Drive Offline When Trying to Upload a Photo from iPhone Camera Roll

Has anyone had any issues uploading direct from the iPhone camera roll to MyCloud? Im selecting the picture just as I would if I was going to send it as a text but instead I pick MyCloud. Then it pulls up the device and wants me to select a location. It comes back with Drive Offline when I try to select a location.

The picture is very small in size and the only thing I could find close to this issue was if the auto lock time was short. Mine is set to 5 min but that can’t be an issue for simply trying to upload a single photo right?

Anyone have any ideas? The regular MyCloud app is working find on my phone and I can upload picture using the app, its just a little easier to send them directly from the cameral roll instead.

Are you on the same local network as the My Cloud? Or are you at a remote location when trying to access the My Cloud?

If at a remote location, one generally will have to use the WD My Cloud mobile app, or the MyCloud.com web portal, to upload files to the My Cloud. Or enable the FTP option within the My Cloud Dashboard (and port forward FTP ports to the MY Cloud within your router) and remotely upload files via FTP. Note however that FTP is not secure. There are several unofficial methods of remote access but they involve using SSH to modify/edit the My Cloud firmware.

So basically the option to upload using the small file with the up arrow icon (same as I would click to add the picture to a text message) will only work if Im on the same network? Currently I was trying to upload this way just over LTE so no I wasn’t on the same local network.

Correct. If using LTE only then the phone is on a separate network outside of the local network the My Cloud is connected to. Hence your accessing the My Cloud remotely even if standing right next to it. The workaround, if you can connect to the WiFi network the My Cloud is connected too, is to disable LTE/Data or set the phone/app to use WiFi rather than LTE.

Generally one needs to use one of the WD My Cloud apps or the MyCloud.com web portal when trying to access the My Cloud remotely.

No guys, not even close.

Hi, I am the guy who warned about the auto-lock issue. Just the other day I needed to upload a few new photos and had to relearn the procedure since it had been a while since uploading any…

You don’t go to the photo first to upload, you go in to your location on the My Cloud device using the MC mobile app…

My uploaded photos are kept in various folders, so I have a folder in the Public photo section named My New Uploads; from there I move them to their unique folders. So, I go to that folder (currently empty) by using the mobile MC app. I then press the three dot menu at upper right. Tapping that brings up a drop down menu, and you need to choose Add Photo (even if you are adding more than one). Tap that and you see Camera Roll icon. Tap it and there are all your photos, and of course, the oldest ones are first, so you need to scroll to the bottom to find the new one(s) you want to upload. (a pain; newest should be on top.)
Select your photos and you will see an Upload icon at bottom right. Tap that and you photos will be uploaded to the folder you selected at the start.

(I then put the new uploads in their proper folders, and the New Uploads folder is empty and ready for the next time I upload.

LTE? That won’t even work. My MC device is available to me through ANY Wi-Fi network I connect to, including the ubiquitous xfinitywifi network I can access. I can stream from my MC device from any Wi-Fi I am on.

Anyway, I turned off Wi-Fi just now and tried to get to my MC device from LTE. It barfed, revoked my authorization, and removed the MC from my list of devices. I had to turn Wi-Fi back on, restart app and re-authorize the MC access again.

Why even try to use LTE?

Because there’s no WiFi available…?

Just turned off WiFi, which switched my phone to 4G LTE, and the MyCloud app connected to my MyCloud with no problem.

I’m in the UK, which has nationwide network coverage. Maybe the US ‘city fiefdoms’ mobile networks aren’t as effective?

ps. I’m not using an iPhone. I’m using a MotoE Gen2. Its 4G LTE data service is seamless with its WiFi service.

Huh? What isn’t even close? OP indicated above they were using LTE. OP did not indicate if they were in a remote location or could use WiFi to access the same local network as the My Cloud.

Thank you for reporting the “send to” feature issue in My Cloud Mobile App 4.4.5 for iOS
The fix will be available in the next release.

Thank You,
Samuel Brown

Thanks for taking a look at this issue.

Just to confirm for others on the chain.

1. If I use the WD App on my iPhone I can access the drive using either LTE or WiFi from a remote location. I don’t have to be on the same local network.

2. I just confirmed that if I try to go through photos and send the pic/video to MyCloud that it DOES work if Im using WiFi on the same local network.

The only issue is that I can’t go through the photos and send a pic/video to MyCloud from a remote location. (I need to double check if WiFi from a remote location is an issue when going through photos but I would guess it will be).

Thanks

Thanks for checking. So, I tried again, and all went well. It must have been a glitch that did not return this time. Since I hardly ever use LTE, I could not remember if it ever worked. I do recall streaming music to phone from MC NAS while on a bus recently. It was like I was on my home network, just slower bandwidth, but I was still able to stream an m4v I had made from an old UK TV series – an episode of the Prisoner I had made from my BD disk set. Great series, BTW, They just don’t make shows as good as this one today.

Anyway . . .

OK, so it works on LTE on my iPhone,.and I did the upload of a photo as I describe how, earlier. Well, I did all steps but actually hitting Upload.

Well, that is settled, LTE works (if other things work with MC app). Although, the point is the OP was trying to upload the photo with the steps “backwards”, and LTE was not the problem as we now know.

The steps to upload photo. One has to be in the destination folder before selecting the photo to send as I described. Now, if someone can prove this comment wrong, I would really like to know.

The problem is the user cannot reach the destination folder because they were using LTE. The OP subsequently indicated that using WiFi while connected to the same local network the My Cloud it works for them.

Further it appears that while the iPhone Camera Roll program was linking to the WD My Cloud for iOS mobile app (which wasn’t clear with the OP’s posts that was what was happening) there is a bug in the My Cloud for iOS mobile app which SBrown acknowledged above that prevented the mobile app from working properly to allow the file to be uploaded through the WD mobile app…

Yep, In simple terms…

The bug is that I cannot upload a photo from the camera roll using the linked MyCloud app function because I cannot select a folder when i am NOT connected to the local network that the MyCloud device is on.

Hello,

Thank you for reporting the “send to” feature issue in My Cloud Mobile App 4.4.5 for iOS
The fix will be available in the next release.

Regards,
Samuel Brown

I do not experience this “bug” as I mentioned in a post above. Although I said I first had an issue connecting to the MC device while on LTE , that problem did not re-occur later (or just now, again), and once I was on LTE I did get to the folder location to upload into, etc. and was also able to access MC device to stream media just fine.

Therefore, as far as I am concerned then, there is no bug to prevent this, so I recommend the OP un-install the MC mobile app, reboot the iOS device via the power button, and after phone reboots, to re-install the mobile app and try again…

Hi

Yes this works but why can’t I do it the way as before? It was so much easier. Any ideas or reason why?

Paul

I have never used it the way you describe, and I have been uploading the way I describe for over six months. Just deal with it, I suppose. Guess the app was changed since you last uploaded.