Fixing static IP Address

I have fixed a IP address for myCloud at my Netgear router, and it always showes up as that address.

Do I need to fix it at the myclud dashboard end as well?

At the moment under Network i have DHCP highlighted

If I need to set up the static address can some one explaine how I do that please

Thanks

You can find the information for doing the change in the User Manual, P. 80-81.

You can also find information about changing to static by using Help (?) provided in the Dashboard. See image below.

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)

Thanks

But the real point i wanted to know was if I have set my router to use a static IP address for MyCloud do I ALSO need to set up a static address on the MyCloud dashboard as well.

Whats does setting it up on both devices offer me ?

essexboy wrote:

Thanks

But the real point i wanted to know was if I have set my router to use a static IP address for MyCloud do I ALSO need to set up a static address on the MyCloud dashboard as well.

Whats does setting it up on both devices offer me ?

It depends how it’s set up in your router. Most new routers will use DHCP with a ‘reservation’ for certain MAC adresses. That means that your My cloud is still getting a DHCP adress from your router, but it will always be the same, since the router recognises your My cloud’s network card, thus giving it the same adress from the ‘reservation list’ every time. 

Your best of leaving the My Cloud in DHCP mode, in case you move it to a different network later, and it doesnt get an IP adress (it could be difficult to connect to it.)

thats good advice thanks

I just wondered why both devices the Router AND Mycloud gave the option of setting a static IP ?

essexboy wrote:

thats good advice thanks

I just wondered why both devices the Router AND Mycloud gave the option of setting a static IP ?

If you have a “manual” LAN environment, that will say a router without DHCP, the My Cloud have to be set to static mode. You will then have to tell the my cloud its ip adress, subnet, netmask, dns servers, and gateway, so the my cloud knows how to connect to the network/internet.  If you didn’t have a static mode on your mycloud, and you didn’t have a DHCP daemon on your router, the mycloud wouldn’t be able to connect to any network.

As mentioned before, your router isn’t really set to “static mode”, its just giving your mycloud the same ip adress every time.