Choosing A Wireless Adapter

How am I to know if a WD “approved”  USB wireless adapter has  a firmware version that is also WD approved?  Case in point - I’m looking at getting the ASUS  USB-N13.  The approved firmware is version 1.10  At the ASUS site, the latest firmware update is v 1.4.6.0.  If I order this unit from Newegg, there is no way of knowing what version I’ll get and therefore no way of knowing if the unit will work with the media player.  Of course, this situation applies to any other adapter and distributor.  So, how do I go about gettiing an adapter I can rely on short of ordering something, trying it out and having to pay for return shipping if the adapter doesn’t succesfully jump through the WD hoop?   An ethernet connection is not an option with my setup, so unless I can find a way of getting a wireless adapter that is guaranteed  to work, the WD player will be sent back for a refund.

First, you’re confusing a bunch of different things.  

WD Lists Hardware REVISION numbers, not FIRMWARE versions.

Second, ASUS download version 1.4.6.0 is SOFTWARE for your PC, not FIRMWARE for the adapter.

Third, you’re right.   There’s no guarantee.

Fouth, if you want a “Guaranteed” solution, which isn’t really a guarantee:  Use a wireless bridge.  Consult the FAQ section 3C.

Thanks for the clarification.  The question remains, though - how do I know if I’m ordering the correct adapter.? Neither Newegg nor ASUS give a version number for the unit, just the model # USB-N13.  WD makes a point of the version #, so I assume that it matters,but there doesn’t seem to be a way for a customer to find out if  what he’s purchasing will work.  This is annoying, at the least.

That’s why you want to buy from a place that doesn’t charge you a return fee (like Amazon) or a B/M store where you can just walk back in.  Unfortunately, there isn’t any way to know for certain otherwise.

And welcome to the forums.

I just purchased a brand new Asus USB-N13 and the WD TV LIive won’t read it. What should I do. There is no way for me to know what version it is. Will this be fixed in a future update?

Please help…can’t return it now…

If you read the forum you will find that there are adapters that do work:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Networking/Linksys-WUSB100-v2-WDTV-Plus-HD-Works-well/td-p/44382

Even if not listed on the approved devices list.

Zut-Alors wrote:

If you read the forum you will find that there are adapters that do work:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Networking/Linksys-WUSB100-v2-WDTV-Plus-HD-Works-well/td-p/44382

Even if not listed on the approved devices list.

Adaptors that are not on the approved list do work if they have similar chipsets to the approved ones. However what the poster was saying is that your version 2 does work but perhaps a version 3 may not. The adaptor suppliers do not mention the version in adverts and there is no way of telling what version you will get and therein lies the problem.

I’ve just upgraded from the regular WD HDTV player to the “Live” which will be coming tomorrow. I realize now that I should’ve bought the Live Plus because I use Netflix but right now it’s through my Tivo. These little players are great so I’ll probably upgrade once again to the Plus when I can.

I’m going to buy a wireless adapter and I was wondering if there was a particular one that everyone would agree works well with the Live and the Live Plus…a decent price would be nice but that it works well is more important.

Using 2Wire modem/router and PC is Windows7 64bit if that matters.

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

“Adaptors that are not on the approved list do work if they have similar chipsets to the approved ones. However what the poster was saying is that your version 2 does work but perhaps a version 3 may not. The adaptor suppliers do not mention the version in adverts and there is no way of telling what version you will get and therein lies the problem.”

That is correct - but on this particular adapter WUSB100 V2 is actually a current Linksys version, and will be available till whatever the next incarnation will be. Which means that if the issue with connectivity is immediate, a simple trip to the nearest electronic retailer will solve it. Obviously I can not say anything about V3 or beyond, I can only speak for what worked perfectly in my case. Which is current incarnation of Linksys WUSB100, which is V2, and not “NO VERSION NUMBER MUST BE PRESENT” as according to WD’s Compatibility chart. 

I sincerely hope that next FW WD comes out with will include better support for the external wireless adapters, because manufacturers are changing them rapidly. 99% of all adapters they have listed on a compatibility page are no longer available through any retail location!  It falls to the end users to do trial end error on figuring out what works.

And I doubt that there are that many people out there who  would go and spend $500 dollars on bunch of adapters trying to figure out which one works, and then deal with returning all but one to the store. Which is pretty much what I had to do, I looked like a crazy person at the return desk. 

802.11n/b/g 150Mbps USB 2.0 Wireless Network Dongle(ralink chipset) http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.27721 This one work, at least on my wd hd live and latest firmwire

I have a belkin adapter that is actually on the list which doesn’t work on WDTVLIVEPLUS current ver. firmware, probably because it is newer than what is on the whitelist.  I think WD’s attempt to limit problems on this issue by trying to lock-out unapproved adapters is foolish.  They are probably trying to limit tech calls or something, but as has been mentioned, they can’t keep a currently accurate list embedded in the firmware.  Open up the feature, WD, or don’t advertise it.

I agree that WD could do a better job of it.   

My opinion is that WD should sell their own.   Just like TiVo.

Add me to the list of people who bought the Asus USB-N13 (since it was on the tested and approved list!!!)

but apparently it isn’t the ‘right’ version.

So How exactly do you determine the version of the adapter?

Sofa_King wrote:

Add me to the list of people who bought the Asus USB-N13 (since it was on the tested and approved list!!!)

but apparently it isn’t the ‘right’ version.

So How exactly do you determine the version of the adapter?

The version on the list for a Asus USB-N13 is 1.10 and it is probably written on the box. However the problem you and others have discovered is that the suppliers do not mention the version.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3805

You could try:

resetting the box via the side paperclip button

reset to factory defaults via the internal menu

unplugging the unit from power for some minutes (not seconds)

Do all 3 one after the other.

Plug in your adaptor and see if it is now recognised.

A way of sidestepping the minefield of USB wireless adapter support is to look at a Wireless Bridge / Access Point solution.

It’s been discussed in this thread:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Networking/TV-Live-Plus-Easy-Wireless-Success/td-p/33250

In a nutshell, you can get a stable wireless connection independent of the Live, which then plugs in via RJ45, bypassing the need for drivers entirely.  It’s as close to a risk free solution as you’re likely to get.

Another option would be Powerline (WD make the Livewire) but that route seems more expensive and depends heavily on the quality of your electrical wiring.

I happened to already have an older Belkin model that was on the approved list prior to getting the Live.  I would not be happy seeking a USB wireless adapter now given the uncertainty and tendency of manufacturers to alter hardware / revisions without notice.

Hey all: I just purchased the WD TV Live, and I tried to connect the approved (see: http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3805#wireless)  D-Link DWA-125 wireless USB router. No go. Nothing shows up in Network setup for wireless. It’s like it doesn’t recignize the device (no lights come on, etc.)

I’d really appreciate if anyone had any insight on this.

Sam

It must be a different version than the approved one…

SamMcL wrote:

Hey all: I just purchased the WD TV Live, and I tried to connect the approved (see: http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3805#wireless)  D-Link DWA-125 wireless USB router. No go. Nothing shows up in Network setup for wireless. It’s like it doesn’t recignize the device (no lights come on, etc.)

I’d really appreciate if anyone had any insight on this.

Sam

• *If its not Version A1, FW 1.00 as the list then I’m afraid it may not work. You could try the reset method a couple of posts above and then see if its recognised.

Yeah. It was v.A2, so I took it back for a Netgear WNDA3100. Doesn’t work, either. It didn’t have a version on the box or on the item, so I figured, good, must be v.1. It’s not. This is getting frustrating. What’s WD’s problem? It seems like they just don’t want you to actually hook it to your network, or they would have made this easy. I’ve never seen a product so picky with its network connector.

SamMcL wrote:

Yeah. It was v.A2, so I took it back for a Netgear WNDA3100. Doesn’t work, either. It didn’t have a version on the box or on the item, so I figured, good, must be v.1. It’s not. This is getting frustrating. What’s WD’s problem? It seems like they just don’t want you to actually hook it to your network, or they would have made this easy. I’ve never seen a product so picky with its network connector.

I should have also said that hopefully you have the latest firmware on your unit. Some of the adaptors were only added with recent updates.