Wireless Connection

I followed the directions as to connecting to a wireless network with an external USB wireless card. When the dirctions say to choose between Wired and Wireless I dont have the option to do that on the screen. It seems as though the unit isnt recognizing the usb device. What do I do?

I just wanted to add on that the wireless card is a Belkin N150, it says that it is supported in the list.

Check the version of  your Belkin N150 it must have to be “1000” otherwise it will not work (see on side of the box of Belkin N150).

I am using D-link 150 with hardware version A1 and software version 1.00 as they have listed, oherwise I have read that D-link 150 with other versions does not work.

Once you have the correct adapter its just piece of cake to connect to your network.

Faisal. 

chrismoore09 wrote:

I just wanted to add on that the wireless card is a Belkin N150, it says that it is supported in the list.

Are you using the latest firmware? (1.02.21)

If you are then you could also try the reset solution

‘reset to factory defaults’ on internal menu

reset via side paperclip button

power off the unit for some minutes.

Do all 3 before using the unit again.

Hopefully you should now see wireless on the internal menu.

I’m having the same problem (in Kansas), I am able to connect via LAN and it works great, but it’s not the most convenient setup.  Via LAN, I’m able to run the firmware update utility and it says the istalled version IS the current version, (1.03.29_B).  I’ve run it several times hoping for a different result after reading the earlier post listing a different firmware.  After several resets , nothing changes and I still have no menu option to set up wireless.  Just to be clear(er), I’m talking about the WD TV Live Plus box.  If I could get the wireless issue fixed, I’d have ZERO complaints about it.  One other thought, I have tried 4 different wireless adapters (admittedly NONE of which is listed as being compatible) and even tho they appear to power up thru the box’s USB, they don’t appear to work or show up on my network.  I am waiting on delivery of a listed ASUS adapter, so we’ll see if the wireless setup menu magically activates when you plug in an “approved” adapter.  I guess I’m skeptical, seems like the wireless menu would be available regardless, anybody who’s gotten this to work wanna weigh in on that?  Thanks all for your input, seems like this is a great forum.

mooreman wrote:

I’m having the same problem (in Kansas), I am able to connect via LAN and it works great, but it’s not the most convenient setup.  Via LAN, I’m able to run the firmware update utility and it says the istalled version IS the current version, (1.03.29_B).  I’ve run it several times hoping for a different result after reading the earlier post listing a different firmware.  After several resets , nothing changes and I still have no menu option to set up wireless.  Just to be clear(er), I’m talking about the WD TV Live Plus box.  If I could get the wireless issue fixed, I’d have ZERO complaints about it.  One other thought, I have tried 4 different wireless adapters (admittedly NONE of which is listed as being compatible) and even tho they appear to power up thru the box’s USB, they don’t appear to work or show up on my network.  I am waiting on delivery of a listed ASUS adapter, so we’ll see if the wireless setup menu magically activates when you plug in an “approved” adapter.  I guess I’m skeptical, seems like the wireless menu would be available regardless, anybody who’s gotten this to work wanna weigh in on that?  Thanks all for your input, seems like this is a great forum.

The other poster has a WDTV Live and that is the firmware mentioned. You have the latest firmware for a WDTV Live plus. The units only support certain chipsets and that is why you have to use a particular adaptor. The ASUS adaptor has only recently been added to the approved list so I don’t know if anybody has used it yet. Hopefully the one you get is the correct version / revision. If you don’t see the adaptor when you plug it in see my post above about ‘resetting’ the unit. (Just to reassure you, if you have a supported adaptor the menu will appear)

Ok, that’s what I was wondering, if an unsupported adapter or even NO adapter is plugged in, the wireless menu will not be shown…  So whenever my Asus adapter arrives and I plug it in, then that menu option should be there.  Thank you for verifying the firmware version, I spent a bit of time browsing looking for it on the site and got pulled away before I could find it.  I’ll post back next week to this thread with the results on the new adapter.  Thanks again!

Earlier this week I bought a WDTV Live and specifically wanted it to network wireless.  I bought a DLink DWA 125 as per the list of acceptable adapters.  When I tried to run wireless it failed.  I updated to latest firmware and still no network.  Then I reset the unit, waited some time, reconnected and still no network capability.  It just would not recognise the adapter.  Tried all sorts of things expected to make it work.  It just would not recognise the adapter no matter what I did.  No way was this going to network.  Brought all back to the store.  Tried another WDTV Live unit.  Went through all the same actions and more and still no connection or recognition of the adapter.  Changed adapter and it too would not work.  Tried two more WDTV Live units and still it would not work.  I got fed up as this was taking a very long time and my patience was being tested.  In the end I was offered a refund so I took it.  I am now exploring the Seagate FreeAgent Theater Plus but having difficulty getting the wireless adaptor which I will buy before buying the unit.  It seems to be equivalent to the WDTV Live and is better looking with a nice docking station for the matching hard drive as well as taking an additional hard drive.  I look forward to better success.  The WDTV unit plays brilliantly but I want wireless networking as well for streaming.  I wish you luck if you can get your WDTV Live to work wireless without spending heaps on different adapters to get going.  Seems a waste of time and money.  By the way I am in Austyralia.

Hi

I have WD TV Live HD Media Player with 1.02.24 firmware and my question is. Which wireless USB adapter i have to buy that will be compatible with my Media player

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3805

Seems to list all compatible usb devices… I’m going to do a bit more research before purchase anything.

Which version?   1.02.24 doesn’t exist.

There’s 1.01.24 and 1.02.21, as well as the prerelease of 1.03.  :)

Hi, I can see my wireless network using the D-Link DWA-125 but i cannot get it to assign me network settings for some reason. When i enter the setting manually and run the network test it says ok for ip address but then I cannot see anything on network drives. I have 2 windows 7 machines on my network. Am i missing something?

i had the same issue, anyone has a  solution for wireless connexion?

I solved my problem by buying the Patriot Box Office.  The WD just would not cooperate with my intentions.  I gave up.  The Patriot does everything I want and is cheaper and takes a hard drive.  It is sold with the USB network adapter too.  No hunting for the adapter as I did with the Western Digital.  Great result for me and the family.  Were watching stuff we would otherwise not have been able to do with the WD.  Good luck with your challenge of getting the WD to network for you.