Connecting an IP camera

I want to connect a few IP cameras to my WD My Cloud and use it as an FTP server. I’d like to have a different folder for each camera and access via the IP address. I don’t have a fixed IP, but I do have a Dyn DNS service. Any help on how to do this would be appreciated.

TIA Pete

If connecting the IP camera remotely then you have to enable FTP on the WD My Cloud (Dashboard → Settings → Network → Network Settings) and then you have to configure your broadband router/gateway to forward the FTP port (usually 21) to the WD My Cloud. See your broadband router/gateway administration page or manufacturer support site for more information on how to enable port forwarding on your specific model of broadband router/gateway. Then one configures the IP camera with the User name/password and one configures the FTP path to the share/folder location where the data will be saved.

If connecting the IP camera on the local network then enable FTP on the WD My Cloud (Dashboard → Settings → Network → Network Settings).  One then configures the IP camera with the User name/password and one configures the FTP path to the share/folder location where the data will be saved.

Note however that the basic FTP protocol is not secure, the login information is typically passed unencrypted and can be intercepted.

FTP authentication (login) on the WD My Cloud works based on the “User” created on the WD My Cloud. Once logged in via FTP under a specific “User” one has access to the public share/folders and to private share/folders the User has permission to access. See the WD My Cloud User Manual for more information on how to configure FTP and setup/configure Users.

2 Likes

Thank you for your swift respose and detailed instructions. I shall give theem  try in the next day or so.

Cheers

Pete

I am using my 3TB MyCloud as a FTP server for my two Foscam HD model cameras and it is working quite well. I only have the cameras recording 20 second clips every time the cameras go into  a motion alarm.
The reason I purchased the WD MyCloud was specific to using it for my cameras. Previous to this I tested things out on my Dlink DNS-320 NAS box and this worked quite well also.

Bob

Hello People,

Thank you for sharing this information with everybody!
Would any of you can refer me to a tutorial for beginners on how to connect IP cameras to record directly into the Mycloud.

Thanks in Advanced.

Check with the IP camera manufacturer for how to setup the IP camera to record to an FTP server.

One enables FTP server on the My Cloud via: Dashboard > Settings > Network > Network Services > FTP Access = On. Then use a My Cloud created User account/password as the FTP user name and login.

If you haven’t already done so you can find a little more information on setting up FTP access on the My Cloud by reading the My Cloud User Manual.

this is the bit i dont understand…Then use a My Cloud created User account/password as the FTP user name and login.

When you log into the My Cloud using FTP you must log in using a User account name and password created through the My Cloud Dashboard. Anonymous FTP login is not supported on the My Cloud.

i am not tech savvy so i dont understand hiw to do all this,i brought a camera so it can record to my cloud,i just find it too complicated to work this all out,where do i write in the p username and password?i presume the password is admin and blank

its a suneyeyes ip wireless camera cctv connecedt at moment to tinycam app on mobile,with its own sd card storage on cam

Read the user manual for the camera. it should explain how to access the camera’s FTP settings so you can input the User name/password you create (or have created) through the My Cloud Dashboard and select a location on the My Cloud where the video will be saved/streamed/uploaded. You could use the My Cloud Admin account/password if no additional User accounts have been created through the My Cloud Dashboard.

If you don’t know how to create a User account in the My Cloud Dashboard, then read the My Cloud Dashboard Help, or the My Cloud User Manual (WD Documentation). Both have sections dedicated to explaining how to create a User account.

http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=13965

i have got as far as ftp settings in the dashboard so i presume i have already have an admin username and password?

When you accessed http://wdmycloud with a web browser did it ask you to input a name and a password? If so that login information is the My Cloud administrator name and password.

Typically one would create a User through the My Cloud Dashboard specificly for their IP camera. When one creates a User, a Share (or folder) is also created at the same time by the Dashboard interface. That Share has the same name as the User name. Once the Share has been created one can restrict access (Full Access, Read Access, No Access) to that Share to one or more Users. One would then instruct the camera’s FTP interface to save images/video to that Share (or folder) location.

To enable FTP on the My Cloud one would access: Dashboard > Settings > Network > Network Services > FTP Access = ON.

ok,how do i fill in the pic then?i wrote in wdmy cloud,what should i write in?,is the username on pic is the wd my cloud usetname should be?

Again, you should really check the user manual for your specific camera for the general directions on how to setup FTP for your camera.

Based on the picture, (I assume not having read the user manual for your specific camera) you would input the My Cloud User name into the Username field, the password for that User name into the Password field. Then you would input the Share/folder location on the My Cloud into the Upload directory field. For example /Public/Shared Videos. Then leave Use HTTPS unchecked. Finally press the FTP status option to check the FTP server availability.

what would you put in where it says server in pic?sorry i am going on but i have no confidance in doing this,not got a clue what i am doing

1 Like

What does the user manual for the camera indicate one is supposed to put for that field?The IP address? Again, you really should read the camera’s user manual if you haven’t done so already. Chances are it explains what is supposed to go in the various FTP fields.

My assumption, not knowing the specific model of the camera so I could look at the user manual for it, is one would put the IP Address of the My Cloud into the Server field.

how do i find out what the ip address is to my cloud then please

There are a number of standard ways to find the IP address of the My Cloud; from accessing your network router’s administration page to right clicking on the WD My Cloud icon in Windows File Explorer Storage section and selecting Properties. One simple way to obtain the IP Address for the My Cloud is to access the My Cloud Dashboard then navigate to: Settings > Network > Network Profile > IP Address.

Path: Test Failed to delete the directory! its asking for path /ipc/…what do i put in there?