Connecting an IP camera

No idea. Again, I cannot stress this enough, read the user manual for your camera model. There is only so much help we can provide here. You really should also visit the website for the camera manufacturer to see what information they have on setting up FTP with the camera.

You should, if possible, use a web browser on a PC to configure the IP camera and not some mobile app. There may be settings not shown through a mobile app that are available through the web browser configuration for the camera.

In general, you need to make sure that the FTP “path” (for example /Public/Shared Videos) value is pointing to a folder or Share on the My Cloud that the User account has full permission to access. If they have “Read Only” access then they cannot delete content within that Share or folder. One configures the User’s access to a Share (and all of its sub contents) on the My Cloud Dashboard > Shares page.

this is the view on the suneyes app on pc how do i fill it in?what do i put
word for word in the path? we are getting there surely,dont give up

thanks phil

The “path” is the location of the folder or Share on the My Cloud that you want to save the files to when using FTP. As explained above the path will be something like this example: /Public/Shared Videos

One uses the “Test” button on that page to test if the IPCamera interface can reach the FTP path location.

ok i put this in the path,is that correct?is he rest of it correctly done?path /ipc/Public/Shared Videos

As I have said repeatedly /Public/Shared Videos is an example. It can be used but I was merely posting it as an EXAMPLE of how a path would look not that you would or should actually use that as the path.

Again without having seen the actual user manual for your IP camera I’m making guesses in this thread. My GUESS is that you don’t use “/ipc/”, rather just the actual path for the My Cloud Share or folder. Again as a pure example and not something one would or should necessarily use the path would be: /Public/Shared Videos

Generally I would assume most people would use the My Cloud Dashboard to create a separate User and by extension a Share for the specific use of holding the content uploaded by the video camera to the My Cloud. If one decides to do this the “path” would be the name of the Share or the Share name and subfolder name within that Share if one is using a subfolder location.

thanks for trying i dont know what i am doing,its all too complicated for me,i give up

1 Like

It really is not that complicated. It is simply a matter of inputting the:
Server: Which is the IP address of your My Cloud
User: A user name (or the admin name) created through the My Cloud Dashboard
Password: The password of the user (or admin) created through the My Cloud Dashboard
Path: The Share or folder location on the My Cloud

As a pure test you could use the example /Public/Shared Videos path then hit the “Test” button (indicated on your previous screen capture) to see if the IPCamera program can successfully access the My Cloud. You could even use the /Public/Shared Videos if you wanted, but that path and its contents are available to anyone on your local network (or who accesses remotely) who can access the My Cloud. Which is why people will generally use the My Cloud Dashboard to create a separate Share or User+Share, then restrict access to that Share.

As previously indicated you really should take some time to read the My Cloud User Manual if you have not done so already along with read the User Manual for your IP Camera to better understand (and demystify) both devices.

i have been told by man in maplin who sell wdmy clouds that one can’t directly record from a ip wireless camera to wdmyxcloud,one has to go through a pc or an nvr?

i have had virgin gadget resc
ue on the case to,trying hours and hours to connect the 2,all to no avail

The “man in maplin” is wrong. If the IP camera supports saving video to an FTP server then it can be saved to the My Cloud. It all has to do with the settings on the IP camera. Check your camera’s user manual or the camera manufacturer’s website for further information.

With respect to the My Cloud one has to access the My Cloud Dashboard and enable the FTP option in order for the camera to save video via FTP to the My Cloud. See WD My Cloud > Dashboard > Settings > Network > Network Services > FTP Access = On.

yes ,gadget rescue put that on,and web app for camera has ftp setting configer

this is suneyes camera app ,password left blank to enter my cloud dashboard,is this right so far? path is what i have written in my cloud[suneyes]

if you could fill this form in it might sort it i think,thanks

the above pic is in my cloud apps /create job.

You should first experiment with using an FTP client program like FileZilla (https://filezilla-project.org/) so you can get a feel for what you will see when using FTP. Plus it will also test your My Cloud FTP server access in the process and give you the correct path to use when accessing the My Cloud on the local network.

Based on the image you posted…
Server: [This is either the IP Address or the My Cloud unit name]
Port: [Leave it alone, port 21 is default]
User: [This is the User name of the user you created through the My Cloud Dashboard]
Password: [This is the password of User you created through the My Cloud Dashboard]
mkdir: [Not sure this is needed, uncheck for initial testing]
Path: [The path is typically something like /johnnytest or \johnytest]

Generally when you create a User (in your case Johnytest) through the My Cloud Dashboard it creates a corresponding Share with the same name. If you set that Share (or another Share) to Private through the My Cloud Dashboard > Shares page you must assign User access (full access, read only, no access) to that Share.

Not sure why you are using the My Cloud Apps/create Job option. You are using FTP, you are NOT creating a backup of the My Cloud. If you haven’t read the User Manual for your My Cloud you really should as it generally explains how to use the various features/options of the My Cloud including FTP. Because you are using some form of My Cloud Mirror (this subforum is generally for the single bay/single drive My Cloud which is DIFFERENT than the My Cloud Mirror) you should see the My Cloud Mirror support section to access the User Manual for your unit.

https://support.wdc.com/cat_products.aspx?ID=1

Hi Bob, I’m trying to do the same with a Foscam Camera but need to have my laptop left up and running for a motion alert to record is there way around this?

Thanks Rich

You need to set up first your WD Mycloud as an FTP sever and also set up in your FOSCAM camera setting the storage location as “FTP”.
This way the camera will directly send the video that is taken during an alarm to the WD Mycloud drive. In my router settings I have given the WD Mycloud drive and the cameras static IP addresses so nothing changes through DHCP.