Choosing A Wireless Adapter

I see some people are frustrated by the different versioning. This is the Manufacturer’s fault, not WD’s fault. For example, for a specific model of wireless dongle, the difference between HW rev 2 and HW rev 3 often ends up being a totally different hardware solution (i.e. like switching from nVidia graphics card to ATI graphics card). You need a new software driver for the new version.

“Fouth, if you want a “Guaranteed” solution, which isn’t really a guarantee:  Use a wireless bridge.  Consult the FAQ section 3C.”

Can you please help me finding this FAQ section 3C, pulling my hair from my head soon.

Is there another way to get wifi:ed if you have bought a non working wifi USB dongle?

ToddeSwe

ToddeSwe wrote:

“Fouth, if you want a “Guaranteed” solution, which isn’t really a guarantee:  Use a wireless bridge.  Consult the FAQ section 3C.”

Can you please help me finding this FAQ section 3C, pulling my hair from my head soon.

Is there another way to get wifi:ed if you have bought a non working wifi USB dongle?

ToddeSwe

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/WDTV-FAQ/td-p/32135#connectivity

Thanks, but i will find me a new wifi dongle tomorrow… i HOPE! :slight_smile:

eh… MUST i have a N 300 mbps to be able to wach HD movies or DVD - ISO’s? Or is it ok with 54 mbps or 150 mbps?

ToddeSwe

150 will probably be fine, but I had occasional issues with ISOs and HD on 54…

So 300 it is then, just to be on the safe side :slight_smile:

I realy hope i can open the boxes in the store tomorrow to get the version/revision number of it. :slight_smile:

ToddeSwe

I currently use a Trendnet model TEW-664UB dual-band 300 Mbps 11N adaptor which streams 1080p compressed mkv video very reliably over a distance about 7 - 8 metres by line of sight.

I see occasional pauses if someone stands in the line of sight between the router and the adaptor but this is not problem most of the time.

My previous Trendnet 150 Mbps single band 11N adaptor would struggle with 1080p video but mostly played 720p OK.

Single-band N (2.4 GHz) drops down to the same data rates as G if there are any G clients associated (or worse, to B if there are any B clients.)

SIMULTANEOUS Dual-Band is STRONGLY recommended in my opinion, and keep the N-clients ONLY on the 5 Ghz band.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Single-band N (2.4 GHz) drops down to the same data rates as G if there are any G clients associated (or worse, to B if there are any B clients.)

SIMULTANEOUS Dual-Band is STRONGLY recommended in my opinion, and keep the N-clients ONLY on the 5 Ghz band.

An advantage of using a router such as the Netgear WNDR3700 which can support independent 11N 5GHz dualband and 11G 2.4GHz networks for 11G / 11B devices.

This post was intended for another thread and has been moved here http://community.wdc.com/t5/Networking/HD-over-wire-is-it-really-possible/m-p/65416#M4366