Can't access my Admin page

Hello,

I’ve had my “My cloud EX2 Ultra” for a few years now and haven’t used it for awhile. I recently needed to get some photographs off of it and decided to try to connect to it again.

When I turn it on the Power LED comes on and stays a solid blue however, my 2 drive indicators show solid red. Trying to trouble shoot the problem I found a video from WD that told me to type in my IP address of the EX2 Ultra into the address bar and login in as a admin. When I try to do so the message below appears…

"Please insert hard drive(s) into the slots of the My Cloud EX2 Ultra system in order to setup the system properly. To purchase hard drives, please visit the WD Store.

Once the hard drive(s) is inserted, click Continue."

Both hard drives are already inserted firmly into the case and I’ve tried rebooting, resetting my internet, even got a new router to see if that was the issue and every time I click continue the same message pops up again.

My Hard drive is showing “Offline” when I try to log in using the “My cloud” app on my MAC. Can someone please help me get this resolved. Thank you!

It appears that both hard drives have failed, which is extremely unlikely. Thus, it may simply be a bad SATA connection. Try powering off the EX2 Ultra, then removing and reinstalling each hard drive, before powering it on again.

There’s also a chance the problem could be caused by a bad power adapter.

1 Like

Thank you for your quick response…

I do believe that it is HIGHLY unlikely that both have failed because I’ve only used it a handful of times since I’ve had it. (Not sure if that matters or not)

I will say that its interesting that you mentioned it could be caused by a bad power adapter because I’m currently not using the power source that it came with. I figured since its turning on with the one that I’m using that it’s fine. Should I try purchasing the power adapter that It came with or do you think I should try to look into the SATA connection issue. If so, how would I go about doing that?

Also, if I have to reinstall each hard drive will everything on the hard drives be deleted?

You should eliminate the possibility of a bad SATA connection first.

Otherwise, a bad power adapter can produce the correct voltage and just enough current to power on the NAS, but not quite enough current to spin up both hard drives.

As a last resort, you could also try powering off the EX2 Ultra and removing drive 2, which reduces the amount of current required. Thus confirming that either one or both drives are bad, or the power adapter is failing.

1 Like

I appreciate you for your help…

One off the wall question for you… If I’m able to buy a new EX2 ultra and put my old hard drives inside of the new one. Do you think that would work? If not, at that point would say that my Hard drives have failed?

Side Note: I just tried to take out hard drive 2 and run Drive 1 only and it still didn’t do anything.

It depends. If one or both hard drives have failed, you’d simply end up back where you started. Rather than trying radical solutions, it’s best to keep things as simple as possible.

My guess is that either the power adapter is failing, or that one of the hard drives has failed in such a way as to cause neither hard drive to be recognized.

The only way to know for sure is to troubleshoot the problem, one step at a time.

1 Like

Just checked the voltage on the power adapter that I’m using and it said that it was a 5v. Looked on the back of the EX2 and it needs a 12V. I think I’ve found my issue thanks too you. I will follow up once I get a new adapter and let you know how things went.

Truly appreciate your time/help with my issue.

Indeed, 5 volts is much too low. In fact, I’m surprised it powered on at all.

Power Adapter Specifications:

• 12 Volts
  • 36 Watts (3 Amps)
  • 48 Watts (4 Amps) for 16TB and above
1 Like