBookLive because they were not in the market anymore by that time… but that’s it, I only need it to be my raid of my MyBookLive.
And besides waking up to do something once in a while, was fine by me to have it sleep most part of the day.

Now that’s not gonna happen again??? Because “it’s a cloud” and on the other side firmware patches have release notes regarding sleep issues?
I cannot use WD QuickView to turn the drive off, because with OS5 there is no way to use it, and is discontinued since 2019, ok guys, how do I turn off safetly my drive??

That last thing has at 4 years of non solution, and counting…

I don’t like when somebody just don’t give a &%&#& on me, it’s just sad…

You’re spot on, OS5 is a massive ■■■■-up. I had 4x8tb Ironwolf drives in a PR4100 and constant noise and occasional scratching sounds were common along with random sleep-wake cycles. I moved the same disks to a Synology, it’s been a month and I haven’t heard any of these noises and the system sleeps like a baby when not in use.

With OS5, WD cut down feature set to half and released a half-baked untested software to public. And the system will continue grinding your disks for a couple of days in the name of indexing before you can properly access your own data. Last I checked, I couldn’t even access OS5 mobile app within the same LAN as my NAS without signing in to WD server. I won’t be surprised if WD installs that Edgerover crapware on your NAS and forces you to access even your local data in cloud.

Right now the best way forward is to install OS3 and thank the guy who found the way to do so.

2 Likes

Man, I just gave up after the 2nd day of forum browsing. Im using a method from another star user that discovered that editing the HTML code on the Dashboard you can make “appear” the Hybernate button, just one time, if you close the browser of course, you have to edit the code again. Editing the code takes me about 10 sec now that an user post it here luckily. 2017 and no patch even for our old os3 firmware? hahah way to go!
So I took the power cord out man, look, I’ve made a calendar reminder once a week in my phone to remind me “do the backup ass$%&$!!!” so when that happens, I plug the power on, run the safepoint update manually from the BookLive and then edit the html code to “power off” the drive and then take of course off the power cord because if I don’t do that the drive stills spinning, even without any led on.

Yeah! I went back to 1999!!!