Can't use myCloud Home as Time Machine anymore with MacOS Sonoma

Hi,

I have updated my Mac to MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2 and since then I am struggling to connect WD myCloud Home as time machine. I can see the file online in the browser but it seems that I am not able to connect the Finder with Network / Server. I have tried both the below but with no success.

Software Version - Firmware is 9.5.0

Can I kindly ask for any advice on this issue?

1 Like

Go back to Ventura or don’t use Time Machine. It is not just with NAS, Time Machine backup to external SSD doesn’t work in Sonoma either.

IMO, Time Machine still broken under Sonoma. Never had this type of problem in years under several previous versions of multiple Mac OS’s. Apple Support is useless on this issue.

• Oct 16, 2023 * #3
    Yep, I’m getting this exact issue on TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.4.1 and a 2021 MBP after upgrading to Sonoma. Last snapshot I have is from the last backup from Ventura. No snapshots created since then. Along with that, time machine has become quite flaky as to if it will even complete a backup successfully when in sleep. Since I changed nothing on the TrueNAS side, I’m guessing they broke something in Sonoma.

Imgur

Hi,
Did you update from Ventura?
AFP has been deprecated from MCH.
Have you tried resetting your Time Machine backup? Try to remove it from the Time Machine panel and had it again.

Thank you for the info.
It works for me on external drive for now so I think I would probably use the external drive until a fix or an update.

The problem is not only for Time Machine - I can’t actually connect to WD using the Finder to connect to a Server or Network

I tried with smb://MyCloud-XXXXXX.local but it does not work.
I tired the other options but nothing - it always says the server is not available

To access My Cloud Home (MCH) Dashboard from browser, it is
http://MyCloud-123456.local

From there, enable MCH local access and create local name that is different than your macOS or WD credential, such as

mch1
mymchPassword
1 Like

Hi,

Yes I have done all of that already in the past since the desktop app was not supported anymore. What I can’t do is the final step to map it in my Finder from the Go > Connect to Server

Screenshot 2023-12-02 at 21.58.15

Thanks so much for all your help on this, appreciate it!

If you cannot use the hostname, you can try the ip address.

This is a Sonoma bug and Apple support should take care of it. It is a shame that a $3 trillion company can’t take care of simple samba networking and would break it in every release despite promising not to release known buggy software. This bug is supposed to be fixed in macOS 14.2 try the beta if you can access it, but staying with Ventura is always going to be better since Apple is making their users beta testers for their products.

This user in the link below was able to use AFP but that doesn’t appear to be available on the My Cloud Home any longer with the current firmware.

• Oct 2, 2023 I have an issue with Time Machine over SMB in Sonoma. The existing Time Machine backup drive (NAS share) didn’t work after the upgrade from Ventura to Sonoma. After I unmounted the NAS SMB share, Sonoma couldn’t re-mount it. The process would hang. I had to manually mount the same network share via AFP and then choose it as a Time Machine backup drive. That worked fine. So, the default network protocol for Time Machine backups in Sonoma (SMB) doesn’t work in 14.0
    Hi,
    I opened a ticket to Apple from my enterprise portal. It seems that the issue will be fixed in the next beta release.

• Tuesday at 10:33 AM

• #20 My SMB shares are timing out again in 14.1.1, anyone else seeing this?

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this. Appreciate your help.
I guess I’ll wait for the 14.2 and do the backup in my external SSD directly.

Thank you again.

Does anyone either know of the ETA on the bug fix, or a defect tracking number I can query on?

I am very uncomfortable not taking a backup over the past 2 weeks time now.

Unfortunately it appears not to work in macOS 14.2 Sonoma

• Wednesday at 3:32 AM * #22 i still have this problem with 14.2…
    I am using a QNAP NAS for years now, without changing the settings on the NAS I can not connect via finder & smb any longer. The connection dialogue shows all network share, so it somehow can connect and when selecting a share it says “the original object could not be found” (translated from the German text). When mounting via terminal it works as expected.
    For now I am using afp, at least that works without any problems.
    This whole SMB situation is a mess since Apple decided to implement their own version of it.
1 Like

After a few days, I think I have discovered the workaround. At least so far, it is working for me. The problem seems to be that Time Machine cannot create the first backup sparsebundle. I back up to three different media. My Mybook NAS, a Time capsule that I upscaled to 4TB, and a 2TB external (USB) portable. So here is the workaround:

1. Create a backup sparsebundle on an attached drive or a hi-cap Thumb Dive
  2. Copy the new sparsebundle to the NAS Time Machine folder
  3. Go back to the Mac after the copy of the sparsebundle has loaded into the NAS
  4. Point the time machine at the new NAS sparsebundle and tell it to backup.

Mine has been working like a champ ever since.