DNS Server

hi

i would like to set static IP adress for my MyCloud. But what should I write for DNS Server 1, 2 and 3 ?

You can use what ever DNS servers you feel like. Use your ISP’s DNS servers, use Pi-Hole’s IP address if one has a Pi-Hole setup, or use public DNS servers. Really doesn’t matter so long as you use some form of DNS server.

Screenshot_2020-08-31 A List of Free and Public DNS Servers

I have till now my router IP adress as DNS and i can connect the My Cloud device, is that correct?

Can you use your router IP address as a DNS address? Yes. If that is what you have done before then it should continue to work. Typically though people will use actual public DNS server entries in those DNS fields rather than pointing to their network router.

what for the mycloud need to connect to DNS servers?

Why does the My Cloud connect to DNS servers? Well for starters, remote access. Then there is checking for firmware updates. Then there are other services like network time protocol (NTP). Then there are the email alerts.

If you don’t know what DNS servers are used for there are any number of online articles that explain their basic function. For example:

https://www.cloudflare.com/learning/dns/what-is-dns/

What is DNS?

The Domain Name System (DNS) is the phonebook of the Internet. Humans access information online through domain names, like nytimes.com or espn.com. Web browsers interact through Internet Protocol (IP) addresses. DNS translates domain names to IP addresses so browsers can load Internet resources.

Each device connected to the Internet has a unique IP address which other machines use to find the device. DNS servers eliminate the need for humans to memorize IP addresses such as 192.168.1.1 (in IPv4), or more complex newer alphanumeric IP addresses such as 2400:cb00:2048:1::c629:d7a2 (in IPv6).