Can't access wd my cloud dashboard/windows

Hello,

I have two wd my clouds and have never had a problem till now. One is working perfectly fine so I know my set up is correct.

However one I can not access via the dashboard, windows explorer or wd my cloud app. This is also when the HDD is directly connected to the computer via Ethernet.

I can ping the HDD 192.168.0.10 and when I go to try access via the dashboard the WD symbol comes up but all blank. Via the windows/wd md says: " can’t access device". I have troubleshooted it and windows says “device refuses remote connection”.

I have reset it holding the button in for 4 seconds, swapped cables, rebooted it, left it for hours and all different set ups. However have left it connected directly for fault finding.

Any ideas or more info ask away! Any help be much apreciated!

Thanks

Hi muffla19, welcome to the Community. Try doing a system only factory restore. Check page 110 of the manual for more information.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705103.pdf#page=115

Hello jubei04,

Its a shame am here under this situation. However glad to be here :slight_smile:

Well I have done that earlier but I did the reset while it was on (4 second), would it make a difference resetting with power off?

Hey all,

Any help would be much apreciated!

Thanks

muffla19 wrote:

Hey all,

Any help would be much apreciated!

Thanks

Hi muffla19,

Sometimes, if two of the same network drives, with the same drive name, are attached to the same network, they will conflict and one will not show up. For the sake of troubleshooting, turn off the My Cloud that is working, and then try reconnecting the second My Cloud to the network.  If it shows up, you need to rename one of them.

You can also try using WD Discovery to see if it will detect the two drives.

To do the factory restore that Jubei is talking about, you will need to do it from the drive’s user interface.  You can’t do it from outside the drive.  Also, doing a factory restore will wipe out any data on the drive.

Hi Bill,

The two drives have always worked in the past nothing has changed in my setup. Both drives have different names, I turned the working off to see but no change.

I can see both drives in “My Network”, however can only access one drive. The other drive just refuses connection and thats the same when its plugged directly into the computer or via the wd my cloud app.

Thanks

Two things:

1. Can you access the user interface, through a browser or WD Discovery, on the drive that won’t connect? Just reread your initial post.
  2. Did you convert the drive to a static ip? Or, is the drive on DHCP, but your network is running static ips?

Hi Bill,

Haha no problem :)!

There are only two items on my network with static IPs, one being the internet router and another being a standard switch. Everything else is DHCP.

the restore that was mentionaed above was the system only restore which can be done without access and does not delete data. basically pull the plug, press and hold the reset, connect power and continue to hold for 40 seconds. It is probably worth trying a little more 1st

if this is DHCP how do you know what the address is? Generally the router will show what has the IP lease but does not mean it is actually using it. Once they are working I would set static IPs outside of the routers DHCP pool.

As someone else said turn off the working one for now. then try the 4 second reset, this should request a new DHCP lease and reset passwords. See what the router shows for this now? the expiration time should change if nothing else. Can you ping the IP and device name? does the device name resolve to the same IP?

if the router information did not change then reset the router and try again

muffla19 wrote:

Hi Bill,

Haha no problem :)!

There are only two items on my network with static IPs, one being the internet router and another being a standard switch. Everything else is DHCP.

If every device is dhcp, then your router needs to be dhcp also.  If you’re going to set your router to static, you must set your devices, individually, to static assigning them an ip based on your routing table.  The switch shouldn’t need to be set with an ip, unless you are port forwarding through it.

When you reset the device, you changed the ip to the out of the box ip, which is not going to show up until your router, or you, resets it.  If you can’t access the device UI then you can’t reset the ip.  You need to change the router to dhcp so that it can assign a compatible ip on the device.  The reason the other drive is okay, is because its ip hasn’t changed.

Hey Guys,

larry0:

When i ping the drives name “GardnerTV” it resolves it and presents its IP, when i ping the IP it works also. I will be able to try the reset tomorrow.

Bill:

Well the router has a static IP which is its default 192.168.0.1, however it has DHCP enabled to issue out IP addresses. I will confirm this tomorrow and see what I can do.

However even when I connect the harddrive directly to the laptop I still cant access it? Same situation, can resolve the harddrives name and ping its IP received.

Will confirm the outcome of both things tomorrow :slight_smile:

Hey Guys,

I have had a play and this is the outcome now. I am now able to access the device via windows explorer and my WDTV Live. However still can not access the dashboard to change it to Static, lets me ping the device name and returns the IP. My WD MY Cloud, can searchs and finds both my HHD however when I connect to this HHD it fails but other one is still no problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks

muffla19 wrote:

Hey Guys,

larry0:

When i ping the drives name “GardnerTV” it resolves it and presents its IP, when i ping the IP it works also. I will be able to try the reset tomorrow.

Bill:

Well the router has a static IP which is its default 192.168.0.1, however it has DHCP enabled to issue out IP addresses. I will confirm this tomorrow and see what I can do.

However even when I connect the harddrive directly to the laptop I still cant access it? Same situation, can resolve the harddrives name and ping its IP received.

Will confirm the outcome of both things tomorrow :slight_smile:

Okay, your router is not set to static.  It is set to DHCP.  Static means that you will always have to assign the ip address that your devices will use.  If you letting the router assign them, then your router isn’t static. 

Every router made has a default IP address that never changes.  That doesn’t mean your router is set up for static ip addressing.  Static = you set the ip address for all the devices on the network, as well as in the router.  DHCP = you let the router set the ip addresses for all the devices on the network.   

Hello Bill,

My Sky Broadband Router is set to Static and everything else is DHCP which is standard config.

Attached is my settings on the router, I am going to reduce the amound of IP address for DHCP. Then assign staticly an IP for the working harddrive. However the other one I can still access via windows and WDTV however just not the dashboard?

Apologies on the delay, been away on a course.

Hello,

Well it seems could get worse! My HHD is now wiped…

However I thought factory reset, but I cant access the web gui to do this or via Putty(SSH). When using Putty it says connection refused.

Is there any other way to do this?

Are you sure the data is gone?

without the UI you can do a system only restore wich resetes everthing except shares & data. unplug the drive, press and hold the reset button as you apply power, continue to hold for 40 seconds

Well when I enter the public folder where my data was stored. It is now blank?

However as I cant access my UI I cant do anything. I type the IP address or name of the HDD into the browser and still comes up with a white screen (Blank)

I have done the 40sec reset again but nothing different.

Any ideas?

not the browser, in File explorer enter \ipaddress

what is the light on the front and 2 on the back doing?

how are you viewing data in the public share?

Hello,

I have just tried to access it using File Explorer and it fails. Either typing the IP address in or going via the Network way.

Light on front is solid green and lights on back bottom is solid green, the top is flashing green.

Well I cant view data now after the 40second reset. It populates a network error " Windows cannot access \GardnerTV or \169.254.69.122 

I know its a local IP due to being directly connected to my PC.