Connect between two networks to play on media streamer

Hi,
My WDEx2 works fine in my home network and my Pioneer N70A plays flac files perfectly from the NAS.
Now I have created a new network in my summer house and moved the N70A there but not the NAS yet.
I am able to play the NAS content from outside with the Iphone app and link to the N70A with AirPlay but the bitrate is not good.
Is there any way to connect the N70A directly to the home network and by this to the NAS?
Appreciate any help
Åke

Are you using 5G wireless at both locations? Away from home you are going through the internet, not home network. What is your stated download speed for internet summer home? It could be a lot slower than perhaps a gigabit home network.

Hi
Thanks for answering,
No I use cabled network in both homes between item and router.
Routers are of the latest standard in both ends and I have 100 Mbit connections of Internet on both sides
The issue is to get away from Airplay ( which is limited ) and connect the N70A directly to the stream/ network?
Åke

Skickat från min iPhone

I do not know your amp, but unless it is connected to your network, I doubt it can be directly connected to the NAS, and even if so you need some sort of software/app on receiver to play directly from NAS. NAS does have Twonky for DLNA play.

I do play from NAS to my stereo in various ways. One way is through my wired network (both ways) from NAS to WDTV. No wireless used. But if I want to play to any other device, I need to use wireless, including Bluetooth or Chromecast, and of course, to iPhones and iPads.

I just checked one way, and that is from NAS to a previous iPhone (so I would not tie up my current phone). I have a Windows system, so the only Apple devices I have are phone and Pad; no AirPlay capability.

So the signal path goes from NAS to iPhone (wirelessly) and using a favorite music-playing app on phone and tapping out of iPhone headphone jack to the stereo’s AUX input. It is all direct wire except for wi-fi connecting the NAS and iPhone. Works great. Try it.

Dear Mike,
Great thanks for your reply.
If I try to understand you provided that you have understood my situation i.e that:

1. my NAS is available in my local home network and possible to connect to from outside via the iphone/ipad MyCloud app where only the last transport between second router and phone would be wireless.
  2. having said that I understand you suggest I connect the phone hearphone outlet with cable but that would men the digital/analog conversion would take place in the phone= not good at all
    The media streamer Pioneer N70A is anexcellent product and it speaks still digital with a media box which connects to the active louddpeaker wireless through a local network. Amplifier are built into each loudspeaker element (Dynaudio Xeo6 ).
    My problem-the N70A cant handle the Western Digital MyCloud app as the iphone.

I will try to ask Pioneer if I can have the Pioneer media receiver to look för an external network?

BEst regards
Åke

Skickat från min iPhone

Yeah, you are actually doing something that is a bit hard with today’s technology.

Frankly. . . .I am pretty much in the same boat of trying to have media readable on devices that are on different networks, physically located 100 miles apart. (in otherwords. . . home theater systems located in two separate homes that are not near each other). While I have been partially successful streaming from the NAS, I find it a bit more trouble than it is worth and have reverted to SIMPLER, more secure, and more reliable means.

For music. . . I have an ipod. The ipod will log onto the house network in either house just fine. . .and I can stream music from the ipod to the stereo (in one house, the stereo is ipod-airplay compatible. In the other house. . .I have an apple TV which provides identical functionality)

For movies. . . . I use Plex software and Roku Sticks. The NAS can act as a PLEX server on the internet. The Roku sticks can run Plex, and can see the NAS server across the internet. Frankly, I have had bandwidth issues, so I now use a WD Wireless Passport Pro. The Wireless passport Pro can be a plex server and stream on the local house network. . .or a just plug the passport into a laptop and use the passport as an external drive. From the laptop, I can stream to the stereo.

For true portability (Think: Long haul air travel), internet is NOT an option. The WD wireless pro (while compact) competes with other items in the carryons… . so I use the combination of a tablet with LOTS of memory and a Sandisk Connect device (works similar to a WD Wireless Pro, with limitations, but is the size of a USB stick)

What you are trying to do (I think) is have the Stereo that is one network read files from a NAS on another network. While it should be possible, most software on media devices has not been designed with internet access in mind. Plex is one such software package that thinks about multi-device and internet connectivity. Most media software packages don’t. Further. . .to establish connections you have to start thinking about internet security, which is a problem in its own rights.

My current mindset is the security compromises do not justify the dodgy benefit. (i.e. I don’t want my NAS on the internet, because it has more than just media on it).

Mike
I follow you and agree.
In my case to play the FLAC files on my media streamer I need to move the NAS physically into the other network…simply but not the way I wanted.
I was considering Plex but gave up

Great thanks anyhow Mike,
Take care
Åke

Skickat från min iPhone

Ake:

1. I agree with NAS user; this is harder than it ought to be, and
  2. I want to “thank” him for making it harder by bringing up, Plex. Sandisk Connect and wireless WD drives! I have all these devices, too, and to mention them now only confuses the issue and was unnecessary . I never mentioned them for that reason. Forget about these additions for our discussion.

So, to continue our discussion, I understand you want the same setup at the second home as you do at the first, and this includes a router, Pioneer and taking the NAS to the second location. (which could be a problem for the NAS. More on this later.) Correct so far?.

I also want to explain some differences between media servers and network shares since they affect things. The NAS can be both, and most other devices are one or the other. Receiving devices (or apps) are one or the other or can receive either way.
Examples are 1) my WDTV which can be selected to receive via media server or network shares (like data received from NAS as an attached drive on a PC via Windows SMB) In this case, the WDTV does the decoding of the digital file it receives and plays it on TV, be it music, video or photo.

In the case of receiving file via NAS as from a media server, the NAS (using its internal decoder of Twonky media server) sends a decoded audio or video signal to the receiving device (i.e. the WDTV).

The My Cloud app is a network share device, so it receives the digital file and decodes it to play on a device like a cell phone. One way to tell if your app or device is receiving encoded or decoded file is to notice if files are initially shown as folders of Music, Photos, and Videos; that is the media server (DLNA) format, but if you see folders and files show as they appear on a PC, that is network shared Windows SMB format. The NAS also shows them in either format depending on from where you look at the NAS contents on a PC’s File Explorer,

This is important so YOU know if you are receiving decoded or encoded data from NAS , and I believe you do because you want them still encoded at the receiving end, and that means you do not want to receive via DLNA.(Media server) you want to receive digitally encoded from network shares (i.e. Windows SMB).

I hope this clears up some questions for you about exactly what your are receiving at the PIONEER.

So my question for you is how does the music on the NAS get to your Pioneer via wired Ethernet, and how does it process the music so it can be played on your speakers? Does the Pioneer process the files or just play them via DLNA? BTW, a smart TV would just play them via DLNA. A smart TV is DLNA only.

Once you have read this and replied I can continue with more info; especially about the NAS.

Mike,
Very comprehensive reply,
I will create a reply by tomorrow
Best regards
Åke

Skickat från min iPhone

I don’t know if you misunderstood me but I have suceeded to connect the NAS in the home network with the summer house media player N70A i.e. by aldo using iphone or Ipad by using MyCloud and the Airplay function.
The trick was to avoid Airplay as the transfere rate is limited and the hughresolution FLAC file would be ”coded” and loose resolution, I am able to hear it.

Åke

Skickat från min iPhone

Well, perhaps I did. Is the Pioneer the media player or the stereo amp?

If you are using wireless in any way for this, always use 5G band. I hope what I wrote was useful to you in some way. I did not know AirPlay was so “bad”. I send my audio and video various ways, via wired ethernet, wireless BT, or chrome cast it. Would any of these work for you?
Do you have any other questions regarding this issue?

Sorry Mike,
I sent my answer without finallizing it
My basic concept is as you have seen sleays wired with fiber internet in both ends and routers with good quality.
You make me nervous when you say it will be tricky to move the NAS from home to summer house location?
Yes, the Pioneer N70A is the media streamer with internet radio, spotify and network player (NAS in my case), a great machine
Amplifier is today built into the loudspeakers and a media box build a own wireless network to send signal to the loudspeakers, digital cable between N70 and media box.

If you would develop what the NAS issue would be I would be greatfull

Best regards
Åke

Skickat från min iPhone

Ake,
Glad you replied again. Yes. I will explain what I meant about moving the NAS. I also want to tell you I did some research on the N70A and better understand your equipment. I see it has AirPlay built in. A component of this quality must have another way to send signal other than AirPlay if you find AirPlay undesirable, so why not use that other method of transmission. It also appears the N70A is basically sold in the Japanese market and perhaps other areas. Do you live in Japan? I live on the west coast of US; in Seattle, WA.

OK, here is the issue that concerns me regarding the NAS. First, I presume the N70A and NAS are from main home transported to your summer home, and there are two routers involved; the ones at each location.

The question is, will the second router see the NAS as the one at home does. There have been posts at this forum where people say they replaced their router and now they can’t see the NAS on the network, because second router has a different name or assigns a different IP to NAS.

This is a dilemma I will be facing soon, because I need to pull my current router that is acting up and put in a new one of same brand (Asus) and same model. I will need to be careful that it is named and set up as the first one is.

I have over 40 devices connected to my router, and they all need to connect to the replacement router. You have the same situation with two routers in the mix.

Good luck with the transition.
Mike

Mike, again thanks for taking your time.
The N70A is a great Pioneer product ( today owned by Onkyo) sold also in Europe and I live in Sweden.
My planning is at next occasion move the NAS physically from Helsinborg ( home) to Tjörn (summer locatin) 300 km north.
I will see if it creates ptoblem to hook up on the media player.
Let you know.
In the meantime I played dom CDs on my Pioneer Bluray player and it sounds already better
Åke

Skickat från min iPhone

Ake, it all sounds good. Let me know after you have moved the NAS that it all works well. I wish you success in doing so

As for me, I think I will get back to listening to music. I recently discovered and set up, a new and convenient way to play music from my DL2100 NAS by using Amazon Alexa to ask Plex to play an artist from my NAS to the stereo by asking something simple like, “Alexa, ask Plex to play The Beatles”, and a random selection of their tracks start playing to, and through,the stereo! It is a very cool way to play my music.If you want to do the same, I can send you a link for instructions. Let me know.

Enjoy the summer!
Mike

I move some equipment between two routers, and I have replaced routers in the last year.

To keep my own sanity, I use static IP addressing for key network devices like stereos and NAS type devices. I have a list of all the fixed assignments. The two routers I use the same base IP and IP assignment ranges to make things work. Things like tablets and PC’s, I use standard DHCP auto-assignment.

When replacing a router, I make sure the new router has the same DHCP IP ranges, same SSID name, and same password. (and port forwarding table if you do that sort of thing). I have had mixed success with some devices just hooking up, and others requiring a password reset.

I don’t have 40 devices on the network. Maybe 10. It’s still a pain replacing a router.

I have an old Sony high end carousel. Sound quality is indeed better than the media streaming (I am using MP3’s), which is usually from an ipod touch. However, the convenience factor of the ipod. usually wins the day relative to high fidelity.

Thanks for the heads ups. Fortunately for me, I am replacing an Asus router with same exact model (I have had a new one stashed away for this very event). Another thing I like about the Asus is that it can be the Master Browser if set that way. Yet, another thing is the router sets up “static” IPs. It generates unique and permanent IPs from each device’s MAC address using an internal algorithm.of router. Result is I never had to set static IPs. It all just works, even as I have added devices, like lots of Alexa devices and range extenders, etc over the years, it still works. Cool. The reason for replacing is the wireless signal gets flaky now and then after lots of years of use.