Can't Wake Up Device Through WiFi

Hello: When I’m remote and My Cloud Personal Storage is asleep, I can’t wake it up. If I have someone unplug and then plug it in, it will connect through WiFi. How can I wake it up remotely if it is asleep and there is nobody to cycle the power?

Here’s what I get when it is asleep:

Go to: Mycloud

Click “Sign into My Cloud” button

Enter name and password and click “Sign In”

It says “Signing In”

Then waits for about 30 Seconds

The I get this message:

Can’t connect to WDMyCloud. Here’s what you can do to try to fix the problem.

I click “Accept your device’s security certificate”

Then I get a new screen with a “Continue” button which I click.

Then I get this message:

This site can’t be reached

Device (My device number shows here.com) took too long to respond.

Try:

• Checking the connection
  • [Checking the proxy and the firewall]
  • [Running Windows Network Diagnostics](javascript:diagnoseErrors())

ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

Then I get two buttons: Reload and Details. Neither of them works.

When the device is awake, I get an option to proceed anyway. But not when it is asleep.

Thanks

@richlocus Which WD Device do you own that has wifi?

The WD MY CLOUD does not have wifi. WDMyCloudImage

Hello:
MyCloud doesn’t have WiFi. It is connected via Ethernet cable to a Comcase Router. When I’m remote, I use WiFi (i.e. Starbucks) to connect over the Internet to my Router. It, in turn, uses an Ethernet cable to talk to my MyCloud.

Hope that makes sense.

Rich

@richlocus Yes, I have two WD My Clouds that work the same way. I do own my modem and Linksys router.

Do you have everything set up in the Dashboard for Cloud Access? See example image below of mine.

In Settings>General

Thanks for the hints! If I power cycle the device, then I can use the remote connection, so I know I have the proper setup. But if the device goes to sleep, I can’t connect.
Regards,

Rich Locus

Have you tried turning off Drive Sleep when you are going away and want to be able to reach it?

Hello cat0w:
Turning off drive sleep is my next experiment. The only issue is that I don’t want to leave it in that state because I’m assuming the drive still spins and slowly wears out the bearings.

I could not find where I could set the timeout period for sleep… such as “don’t go to sleep before two hours of inactivity.”

Rich

On the gen1 the sleep time is in the file /etc/standby.conf. Not sure where it is on the Gen2.

Not sure how to get to the file path you indicated. Looks like Unix. I’m in Windows.

For the record, the WDMYCLOUD runs on Linux internally. You can access that from Windows by opening a CMD window then typing ssh root@IP_Address where IP_Address is the address assigned to your device on your network.

I can’t remember whether or not there is any password initially. I think there was no password, but it would be a good idea to add one using the Linux command passwd.