My Book Live Firmware Update - Version 2.00.35 (7/28/11)

WD is happy to announce the latest firmware updatefor My Book Live. For information about the firmware update, please check out the release notes.

Feel free to post your experiences in this thread.

No problem doing the update here…  Took about 10 minutes.

Couple of minor bugs:

• I keep getting bumped out of the UI when trying to check the Backup Status.  After logging back in, I can check successfully. 

• Backup status ETA decreases, but it’s not increasing % complete.

• By looking at my destination NAS, I can tell it’s at about 15% complete, but UI still says 0%.  

• It also doesn’t change the filename that’s backing up.  The file shown as “Currently copying…” is a small file that should not take 10 minutes to copy.

- Backup seems to be going at a barely respectable 50 megabits per second.  CPU% is 100% with Perl & RSYNC being the large contributors.  Given that RSYNC is EXTREMELY CPU intensive, it’s not that surprising.

- ETA seems rather pessimistic.   In 10 minutes, it’s copied a bit less than 5 gigabytes of data.   It has 35 gigabytes total, which means it should take about 70 minutes total.   Its ETA started at 2 hours.

• Ah.  Status just jumped from 0% to 20% in one stroke, after about 15 minutes of operation.

The status and ETA are not perfect. Meant as an approximation.

Did WD update Twonky to 6.0 with that new FW?

no, twonky server is 5.1.9

the download speed is not okay,

ich have 16 mbit download but ftp transfer over nat ist 300 kb/s

When I click ‘check for update’ I get a ‘please wait spiinng wheel’.

If I click on begin update in the notices I get a ‘Communication Error’

Are the servers over loaded?

Jerry

yrrej wrote:

When I click ‘check for update’ I get a ‘please wait spiinng wheel’.

Jerry

Don’t think so - had no problem updating and it was a pretty fast (10 min) download. Have you been able to update in the past without issue?

Before this update was installed.  I was using FTP.  For that reason I had ordered a static IP from my ISP.  With this new setup in this firmware for remote access, if I got back to a dynamic IP will this new way of remote access still work?

It should. We have two ways of reaching the My Book Live. Port forwarding (through peer to peer transmissions) through UPnP or relay mode. If your router supports UPnP it should be able to open a port up (unless somethign is blocking it - visit our FAQ on the web site for more detail). Otherwise we use something called relay technology  that routes the data through our data servers. The first method is much faster, so you should strive to make sure your router supports this.

So I don’t think it really matters what your IP is (static or dynamic).

If your router allows it, reserve an IP address for your MyBookLive.  I have the IP address assigned to the NAS this way. I’ve not set a static IP address within the NAS.

SBacklin wrote:

Before this update was installed.  I was using FTP.  For that reason I had ordered a static IP from my ISP.  With this new setup in this firmware for remote access, if I got back to a dynamic IP will this new way of remote access still work?

Mine ain’t updating. Dastboard says… “Your firmware is up to date.”

Point of note…  The following file exists in /DataVolume/cache

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 161964298 Jul 21 00:08 updateFile.deb

It was there before the update attempt and still is there.  The MD5 check-sum of this file is:

9253ace5d1b08c656cd30dcf4eb67638 *updateFile.deb

Question…  Would the presence of this update file prevent the update to version 2.00.35?

Edit:  Tried again just now and the update is there and available.

I should have mentioned two things in my original summary post:

I also got a “You’re already up to date” message…  I did a MANUAL update.

After about 15 minutes, the initial backup stepped up to 90 to 100 Megabits per second transfer.    Not bad for RSYNC considering the processor at both ends…   My QNAP TS-412 to TS-412 RSYNC’s are about the same rate.

Update went in fine and dandy. :smiley:

Hey there,

Nice update! But before I update I would like to know if you changed the underlying system. Before it was Debian Lenny. I ask, because I would like to install MySQL server again as I have now.
Thank you very much!

EmKay

Mine died. I’ve tried a factory reset, and even resorted to turning it off and back on. Crazy thing is I still get emails from the NAS about events and I’m able to see the drive in explorer but I am unable to reach it via the web browser or the dashboard. When the drive restarts, LED is solid blue, blinks red and white, stays red for a long time and then starts blinking green. Had a fixed IP but factory restore changed it to DHCP. The discovery app finds the drive but cannot do a setup. Any help would be appreciated.

It’s still Debian…

I have a similar problem as VikingVol, but i didn’t do a factory reset, just the firmware upgrade. i tried to add a user and got a message that i do not have enough privileges, so i rebooted the machine and now i’m stuck.

Here more infos: 

When going onto the MBL Website it automatically gets redirected to /UI (so far so good).

Now nothing is shown in the browser (note, this is not a 404). The index.php seems to be loaded, but it does not load a webpage. i am not sure how the whole structure looked before the upgrade, but i cannot find any php or html output. 

it would be  greatly appreciated if someone tars their /var/www/UI after the working firmware upgrade.

other tips are of course fine too :slight_smile:

/edit: after waiting a bit it now works… Oo

"When I click ‘check for update’ I get a ‘please wait spiinng wheel’.

Jerry"

I got the same problem too! I couldn’t do a update automatically or manually. I rebooted the NAS and now have a whitish solid light but the drive is accessible and the short self test passed? Not sure what to do from here and still on version 1.X firmware. Any suggestions?

UPDATE: rebooted NAS and I now have a blinking green dot (some form of activity). Been like that for 1/2hr so far. WD Quickview still shows a green light and dashboard shows “MyBookLive  01.05.07”. Now have a green solid light. So I will try and do a manual update.

Same issue here - attempts to check for update, then communication error. Kept failing to reload the dashboard until I closed the browser 10 minutes later and attempted again (may be coincidence).

This time I instead downloaded the firmware update from the WD site and have attempted to do a manual upgrade - the firmware appears to have copied across successfully (browser status bar reported 100% uploaded), however the Update Firmware dialog box just sits with the spinning wheel and a “Importing file” message. It has been like this for 20 minutes now.

Thoughts? 

UPDATE: It appears to have updated successfully now, it just wasn’t relaying that info to the screen. I’d really hoped that this new firmware would fix the AFP / Time Machine issue in OS X Lion, however it doesn’t - bit frustrating - where is this on WD’s roadmap?