Cant get remote access to work anymore

Will keep it short and simple…

Trying to conect via wd cloud remote app on my phone,. Also tried from the windows app, still cannot connect.

This has been working fine in the past…

Router has upnp enabled. I see the upnp ports opened. I also have manual ports forwarded as always.

WD cloud dashboard shows remote access connection is established (not relay mode)

i’ve tried turning cloud access on/off but no fix.

while i will admit to somethings that i’ve been trying to get webdav working and have been messing around with the apache conf, but the original config is back in place as it was before…

When i try to connect from the remoe access app, i get error "Network connection failure (904)

The fact the drive is connected to WD and router ports are good… I cant figure out why the app wont connect.

Even trying to manually connect to using remote access codes doesnt work.

By any chance you didn’t reload Apache after making changes? “service apache2 reload or restart”. Try remove all the port forwardings from the router to your cloud, toggle the upnp off then on in between the removal. In the Dashboard cloud access set it to auto port. Toggle the cloud access off then on again. If it doesn’t work retry troubleshooting by doing manual ports both in cloud and router. For every attempt you’ll need to toggle the cloud access off then on again to update wd2go server.

Thanks Nazar but had i’already tried all of these steps… I have another wd cloud drive also. On that the remote access works fine… so im pretty sure something on this drive is not ritght…

I’ll keep trying…

thanks

No problem. If you’re not keen to reflash to fix these (usually the great fix), you can extract the necessary files from the original firmware located in rootfs.img. You’ll need a loop mount though such as debian on VM because mycloud kernel wasn’t compiled with it.

1 Like

Yeh my next step is to try to replace files from original .img. However im 99% sure that the only two or three files i did play around with, i have their originals in place, yet the remote access doesnt work.

All devices are on the same LAN.

-Remote access works from the PC using the WD cloud application, which is strange.

• Android APP gives error "Network communication (904)

-IOS app says “Device is offline”

However all ports UNPN or manual are correctly opened on the router.

WD cloud shows, remote access connection established using port forwarding.

Could you try to remove any cloud access from the user you’re trying to login from WD Dashboard? Also remove all devices from the android/iphone WD app. Then add again by using the one time code generated from WD Dashboard.

I just thought that your db got messed up when you did the modifications. If it’s port issues, you won’t get the login prompt you mentioned in the other thread when you tried to webdav using external ip.

I had already tried disabling remote access everywhere. Removing all users. Even went ahead and remove the htpasswd and htgroup files. Rebooted drive.

Enabled remote access. Added a one time code. This ends up adding a user in the htgroup file and its corresponding password in htpasswd.

For now i’ve disconnected my drive from the wd2go signin server…

Anyways, i’ve almost given up and i think i should just use the “system only” restore from the wd dasboard. I think that will revert all the changes?

another note. I am still on an older FW 3.0.1.04-139

Something must have messed up. Any clues from the logs? Try “telnet external-ip forwared-port” from your pc to the cloud see if you can connect. If yes, in the telnet session blindly copy and paste “GET / HTTP/1.0”, enter twice and see the responds. I mentioned blindly because you won’t see what you type. Or you can use netcat instead. Need to know the responds before further findings. You might also want to turn on Apache2’s access.log during troubleshooting. There’s alot to troubleshoot where usually one will jump to the last paragraph haha.

Lastly if nothing helps think you should give System Only restore a go before resorting a clean reflash. Be prepared to manually restore all the settings although your custom mods may still survives. Data definitely not affected.

finally attempted a “system only” restore via dashboard…that hosed my drive…it reboots with a solid blue light.

its pinagble, i can access my shares but no ssh or dashboard gui at all…

40 second reset cannot even  be triggered for some reason…

call WD, RMAing the drive… cant believe a simple issue escalated into something this major…

Now the new drive will come with a 4.x FW… WOULD I BE ABLE TO INSTALL AN OLDER FW MANUALLY?

Sorry to hear that… reverting to v3 is possible. You just need to change the version file and reflash v3. There’s few guides posted somewhere. Hope you get back online  soon.

so yesterday i experienced Murphy’s law at its best. I swear i’m not even kidding.

Anyways, drive is up an running. While i’ve gotten remote access to work, EVERYTHING else is broken. Los all my data, about 1.6 TB, but good thingi have a second drive which had a copy…

Even WD issues an RMA which i ended up cancelling as it it seemed an esy way out :slight_smile:

I decided to void the warratny further by opening the drive, hooking it to a PC and flashing a stock .img disk image to it.

I seem to be almost there but this time arounf having a hard time getting “flexget” to install, using my own guide i had i had put on this forum in the past :slight_smile:

Python,pip seem to be giving me some grief, i dont know why… I’ll report back later