Clone Book Live to a new harddrive

As I mention in earlier post that one of my WD Live died while I have my second WD Live still alive. Is there a way I can clone or copy the os from my WD Live that still alive to the new harddrive witihout having to take out the drive from its encloser?

If I am understanding you right, you want to copy the OS from a new MyBookLive without opening it? And then copy the OS to a new hard drive that you are gonna put in the old MyBookLive enclosure?

If so then yes, login to the working mybooklive via PuTTY and issue the following command to copy the os partitions to your public folder.

NOTE: The 2 MyBookLives will have to be the same size or you may have to resize the data partition.

If you are cloning a 2TB to a 3TB I believe the 3TB drive will only show up as 2TB because you have cloned the partition table

dd if=/dev/sda of=/DataVolume/shares/Public/mybook.img bs=1M count=4700

Copy mybook.img to an 8+gig  NTFS usb device

Connect the new hard drive to a sata port on your computer

Boot Linux Rescue CD

Use gparted to figure out where your drives show

In terminal type:

mkdir /mnt/mybook (creates mount dir)
mount -t ntfs /dev/sda1 /mnt/mybook (mounts the usb drive with mybook.img)(May show up as sda1, sdb1, sdc1, etc in gparted)
dd if=/mnt/mybook/mybook.img of=/dev/sdb bs=1M (Copies the os partitions to the new drive)(May show up in gparted as sda,sdb,sdc, etc)

Put the new drive in the enclosure

Boot it up

Quick factory restore from the Dashboard to format the data partition

thank you for the solution. I will give it a go on this weekend. WIsh it’s alot simpler than this =) like a click and Done instead.

Btw, when you mention about the size; does that means it will copy the whole 2TB on my desktop? or it’ll just copy an OS only? Cause my local harddrive on my pc is only 300GB available. But the new harddrive in replace of the old Live is 2TB.

Your sure you have a MyBookLive network hard drive right?

I’m sure. It’s not just the harddrive storing data, but you can do many things with it. Like watch movie from your ps3, access documents from many devices/pc, etc via network…

It will copy the OS partitons to the Public folder on the MyBookLive that you issue the command on. You will then have to copy mybook.img (around 4.7GB) from your public share to a usb drive that is formatted NTFS

From the dashboard on the working drive, can you tell me what firmware it is running?

MyBookLive 02.10.09-124 : Core F/W

it’s actually a 3TB… So I guess I’ll have to buy a 3TB Harddrive.

There is another way to do this and it will allow you to buy a 1, 2, or 3 TB drive. Read the whole guide and then when you get ready to run the script, follow the instructions listed under

Only use this section of the guide if you want to debrick the hard drive and rebuild the partition table and you have already backed up all the data from the drive to another hard drive
These commands will also allow you to install a brand new 1, 2, or 3tb drive into the Mybook Live enclosure.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/GUIDE-How-to-unbrick-a-totally-dead-MBL/m-p/435724#M12669