Just tested Netgear USB device (wnda3100). WD TV Live Plus does not detect it

Based on the new supported wireless USB list for WD TV Live Plus, I purchased a USB Netgear Rangemax Dual Band Wireless-N (WNDA3100) v2 (the list states N/A next to revision) and the WD TV Live Plus does not give the option for ‘wired’ and ‘wireless’.  I only see ‘Automatic’ and ‘Manual’.  So I will be taking it back.   I just wanted to give a heads up for those thinking of getting that adapter. 

EllTee wrote:

Based on the new supported wireless USB list for WD TV Live Plus, I purchased a USB Netgear Rangemax Dual Band Wireless-N (WNDA3100) v2 (the list states N/A next to revision) and the WD TV Live Plus does not give the option for ‘wired’ and ‘wireless’.  I only see ‘Automatic’ and ‘Manual’.  So I will be taking it back.   I just wanted to give a heads up for those thinking of getting that adapter. 

Have you tried resetting your unit by using ‘reset to factory defaults’, reset via button on side and unplugging from power for some minutes. That sometimes helps when adaptors cannot be recognised.

Hi richUK,

Yes, I tried both resetting to factory defaults as well as multiple plug/unplugs with the power adapter.  Also tried both USB ports.  I was even going to go as far as reflashing the device (it came with 1.03.29_B) but didn’t know if that would brick it or not.  I didn’t want to take the chance.  

I ended up ordering a powerline networking product from Netgear (at Newegg.com).   Hopefully that will do what I need without having to worry about adapter support.

Thanks. 

EllTee wrote:

Hi richUK,

Yes, I tried both resetting to factory defaults as well as multiple plug/unplugs with the power adapter.  Also tried both USB ports.  I was even going to go as far as reflashing the device (it came with 1.03.29_B) but didn’t know if that would brick it or not.  I didn’t want to take the chance.  

I ended up ordering a powerline networking product from Netgear (at Newegg.com).   Hopefully that will do what I need without having to worry about adapter support.

Thanks. 

I’m not sure how you would re-flash the unit. As far as I know there is no firmware available to re-flash.

I also have the same problem with this Netgear RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N USB Adapter (wnda3100 V2) on 2 of my new bought WD Live players.  There’s no Wireless option displayed for Network Setup.  I also tested with 2 other (unlisted of support) Rosewill wireless USB adapters getting the same issue .  I did try reset to default button; tested at my home as well as my work network.  I have spent a lot of time to get this wireless to work but  no light so far.  Feeling kinda disappointed now.  I’ll try some more days; otherwise I will have to return the players even though I like their other features.  Any helping input would be really appreciated.

According to the updated list of compatible adapters, the approved WNDA3100 adapter had NO REVISION listed.  So, a V2 would not be compatible.

Thanks Tony,

WDTV LIve also does not detect ther version 2 stick.  How often does WD update their supported devices?  Would it be included in the release that is Beta testing now?

I doubt it, but you could try it…  They’ve updated the Live with new supported devices twice, I think, since its first release.

Wish I had read this before I bothered purchasing the “approved” device.  They really need a way to just connect it via a wired connection and have the device update its drivers so we are not constrained to a device list that doesn’t actual seem valid since my Netgear WNDA3100 isn’t recognized either.  I see where a lot of folks have been able to get the D-Link 140 to work so I am going to try that one.

After trying with 4 different adapters (2 on the supported list), I was getting real frustrated and almost returned the 2 WDTV Live players.  Finally, I gave it a last try with “ROSEWILL RNX-EasyN1 R”, which worked right out of the box.  Since, I have bought 2 more of that Rosewill adapter (pretty cheap, $10-$15 each, from Newegg.com).

I wish WD integrated a working adapter into the player (pay more off course) to save users lot of time and frustration.

I bought one at Best Buy and had the same problem. After going through the list of “approved” adapters, I couldn’t find anything else. I decided to buy another one and try again–it worked! So, either they had different revision numbers (didn’t check) or t he first one was faulty (lots of refurbs on ebay) My latest problem with it though is that it doesn’t want to accept the wireless password

Make sure that your USB and your ROUTER support the SAME authentication method.   Some USB devices don’t support every authentication type (but they’re few and far between)

If you have MAC address filtering enabled on your router, make sure you add the MAC address of the new USB device to your safe list.  That perplexed me when I first tried to connect my Live up wirelessly (kept rejecting my password).  ;)

Man I wish I saw your post a little sooner.  I just did the same thing.  Purchased the same adapter and later found out it was V2.  I got the same results as you, and will be returning the adapter.  This is the second one I tried and on both occasions the adapter was on the approved list, but when I opened up the box I discovered that the version had changed (no indication on the outside of the box).

Any hints on how to purchase an approved adapter AND version?  Trial and error is getting old

Thanks