Do NOT update firmware

Thanks nospammers for your reply. I just did what you suggested…I am rebooting the drive in the dashboard but its now stuck at the ‘initailizing drive’ stage. It warns against closing the window. I am waiting for the initializing to end and then I’ll restart the computer and hopefully everything will be back to normal. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Been there, Ann!  It will never change.  But if you refresh the page in your browser you’ll probably see that it’s done.  And even then, refreshing your browser 10 minutes later may change the status from bad to good.  PLEASE don’t ask me why!

Hello nospammers, I tried all that tricks that you told me but I didn’t have luck. My drive still shows orange light in the front. I think that the firmware messed up something. I am going to now try and get all the stuff on the drive backed up and do a return. Its sad but I was begining to like the drive.  Hopefully I’ll be able to get a good replacement. Thanks so much for all the help.

I’m sorry, Ann,  I wish it had worked out better.  After all the time I spent with their tech support today and the fact that I’m not the only one, I really wish they’d withdraw the update until they can fix the things we’re seeing.

No, the problem ( if one is systemic ) would be with the OLD firmware, not the update…

I sorry TonyPh12345, I don’t know what you mean. How can it be a problem with the old firmware when the drive was working good with it. The problem was created with the new firmware. I just hope WD puts out a corrected firmware soon or else I am returning the drive back. I am now thinking of buying a Seagate NAS drive. Hopefully they can retain me as a customer by rolling out a firmware soon.

Because from the sound of it, your boxes never got the chance to even run the new FW. The upgrade process is controllled by the CURRENT FW, not the new…

So how do I fix this problem? I checked the dashboard and it says that the new firmware has been installed. When I click on the button for checking new firmware, it says that there are now new firmwares available. Is there a way to rollback the firmware and revert back to the older relatively stable firmware? Thanks.

I just ran the update on my system at home. No issues at all with the update.

I would contact support tomorrow to let them get your logs in order to see what the possible issue might be. All releases are tested extensively before released to the field, and issues like this are taken very seriously.

Can you access the files on the shares? Do you have any other issues besides the dashboard being wonky?

Tony

ann77 wrote:

So how do I fix this problem? I checked the dashboard and it says that the new firmware has been installed. When I click on the button for checking new firmware, it says that there are now new firmwares available. Is there a way to rollback the firmware and revert back to the older relatively stable firmware? Thanks.

What firmware has been installed, is it the latest. There is no way of going back. According to WD if the firmware does go wrong then after a reboot (unplug from power) it should revert to the old firmware.

I have the new firmware running and everything is OK so it is nothing to do with stability. The problem is in the updating process. 

The last update should be

Version:MyBookLive 01.03.03 : MioNet 4.3.0.8

I agree that the problem is in the updating process.  But to say there is no problem just because it worked for you is a bit naive.  More than one of us has encountered it and after several hours online with WD yesterday they are sending me a new drive to replace the one damaged by the update process.  I’m glad it worked for some of you, but that doesn’t change the reality that it did not work for others.

nospammers wrote:

I agree that the problem is in the updating process.  But to say there is no problem just because it worked for you is a bit naive.  More than one of us has encountered it and after several hours online with WD yesterday they are sending me a new drive to replace the one damaged by the update process.  I’m glad it worked for some of you, but that doesn’t change the reality that it did not work for others.

I did not say that there was no problem. I did say that there was no problem with it after it was installed. Your problem has only been with updating and my reply does say that I agree. No doubt your new drive will have the latest firmware installed and you will see that once installed it works perfectly.

Yes, that would make sense since I already agreed the problem was with the updating process.

Hi I have just made a post about this firmware update I have done it and now my monitor software has gone from good to bad also the green rings have stopped moving also the software on my task bar is not saying if the temp. Is OK it just says unknown but I know there is no fault if the network drive, everything was working fine until the upgrade and it took longer than normal. I can access the drive through my browser and through “my computer” with no problems so I would think that WD should release a fix for this also my light has gone white and no longer on green when in use and also no longer go to the blue light when nothing is using it.

unamatrix_one wrote:

Hi I have just made a post about this firmware update I have done it and now my monitor software has gone from good to bad also the green rings have stopped moving also the software on my task bar is not saying if the temp. Is OK it just says unknown but I know there is no fault if the network drive, everything was working fine until the upgrade and it took longer than normal. I can access the drive through my browser and through “my computer” with no problems so I would think that WD should release a fix for this also my light has gone white and no longer on green when in use and also no longer go to the blue light when nothing is using it.

What version is the firmware on your mybooklive?

Did you reboot your computer and did you reboot mybooklive (remove power and then reconnect)

The replacement drive just arrived–with version 01.02.03 of the firmware, and an immediate alert that an update was available.  (That’s not surprising since the update is new and the drive was manufactured and loaded in the past.)  Since the drive was working fine before I did the update, I’m probably not going to mess with this one.  Just out of curiosity… for those who updated successfully, did you do so via the link in the alert, or did you do so through the Settings / Updates link?  I know they should both point to the exact same update code, but…

I clicked the alert to update mine…

I think thats the way to go for updating the firmware.

What I did was go into the settings and then checked for updates for firmware from there. I think that messed up the MBL for me. Maybe WD should put out a note saying that instead of updating the firmware from the settings page,  people should wait for an alert about new firmware to acutally update their MBL.

Well as for my MBL I sent my system log  and I waiting for feedback from WD about a fix for it. Hoping they’ll come up with a solution soon or else the drive is going back.

Sorry to mess up the pattern, but I clicked on the alert for my update which led to all of this.  Looks like it doesn’t make any difference.  Something else I’m wondering, though… I ran it from the Firefox browser on a 64-bit Mac running Java SE 6 (v. 1.6.0_22-b04-307).  Is it possible that the difference between working and not working is the version of Java running the update script?

I’ll leave the rest of the diagnostic work to WD, but my curiosity wouldn’t let me just let it drop…

I ran it via quick view which appears in the bottom notification area. The quick view box tells you there is new firmware and you click on the update link and the mybooklive takes over and updates itself. The good thing is that there are no ‘doomsday’ onscreen warnings.